Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vintage rocket dragster action (Sammy Miller!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage rocket dragster action (Sammy Miller!)

No one has ever gone quicker and faster down a 1/4 mile strip than Sammy Miller in his rocket dragster. We're talking 3.50's @ 380 mph kinda stuff...and like 30 years ago to boot!

The rockets were one heck of a sideshow act at their peak, but when the market of ultra pure hydrogen peroxide dried up and the cars were banned virtually everywhere but Europe, they faded off into the sunset, but Miller kept on to become the quickest and fastest guy ever.

This is a vintage video of one Sammy and a record attempt at Santa Pod.

Spidey...he was a Jersey boy. Must be a hero of yours!

Considering that this thing weighed 1000 (maybe a shade over) stopping was not a huge issue, also the fact that there's no chance of a stuck throttle because it only gets enough fuel to make it down the track.

Clip from, www.ukdrn.co.uk RIP. Sammy Miller.(www.ukdrn.co.uk) Please give this great site a visit for nostalgic drag racing clips.

That is some AWESOME stuff right there.

Dieselgeek...I don't care how good you are, you ain't mega-squirtin' that thing!

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Re: Vintage rocket dragster action (Sammy Miller!)

cool stuff,

they sure don't make guys like sammy miller anymore.
    Originally posted by TC
    also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

And our pal Atwell owns his old Vega F/C!

Comment

Sounds like you need to start scaring up some Hydrogen Peroxide!

The funny thing is a hydrogen peroxide rocket car is a truly green vhicle that generates steam as it's only by product...aside from the cerebellum flattening acceleration.

Atwell is just crazy enough to drive the f'r too. I'll never forget the sight of his (real) Hemi Dart taking off ramps on Drag Week 1. The Andrea Doria comes to mind.

Brian

Comment

slammin sammy miller
          still holds the all time quarter mile record at [me thinks ] 3.35
          englishtown legend like jungle jim liberman , bezerko bob doerr , benny the bomb

Comment

didn't he, while hanging out at a bar at half moon bay, come up with the idea of using a parachute on the back of car to slow it down?
            i believe one of the test sessions included tying a chute to the tail gate of a old pick-up truck, while someone in the back tossed it out at a pre dissucsed speed?

Originally posted by TC

Comment

Not sure if you mean something more specific, but Bill Simpsonm in the late 1950's seems to lay claim to that title.

The story about chucking out the back of a truck (or some other odd vehicle) is part of Simpson's book and it's hilarious as the 'chute was so big it lifted the thing nearly straight up in the air.

Brian

Comment

ok, i wasn't sure,

i seem to remember a hot rod artical, called "worm hole" or something like that with a similar story.

i still remember his crazy nitro small blocks though.
                Originally posted by TC

Comment

I think the rocket funnycar is a Mustang 2, Met Steve Atwell at the Mid Michigan Motorplex once, seemed cool and put up with me drooling over the dart. Man I hope he runs that thing I would pay to see it

Comment

romeo palamides probably - drag racing early genius

Comment

That is too cool.....I wonder why that never took off like jet cars ???

I would love to see it...

Seth
                      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Seth,

The violent deaths were one thing....and the lack of fuel (90% pure hydrogen peroxide) was another.

I guess the other problem was that they didn't have the flash of the jets with the smoke and fire show. It was a blast followed by the big "woosh" and it was over.

Lots of strips didn't have scoreboards like they all do now and many tracks would not announce or would fibb on the elapsed time run by the cars, fearing reprisel from the insurance man if they did.

THUNDERLUNGS....WHERE ARE YOU!

I KNOW Jon Lundberg called some of these babies in action. One old salt I spoke to about 6 months ago said they would see numbers well over 300mph in the tower but the track owner would only allow him to announcer 275mph, so that's how fast it went...on every run.

Neat (but fairly short) chapter in history.

Brian

Comment

NJ used to have a land speed limit of 300 mph = had to be adjusted
                          maybe it will make a comeback

Comment

Working...
                          X