Let's talk family cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk family cars

Well it's getting to be that time where I need to get something reliable and can fit two car seats in the back with ease. My wife's trailblazer will be paid off in December so I am looking towards the front row rather than the back row.
    So far I really like the g8 gt. But those thing hold a value like crazy. 08-09's for $20k. Also the charger/300 but I am not fond of their looks. Then from ford you get the crown vic. I have had one liked it but I don't know if I would buy one again.
    I would like v8 rwd but options are limited. If you go to a sporty four door u can get a Taurus sho which would be ok.
    I don't know. What other makes/models are out there? Sporty/4 door/rwd(or awd).
    Jeff
    Follow My Build

Impreza? Yeah, I really said that.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Best four door v8 in my opionion is the 94-96 Impala SS. I don't know what your driving everyday now, (and some people would rather die than get a older car than what they started with 'even if it was better taken care of and has less miles) Buick Roadmaster wagons have the same motor with a in door truck bed and fold down third seat.

Edit. Subaru WRX if you don't like the above option.
      Last edited by Dan Barlow; October 25, 2013, 12:26 PM.
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

The g8 gt was a high 30's car.. but I'd stick with something you can get body parts for if needed..
        why not a chevy SS it's as close to a g8 gt as you can get and it be NEW.. buy the dealer demo.. it's the end of the year
        Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; October 25, 2013, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Find a lower mileage Dodge Magnum? We really like ours. Back seat has even more legroom than the front, good mileage (great aero) and even tows a decent trailer.

90,000 miles on it, got it with 38. No major problems.
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Stiney, are the front seats comfortable? Long trips? I would really like to be able to buy new but $35k is it out of my range. $20 would be closer. I am not apposed to older but My wife has specifically told me no more $500 cars. It's time for a car payment.
            Jeff
            Follow My Build

Comment

My wife's G8 Gt was 24k used with 19,000 miles on it. It's a very good riding and handling car,and runs pretty good also.

They do have issues. The door molding rubber is bad on my wife's car already,and the so are the moldings around the windshield. The windshield appears to be delaminating as well. The transmission programming is weird from the factory. It works better in Sport and manual of course,but it's kinda out to lunch in regular mode. A tune does wonders for those cars,and I definitely am looking into doing that in the future.

The DOD cam and lifters have been trouble,and the Lower Control arms and strut rod bushings are a problem as well.
              No issues with the DOD yet,but I think we're starting to get the suspension issues. We also got the motor mounts replaced under warranty. You could feel a bad vibration in the steering wheel when the AFM/DOD kicked in with the old mounts.

I LOVE the car though. I think it's one of the best car designs ever. My wife's car has Camaro 20's all the way around,and they really work well with the car.

Maybe the new SS will have all these quirks worked out. I think the front end of the G8 looks better,but the SS is very sharp IMO!

Prowl around on www.g8board.com and read up on the G8. It's a very informative site!
              Last edited by Karberator; October 25, 2013, 01:05 PM.
              sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

Originally posted by 1trickpony View Post
                Stiney, are the front seats comfortable? Long trips? I would really like to be able to buy new but $35k is it out of my range. $20 would be closer. I am not apposed to older but My wife has specifically told me no more $500 cars. It's time for a car payment.
                Front seats are super comfortable. Not overly cushy like the overstuffed 80's interiors, not rough or harsh like a sports car. Think European tourer interior & comfort, that's basically it. We paid 22,000 and it was loaded.
                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                  The g8 gt was a high 30's car.. but I'd stick with something you can get body parts for if needed..
                  why not a chevy SS it's as close to a g8 gt as you can get and it be NEW.. buy the dealer demo.. it's the end of the year
                  Agreed, lots of room, lots of power but I've been pricing them and they are difficult to find in your range
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Bruab seemed pretty impressed with the SHO but man, she's a big girl.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Cts-v. Ooooh

Why isn't there more options for a car guy with a couple kids?
                      I mean, what if they put a coyote in a Taurus with a 6speed. I don't think there would be many left on the lot.
                      Jeff
                      Follow My Build

Comment

I too have a 09 G8 GT . Its been pretty good its got 50k on it now I did front brakes and rotors. No suspension problems (yet) other than the ball joint boots which were recalled when I first got it in the summer of 09. It runs strong but its heavy,my brothers 87 t-type will spank it no problem. Parts shouldnt be a problem now that the cops have those new Caprices which are very similar. What about a Caddy cts even the first gen V model is pretty affordable and they haul ass but only come in a stick. I dont how the climate is where you live but we just got a Legacy AWD its pretty nice (Spidey, please dont kill me) built in Indiana I think.
                        Last edited by antmnte; October 25, 2013, 02:37 PM.

Comment

I live in northern iowa. Winter doesn't bother me and if it gets very bad I can drive the wife's 4x4. She works in town and I work 10 miles away.i guess I just want something with a soul.
                          Jeff
                          Follow My Build

Comment

DD's dont need soul. Thats what the Mustangs for...
                            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

It's always nice when the DD has a soul..
                              Drove, rode in a CTS.. even the V-6 was plenty powerful.. Son was driving..0-90-0-90-0-90-15 on my street late at night coming back from a 4 hour one way trip.. Impressive! Then get the V in a wagon! I normally hobble- limp 3-6 steps when I first get out of cars... Stand a while before taking a step, did not have to do that with the CTS!
                              Daughter replaced it with a Yukon.. She misses it.. The Tahoe/Yukon is very nice riding and comfy..
                              Have no other experiences with newer " payment type" cars/trucks

Comment

Working...
                              X