Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frequent Flyers Question

OK Folks -
    What's the cheapest day to buy airline tickets? I've always heard Tuesday at 3:00 PM but I don't know if that's an old wives' tale or not.

Me and my bros and some other folks are getting together in Nawleans over Christmas for fun and an effort to stay in touch now that Mom's gone. We've only spent an overnight there and it looked like an interesting place so I'm looking forward to it. Just me this trip as ME is tied up with church stuff.

Anyhow, I'm trying to do this on the cheap so any suggestions would be appreciated. Tickets today round trip from Charlotte (I'll have to drive to Charlotte because fights from ILM (Wilmington) are NOT cheap on this route) are $400 on a schedule that I can live with.

As always, thanks for whatever input you may have.

Dan

Your retired.......I'd drive. Other than that, I'm no help.
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
      Your retired.......I'd drive. Other than that, I'm no help.
      I'm not much either, though I flew to work for a living some years ago.

Charlotte? I can draw you a picture of the inside of that airport from memory.

Charlotte's cheap because it's a hub. If you start from anywhere like Wilmington (or Chattanooga here) you pay a premium.

As far as time of day, or which day to purchase a ticket, I don't know those things. Other than at least two weeks before departure, that's cheaper than the day before by a whole lot.

I can only thank my lucky stars that I don't have to fly anymore. Didn't like it then, wouldn't like it now. The whole thing.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Hub!
        Like OMAHA!
        Not like Des Moines....
        Cheaper by far to fly into Omaha, rent a car and drive to Des Moines and back!
        Need to check out if that is possible for you to do..
        Same as flying out of Oregon.. Eugene was an easier drive and shorter by 15-30 min but Portland was always cheaper,

Comment

nothing in December is cheap. Avoid the holidays or months that are mostly holiday (especially ones where kids have time off).

As far as cheapest day - Saturday, Tuesday, Wednesday.... and generally Saturday is the cheapest day.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

It's interesting that so far the Saturday flight there is the priciest but the flight home on Christmas Day is pretty cheap. Evidently no one wants to fly on Christmas Day.

Normally I would drive but I'm trying to be frugal. Part of the problem is that parking is an issue in downtown New Orleans - and expensive. Besides, I'd need to stay overnight on the way out and back as well as the fuel, extra days of eating out, etc. I looked into the train and even the bus (yecch!) and both were more expensive than the plane not including meals and other expenses. So flying so far is the best deal. We'll have several cars among us so in-town transportation is covered.

Guess I'll check prices on Tuesday and see what that looks like. Supposed to be the day discounts are posted and they aren't supposed to last very long.

Thanks for your input

Dan
            Last edited by DanStokes; October 27, 2013, 05:46 AM.

Comment

I fly several times a year....when I fly on the cheap I book on Southwest.
              You usually pay up front for tickets to get the biggest savings.

Check out this link.
              Schedule is for leaving Charlotte on Dec 25 and returning Jan2

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

My thoughts are this:

1) If using Orbitz or other travel site, make sure you delete your cookies before going back to them. I have been told (but not really looked into it) that they raise the price each time you come back.
                2) As for date that you make your reservations, I don't see that as being important. My experience has been with business travel which is made around a business event, so the dates I travel were more important. That being said, what is important is what days you fly and how long you are there. Flying on Christmas day is probably less expensive, but the days before and after are going to be outrageous.
                3) Look at all airports you are willing to drive to. Different airlines serve different airports (especially the small ones). You may find that flying out of a podunk airport 60 miles away may save you $$ because the same airline serves NO.

Other than that, no help. But on another note- New Orleans on Christmas? That would be the last place I would go for Christmas. Its a sewer to begin with, there isn't enough Christmas cheer in the world to gloss that over.
                Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

I used to go to New Orleans on the weekends when I was stationed in Gulfport many years ago......town
                  can get a little edgey.

We took a cruise out of there last year and things have change a little.
                  Drago's and Cafe Du Monde are a couple of must do's from my perspective.

Orbitz is a good choice.....my son uses it a lot.
                  Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

The dates are pretty well set as 12/21 to 12/25 - that's when everyone can make it. Some of these poor slobs still have to attend (I HATE this word) work. I have a relatively inexpensive hotel booked already.

I've used Cheaptckets with some success. I guess I'm hoping against hope to find a cheaper flight.

The itinerary is somewhat set. Cafe DuMonde for sure (though I have no clue what I'll have there W/O sugar, also the Voodoo Museum (next door to my bros hotel), the WWII Museum/Higgins boat restoration and Lucky Dogs (interestingly linked), and we'll catch Villa Lobos, the pit bull rescue featured on "Pit Bulls and Parolees" on Animal Planet. No doubt lots of other stuff too.

Brother Dave LOVES NOLA and he organized this deal so that's where we're going. Like NYC (which I hate), people either love or hate New Orleans. Dave's worried that the place will become gentrified following Katrina and lose it's edge so we'll see how that's going. ME and I enjoyed our limited time there.

Dan

Comment

everytime we've booked, a Wednesday flight was the cheapest..
                      booking them, I've watched them daily for 2 weeks straight and it seems to be , at least most of the time tues am, before the workday starts,
                      We've got round trip for one way price, a few times, by letting (offering) to be bumped to the next flight when they've over booked it. (and they do, and x-mas week, it'll more likely than not be over booked, flew boston to lax first class round trip, for the cost of a economy one way ticket more than once..

Comment

Cool!
                        It is ALL in the upbringing of the pits! I talk to them and pet them while they eat..
                        Mine get overexcited.. Not allowed to play biting games with feet or hands.. Play tug o war and they will pull me out of my recliner.. My grandbabies love to roll around on the floor with them and use them for pillows..
                        Hope your visit to the rescue is top notch! Remember, those dogs were likely abused..

Comment

I went on line today and the flights were $100 less than yesterday and some different flight times showed up - wazzup wid dat? Anyhow, I'll try the Tuesday thing and see what that yields. If you want to you can spend $1000 on this trip on Jet Blue. Do the flight attendants provide "special services" or something? Let's see - $306 or $1000 - which shall I choose........

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                            I went on line today and the flights were $100 less than yesterday and some different flight times showed up - wazzup wid dat? Anyhow, I'll try the Tuesday thing and see what that yields. If you want to you can spend $1000 on this trip on Jet Blue. Do the flight attendants provide "special services" or something? Let's see - $306 or $1000 - which shall I choose........

Dan
                            Coffee, tea or me
                            Thom

Comment

Air travel rates

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dan
                              Dan try TRAVELZOO.com

Comment

Working...
                              X