It's happening again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's happening again...

Certain folks want a national speed limit...

I like it the way it is now, with states making the decision...

What do you guys and gals think?

Re: It's happening again...

I'm shocked...someone finally mentioned the dreaded "C" word? (conservation)

Although this time around, cars are aerodynamic, unlike in the 70s, so it would be pretty much pointless.

Also there doesn't seem to be any shortage of gasoline, and you can go slower if you want to and get better mileage (with some vehicles it makes a noticeable difference).

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
      Also there doesn't seem to be any shortage of gasoline,
      That's the kicker that I see. We are not in such a shortage to need laws, raising prices will make people conserve, it's already happening. And prices are way more flexible than government :P
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

The 55 MPH limit is a joke.

It didn't work then, it won't work now.

People were speeding than, that's not gonna change now.......personally, I'd be in favor of eliminating the split-speed limits for passenger cars and commercial vehicles.

Then again, that's more of an issue of safety than conservation.

I've found ways of saving fuel, being smarter about my driving habits in both my personal vehicles and the semi I make a living with. Last thing I need is some stuffed shirt trying to legislate more of my liberties away....

Comment

I agree. Conservation is the key...

Comment

if they write enough tickets will they cut my taxes

the people are getting angry , they may storm the capitol with the pitchforks
            like the pricks who think it is a splendid time to raise gas taxes to european levels , mayor bloomberg , that way us silly americans will park our thirsty 4 cylinders and take the bus

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan

like the pricks who think it is a splendid time to raise gas taxes to european levels , mayor bloomberg , that way us silly americans will park our thirsty 4 cylinders and take the bus
              It is not a gas tax but a commuter tax... London just got rid of their commuter tax... Honestly, it is not for conservation of gas, but of space... It can take me up to an hour to get corss town due to traffic/time of day due to traffic... Why would you want to drive into NYC when you could take a train or a bus? It has worked very well for me over the last 25 years that I have had to use NY public trans...

I have no choice but to drive in NYC for work, there is no way around it. However, if I am going to a Yankee game/Met game I don't drive... If I go to see a show, I take public transit... Besides they still serve brew on the LIRR.

What this does is preserve my sanity. What little I have left...

Comment

I never pay attention to those signs anyway ;)

Comment

if they lower the speed limit then they should lower gas prices!!!
                  it's only fair!!!!

Comment

I can't even drive 55 in my truck! It's like watching grass grow. Didn't work then, won't work now.
                    Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Back in the seventies most cars would actually get better gas mileage at 55mph. Modern cars actually have good aerodynamics that don't require near as much road horsepower at speed, and most are geared so high in overdrive that some (like my truck) will actually get worse fuel economy at 55 than at 70. It's politics versus reality as usual. :

Comment

Originally posted by bnjny
                        Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan

It is not a gas tax but a commuter tax... London just got rid of their commuter tax... Honestly, it is not for conservation of gas, but of space... It can take me up to an hour to get corss town due to traffic/time of day due to traffic... Why would you want to drive into NYC when you could take a train or a bus? It has worked very well for me over the last 25 years that I have had to use NY public trans...

I have no choice but to drive in NYC for work, there is no way around it. However, if I am going to a Yankee game/Met game I don't drive... If I go to see a show, I take public transit... Besides they still serve brew on the LIRR.

What this does is preserve my sanity. What little I have left...
                        I used to love blasting around the city in my K5 Blazer , with the hooker super comps and flowmasters , setting alarms off , NYC is a wonderful place , party time , the merc was cool in the city too , top down, in primer , did not worry about too much , bloomberg is a do gooder fool , smoking ban , trans fat ban , but crime rate is skyrocketing , rudy's policies are getting pushed aside , may get like the seventies again

Comment

Originally posted by bnjny
                          Certain folks want a national speed limit...

I like it the way it is now, with states making the decision...

What do you guys and gals think?
                          Personally I am a libertarian (within reason). If traffic is light and I am on a divided highway, I don't care how fast you drive past me. Likewise I don't want anyone else imposing their two cents on me in a similar situation.
                          a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

This makes no sense. Someone teach these people economics and physics please!
                            1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
                            1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by 1970camaroRS
                              This makes no sense. Someone teach these people economics and physics please!

That doesn't apply to politics or politicians......
                              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Working...
                              X