Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine of the weekend... Explorer mill ? Why not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine of the weekend... Explorer mill ? Why not.

Cleaning this joint is always a surprise. You never know what I bought when I was inebriated. I think I found a set of rings for an Explorer and the piston set that goes with them. They use a thin ring package, are hypers as far as I know, and have four valve reliefs with no dish.

I'm guessing about 4 cc, guess I should find a burette next?

It's strictly for the hell of it because I find it easier to move engines intact than to try to find all the parts after a move. That and I haven't run anything with open headers here in a while.

How long do you think it will take me to get distracted?

Would you bother putting decent heads on this?
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Vroom!!! Make some noise! Focus on the reward brother! Vroom!
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

You are making me really want to drive down and just witness firsthand the amount of stuff in your stash. lol
      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

You need a model A or some sort of old hoodless fenderless vehicle that you can swap engines in and out of with wreckless abandon...
        I thought I was bad about forgetting stuff I had.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

bunch of 302 stuff... boring as hell.

I have given thought and time searching for a wayward t-bucket, if for no other reason than to keep Chad happy with me!

Maybe I could pull the doghouse off an old truck and use it as the sales tool. Runs, provable... easy to remove.
          Last edited by Beagle; October 25, 2013, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post

Would you bother putting decent heads on this?
            I thought the Exploders came with equivalent to the GT40 heads?
            sigpic

Comment

it had GT40p's, they're on another engine.

I didn't measure the old block, but they are about .005 down the hole in this block where the TRW's are flush with the deck. Hmmm. Maybe I'll keep looking for ring sets, I don't think I've uncovered my secret squirrel stash yet. haha.

Comment

Edelbrocks (60cc) and an EEEEEEEE cam... I couldn't find a Bee cam (FTW!) or I'd use it.

Comment

Everybody knows I love explorer motors go for it! I thought that they had the same rings as a HO motor? I am pretty sure that is what is in my 89 so they are correct or close enough!
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

I've had good stuff rust to powder!
                    Hope you find that rough diamond!
                    You are close to Murfreesboro (dat how to spell?)
                    A 12 year old dug for 2 hours, gave up, spied a shine, found a $60,000 rough 3 karat diamond... She was HAPPPPY!
                    Wife and I are rock hounds.. Talk of going there and find enough to pay for the trip... Dreamers, the both of us!

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                      Everybody knows I love explorer motors go for it! I thought that they had the same rings as a HO motor? I am pretty sure that is what is in my 89 so they are correct or close enough!
                      metric ring pack, 2 x 1.5mm , 4.0mm oil ring

HO rings (90lx for reference, all of my forged junk is from 90 or earlier) 2 x 5/64, 3/16 oil ring.

I didn't check the 93 up "HO", may be the same as the Exploder.

/edit - win. I have 4.000 rings for the forged pistons too. I like this cleaning thing today. May be short lived, but hey, take it when you can!
                      Last edited by Beagle; October 25, 2013, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                        metric ring pack, 2 x 1.5mm , 4.0mm oil ring

HO rings (90lx for reference, all of my forged junk is from 90 or earlier) 2 x 5/64, 3/16 oil ring.

I didn't check the 93 up "HO", may be the same as the Exploder.

/edit - win. I have 4.000 rings for the forged pistons too. I like this cleaning thing today. May be short lived, but hey, take it when you can!
                        Build threads are great! I said I got Federal Mogul 2056214M-000 summit says 91-93 passenger car. It is a metric ring pack.
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                          Build threads are great! I said I got Federal Mogul 2056214M-000 summit says 91-93 passenger car. It is a metric ring pack.
                          I get 91-95 on a Sealed Power part number for a kit with that number, it's probably the same. Maybe they started the hyper in everything in 91 cars and kept the forged stuff until it ran out on the Mustangs/Lincolns? The 2000 Explorer top end kit had the GT40 intake I needed. I bought the rings separate but at the same time and never noticed until one night cleaning. MM? WTF is MM? hahaha. Oooops. That didn't sound right, I think I need fractional. Good thing those pistons are good, I'm sure I lost the receipt kind of deal. They resurfaced, so did the pistons. pfffft.

The rods are different too. I know where a good crank from a Mustang or Lincoln is, but not where the Explorer crank is. I'm thinking the forged junk goes in at this point. I moved several cranks last week, I;m pretty sure one of them was the Explorers and without a scale handy, I'm not gonna mix them. Forging ahead.. Onward, through the fog!
                          Last edited by Beagle; October 25, 2013, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                            Vroom!!! Make some noise! Focus on the reward brother! Vroom!
                            That seems a nice build in the making. I'd still run flat as pancake piston tops today given what I have learned.
                            Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

check this out Russell ...

Forged 89 Lincoln on the left, Hypereutectic 2000 Explorer on the right. Take a look at the piston skirt and rod big end differences... the rods kinda look beefier on the right?

Forged pistons historically get complaints for slapping when they are cold. I guess they wanted these hypers to be quiet.

I need a scale. Wonder what HF has on sale..

/edited pics and noticed the Hypers are drilled for pin oiling too.
                              Last edited by Beagle; October 25, 2013, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X