What I Learned Today - CRC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I Learned Today - CRC

Superman told me this afternoon, he grunged the rear end on the Corvette when we ran at AMP. He's got that fixed. He'll go through the transmission over the winter, his project. He's handy that way.

He said at AMP, he was getting some big wheel vibration at high speed. He messed with the tire balancing, couldn't find the answer at the tire shop. Those guys said all was well.

He , being him, finally figured it out. He's running 1/2-inch spacers for the wheels he has on there. Those spacers kept the wheels from matching up correctly with the hubs, like the lug nuts by themselves don't center the wheel up exactly.

He's got a guy making some special spacers for him that will do that.

I always knew I didn't want spacers, but I never knew all of the why not.
    Last edited by pdub; October 24, 2013, 05:31 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

machinist line for bearings. Sometimes if knowing what to measure, a fatter tread width on the same rims and spacers conquers it. My Subaru did this with rally wheels. The wheels are exact and yet got a thump like balance on first install (of course no instructions). The tires were too skinny for the rim, exceeding the bearing line. Same idea for spacers. I added one inch to a fatter tire. Gained a t-rating smooth as glass.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
    X