Help a Drag Racer ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help a Drag Racer ....

Not sure if anyone follows PSCA or SCSN but a very popular Driver Artis Houston who runs in PSCA Wild street in his 1971 Chevy Nova . This last Saturday during Test n Tune at NMCA race in Famosa / Bakersfield he hit the wall very hard at 160mph and destroyed his car

Artis took a very hard hit into the wall in the shutdown area during Friday's test n tune after something in the drive train locked up . his Racepack data showed that the engine decelerated from 8147 RPM to 1404 RPM in .7 seconds . The damage to his Nova is pretty bad destroying most of the r/side of the car

He is a fierce competitor in PSCA Wild street and a favorite going into SCSN IX

the only pics i can find of the damage to his Nova ..

his Racepack data showed that the engine decelerated from 8147 RPM to 1404 RPM in .7 seconds. Ouch.

here's pics i found ..

found this on YB ...

Hello Folks. First let me apologize for the long wait to reply. Reception at the race track is sketchy so I wasn't able to log onto YB. Thank you Minitrucker29 for starting this post, Eric Pedersen for texting me the link and everyone else in here...especially my boy Tim Rigby from way back. We been riding the highways together since 2001 or 2, when my car still had spider webs in it (while it was getting built lol). And Capslock, man if you are able to do the transport of parts...I would love it. Funny thing is I was just looking at your sticker on my car from No Mercy the other day. The feeling I am getting right now humbles me to no end...really appreciate all the kind words from everyone. It means the world to me, especially at this moment. To see my car beat up like it is, my first thought is "Well, is it over????? Then my heart just sank and I went it to "what did I do wrong mode?" But seeing all this gives me hope that things will work out ok.

As for the accident, something locked up in the drivetrain during deceleration and it took control of the car and I was along for the ride. Thankful God allowed me to walk away from this. I have never experienced complete silence in the car so fast, which kind of tells me the rear tires were airborne...further explaining why I had no control of the direction the car was going before impact. With that said, I am truly blessed and fortunate to be typing right now, WITHOUT ANY PAIN WHATSOEVER!

As for the car, well I have not made a full assessment of damage, but the track personnel and myself feel the car is totally saveable. But it's gonna take a lot to rebuild it. As much as I would loveee to make SCSN...Im not confident that can happen with all the expenses and time needed associated with this rebuild. But just to race again would go so so far with me. So here is the initial list just based on initial viewing, without taking the car apart:

-Smithracecraft Frontend (with coil over shock mount cups), A-arms and Rack and pinion
    -Front V-Series Weld wheel (Standard back spacing I believe 2.25?)
    -Rear V-Series Weld wheel 15 x 11 6 inch back space
    -Steel Rear quarter panel and passenger door for a '71 Nova
    -Gonna need Rods and pistons as well (Motor decelerated from 8147 rpm to 1404 rpm in .7 secs) Racepak confirmed
    -Want to thank Unlimited Products for stepping up on all necessary fiberglass parts
    -Mike's Transmission for always being there for me to dissect and repair as needed
    -Haven't spoken to my good friend Joe Rivera at Pro Torque yet, but he will be getting a box soon
    -I think my buddy Jack will be doing all the body and paint? work..depending on the rebuild schedule of course.
    -And lastly, I will be back at Jason Pettis's shop (Pettis Performance) at some point to get the motor rebuilt

So as you can see, its gonna be pretty costly to repair all that needs to be done. If anyone can assist with buying some parts that I will have for sale, that will be awesome. I ask that if/when someone donates parts, funds or time in getting it apart and back together...please be patient if it takes a while for this to get completed. I am going to do my very best to get it done as quick as I can, but as an experienced racer, these things can take time.

Thank you very much and I look forward to what's to come. Thank you all for giving me some hope again.

*Induction-Solutions
    *SCE Gaskets
    *Menscer Motorsports
    *Pettis Performance
    *BES Cylinder Heads
    *Calvert Racing
    *Pro Torque Converters
    *Mickey Thompson Tires
    *Speedwire System2
    *CFM Carburetors
    *Eric
    *Unlimited Performance Products
    *Mike's Transmissions

Ouch! 0.7 sec from 8100 revs to 1400 revs... That must been weird!

I'm guessing, you are friends with Artis? ...

Either way... Congrats on no pain!
    Hope the build goes well.. And nothing "bad " is found..

Comment

Working...
    X