Racing on the Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
    I was trying to be subtle. In real life one's ass feels the limits of adhesion.
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
    I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
      I was trying to be subtle. In real life one's ass feels the limits of adhesion.
      Yep. I just got done with another live session on the computer. At South Boston, I've done got hooked on that track, running legends cars. Roundy-round short track. Tonight I was a second off my best lap, same car, same setup, stock issue. I got pissed, started trying high, trying low, downshifting in the curves, braking once, braking twice, you name it. Fishing. Can't get to 17 seconds. So I finally found a combination of moves on the track that got me to my best so far - 17.39. Two helluva fast laps. Before I hit the wall. And I don't know how I did it. Can't remember, tried too many different things. I'm no race car driver, waited too late to start. A real race car driver would remember that, welded in memory, THAT's the fast way around. Nope. I have no idea how I did that. And then I wrecked anyhow.
      Last edited by pdub; November 11, 2013, 07:34 PM.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

My favorite racing games are Need For Speed Pro Street and Grid. The NFS has a Drag Racing stage WITH wheelie contests, NITROUS and a really nice building and tuning section. Grid (NOT Grid 2) is good pure driving with Trans Am and even Jalopy Racing. I prefer a gamepad to a wheel. Got hooked on going lock to lock in one flick of my thumb. Sims are sims but pure fantasy is more fun. I know there are better games on the next gen consoles but I can't bring myself to plunk down $200+ for the hardware. I AM a "grown up" after all.
        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Lemme tell ya, those guys at iracing.com are STRICT! I joined into a race a night or two ago that was already going (somebody else paid to start it). I was running 5th at South Boston and my crew chief with the Aussie accent was yelling at me, "You've got too much Damage, you have to come in!" Well, I didn't, I was driving just fine. Two quick laps later, I was ejected. Disqualified. Tonight I myself started a test session at SB, at the cost of $1.95. I was the only one on the track, somebody else was sitting in the pits, like gone to dinner or something. I hit the wall so I decided like a little kid to go the wrong way on the track - let's turn RIGHT for a change. Disqualified. Banned for reckless driving from the race I bought and started. Dang.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
            Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
            My friend JJ used to say that. He died.

that same fake feel motivates formal jobs too .. I can tell. A lot of talk...not really knowing action.

A game called need for speed. I believe that was 1999, 2000? I never played a racing game again. "porsche unleashed." I had a "leet" hacked "warez" version..
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 13, 2013, 06:00 PM.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

PDub, there are races you can enter other than the hosted sessions. Click on the green "Race Now" button on the right side of the toolbar from the home page. You should be able to select from a few series.
              Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Originally posted by SSChevyManiac View Post
                PDub, there are races you can enter other than the hosted sessions. Click on the green "Race Now" button on the right side of the toolbar from the home page. You should be able to select from a few series.
                Thanks Chevy, went there did that! There was the same 9 year old kid. He's in Concord NC and his dad races a street stock car on asphalt. That's all I know. We were at Track USA, or whatever it's called somewhere in Florida, and the kid asks, "Are you going to host a test session at South Boston tonight?" He likes that track. So we went there and while he was lapping me he asked, "Do you have a truck?" As serious as a kid could be, monotone voice. I said yes, not on the simulation, but I do have one in the driveway. He said, "The truck may be faster." A 9 year old kid.

Comment

I'm glad you're enjoying it man. We have to get together and run next week.
                  Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Originally posted by SSChevyManiac View Post
                    I'm glad you're enjoying it man. We have to get together and run next week.
                    Oh yeah.

Comment

I think I just did a real bad thing. Most of the folks on the racing platform, we have the headset/microphones, we're talking to each other while we're racing. Swapping and trading racecar setups. Here, try this, etc.

Well, racing roundy round at Track USA with a guy (I guess a guy), he never said a word. Guess he didn't have a microphone.

He was lots faster than me, no matter how we did it. Me start in front, him start in front. So he was leading by a bunch when he lost it and hit the wall, way over there.

By some twist of my imagination, I figured since I titled the session a "Demolition Derby," I figured that it would be a great thing to run right in there behind him an hit him a ton, just sitting right there against the wall.

He disappeared. And there I am on the track all by myself. A bought session.....

Hmmm. Maybe rednecks are NOT everywhere after all....Hey, dude...like Yee Haw? Like , "Hold my beer?" No, gone. I think I messed that one up.

Comment

chevymaniac and I got into a virtual demolition derby this evening...........not what DB does in real life, but....

It should have been a real race on a real track. At one point there were about 8 of us on there, the ones of us who had microphones all agreed we'd stop at the start/finish line and have ourselves a race.

So we did. There were about 4 more who don't have headsets who didn't realize what we were planning. We were stopped on the track, like the start of a race and they came tearing through there 120 mph. Shaking our doors off.

So we, quite innocently, of course, decide to gang up and block the track, and we did. Wreck fest.

And it went on after that, such fun. I'm a 56 year old kid. I admit it, I'll never grow up, I don't want to.

What a fun thing, my laugh of the week by far. I think chevy maniac liked it, too.

Comment

I've been racing online for the last 10 years. I was a beta tester for Iracing-but don't suscribe anymore. The main game I play is rFactor. The disc is cheap to buy ($20)-and the game is 100% hackable. There are 100's of mods-1000's of tracks + cars. Nascar-F1-Grand Am-you name it. Modern + historical. ALL FREE! The groups that make a mod put crazy amounts of work into getting everything right. Currently I'm racing the 67-72 Trans Am cars-at tracks around the world (we're in Aussie now). We get between 30-40 cars per race-all in our own paint jobs. (Skins). I'm also racing Late models in the ACT (American Canadian Tour) at tracks in the northeast + Canada.
                          You want to see how much people are into it? Check out www.thewayiplay.com to see some serious cockpits some build.

Heres a race ar Bathhurst from a couple of weeks ago I'm in the #15 Mustang.
                          Last edited by sdwarf36; November 21, 2013, 10:46 PM.

Comment

WOW dwarf, you guys are GOOD! Wow!

EDIT: The 9 year old kid in NC says he's driving on his dad's setup, with three screens. I don't know about all that for me. But here I am making lots of typos because I'm reaching over the steering wheel to type. Boys and their toys....no, wait.....men and their tools for entertainment!
                            Last edited by pdub; November 22, 2013, 01:40 PM.

Comment

I'm a racing addict-and its the only way to get my fix in the off season. Plus hitting reset fixxes all mistakes-quite unlike real life.

Comment

Working...
                              X