Racing on the Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racing on the Computer

Jerry Stout (the King of Tracks Unlimited) talked during the drivers' meeting at Barber about how he had gained some insight by running different tracks on the computer, the tracks he was going to next.

Makes sense. I watched the same car go around Barber (YouTube) at least 100 laps before I got there, and that didn't help a whole lot. I was pretty well lost on the track for the first half of the day.

So I've joined iracing.com, and am waiting for the steering wheel controller to get here via Amazon. Racing online against other folks live. They have Road Atlanta in their track collection, where Red and I will go early December. Let's practice going through curves at 100 mph, something I've sure never done so far in real life.

To say, in a few days I may not be here messing up the forum nearly as much, as this computer is about to become a different tool RE fun time.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I hit a 20 mph L corner with a Syclone at a hair over 100 mph with a cop watching while zipping up his pants..
    So I'm sure the corner of which you speak has seen 150 mph...

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
      I hit a 20 mph L corner with a Syclone at a hair over 100 mph with a cop watching while zipping up his pants..
      Video? That's no good without video...

Comment

That's a great idea Pdub.
        I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
          That's a great idea Pdub.
          Wasn't mine originally. Jerry's the real deal, a pro. Plus, I do so "hate" to drive, computer or real. Yeah, I'm a kid, a little bitty old kid with a new passion.

Comment

Im on iRacing too. Im limited due to connection issues at my new place. I used to be a sprint car regular until this issue popped up. Patience patience patience. Get yourself through the rookie class and try and find a car/series you like. Stick with it, and you'll find yourself competing weekly with a group of guys just like here on BS.
            Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Originally posted by SSChevyManiac View Post
              Im on iRacing too. Im limited due to connection issues at my new place. I used to be a sprint car regular until this issue popped up. Patience patience patience. Get yourself through the rookie class and try and find a car/series you like. Stick with it, and you'll find yourself competing weekly with a group of guys just like here on BS.
              I'm sure looking forward to it. Amazon says the hardware (steering wheel) might get here Monday, so more dreaming in the meantime.

Let's hook up and race if we can, fun fun fun (if your connection thing heals up).

I really just want to get to know Road Atlanta. That track is haul-ass fast compared to the two I've already been on. Don't want to go there "blind."

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                and am waiting for the steering wheel controller to get here via Amazon.
                Does it come with turn signals and a horn? I kid of course.
                Last edited by Pumpkin; October 23, 2013, 04:01 PM.
                "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Orange95Z View Post
                  Does it come with turn signals and a horn? I kid of course.
                  There was an option available, they called it the Gail Shopping Cart Version 1.0. It had a horn, but no turn signal. After all, you don't want anybody around you to know what you're about to do.

Comment

I can set up a session for us to run in just fine. I just dont like racing in the "official" races and possibly causing jeopardy to people I've come to respect just as you would on a real track. I still practice with them almost weekly. You will be coming right at the beginning of season 4 for 2013. A perfect time.

You will start in street stocks and Miatas for oval and road respectively. Let me know any questions you have as ya get started. You can download the software and install it before you get any of your hardware to be ready to go when that box arrives.
                    Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Originally posted by SSChevyManiac View Post
                      Let me know any questions you have as ya get started.
                      Wow, did I ever say I love BS? Thanks man, cool!!!!!

Do I have to join a series to start with? I just want to learn the track at Road Atlanta, that's Job One.

Comment

Nope. You can use any content in any session except an official race at any time. You only need to meet certain criteria for offical races. There's even an FR500S Mustang. You *buy* the Mustang and Road America and have at it. I own both, so I can get out there with ya. Maybe this is a good time to mention its sort of an a la carte deal. You only pay for content you use, which of course means you need to pay for content you want.
                        Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Thanks so much man. I'll bet I'll be PMing you next week with detail questions if you don't mind.

So cool. So cool.

Comment

You got it Pdub.
                            Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                              Video? That's no good without video...
                              At night... Flaunting Johnny Law? At my age? And the shop I hid in is no longer there.. Got lucky once.. Next time... Doubtful!

Comment

Working...
                              X