Stuff that scared the hell out of you as a kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuff that scared the hell out of you as a kid

Halloween being tomorrow, the conversation here at the Lohnes manse shifted onto stuff that scared us to the bones as kids.

I remember being absolutely traumatized the first time I saw the Michael Jackson video for Thriller. It came out in '83 and I think I first saw it in 85 or 86. Pure terror.

The thing that still freaks me out to this day is the show Unsolved Mysteries. Robert Stack was always lit weird and standing in fog. Topping that off, every episode had these horrible stories of random bad stuff happening to people. I still can't even think of that show without getting the willies.
    That which you manifest is before you.

I liked that show, unsolved mysteries. I don't think I was a kid when that was on TV. I am getting old. My first terror is shadow without the sun to make sense of it. I fear nuclear and other oddities. A common one for kids was being afraid of big and hairy people. I come from that, so I had no fears
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Despite being way younger, my parents will cite Thriller as terrifying me. Not to be outdone, I used to have nightmares of "Big Boys" aka semis driving into my room at night. The air brakes bleeding off used to scare the piss out of me. What a sissy. Now I shoot guns with a shit eating grin on my face.
      Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

The flying monkeys in Wizard of Oz. Everybody else was afraid of the Wicked Witch. Not me, it was those danged flying monkeys she had.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by SSChevyManiac View Post
          Despite being way younger, my parents will cite Thriller as terrifying me. Not to be outdone, I used to have nightmares of "Big Boys" aka semis driving into my room at night. The air brakes bleeding off used to scare the piss out of me. What a sissy. Now I shoot guns with a shit eating grin on my face.

DUDE ME TOO!!! I hated having a bed room in the front of the house, I was terrified a semi would drive through.

and spontaneous combustion. between big truck smashing into my room and bursting into flames, its amazing I ever slept.
          and my Mom. wow, not going there!!
          Charles

Comment

I got left alone a lot as a kid. That did not scare me until one night when I was nine, there was a knock at the door and when I asked who was there and the answer was "Stranger Face". I still spent a lot of time alone and have for many years but I'm much bigger and scary myself now.
            Last edited by 68scott385; October 30, 2013, 05:16 PM.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

A movie called "The Creature From the Black Lagoon".......
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
                I got left alone a lot as a kid. That did not scare me until one night when I was nine, there was a knock at the door and when I asked who was there and the answer was "Stranger Face". I still spent a lot of time alone and have for many years but I'm much bigger and scary myself now.
                Unsolved Mysteries scenario right there. Horrifying.
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I couldn't sleep for days after watching the movie, "Trilogy of Terror."
                  It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I'm older than you guys. Two words - The Bomb. It was real for us in those times.

Dan

Comment

Children of the Corn.

x2 on Flying Monkees. Hid behind the couch.
                      1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                        The flying monkeys in Wizard of Oz. Everybody else was afraid of the Wicked Witch. Not me, it was those danged flying monkeys she had.
                        Oh hell yes. I hadn't even thought about those damn things for years and there ya go getting me all freaked out.

Only thing that tops that for me is "IT". The movie "IT" to be exact. The time when the clown turns around with its fangs out for the first time. That REALLY does it for me.
                        Attached Files
                        The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Comment

Well it wasn't a TV show or a Movie, it was the next door neighbor "Mabel" when we lived in Decatur, she hated Kids and was mean as Hell, she'd probably be arrested these days. Anyway I was around 5 years old and riding my bike on the sidewalk and fell into her Flower bed that was between her Porch and the side walk, she was out on the Porch with a Broom and stood there looking down at me, at that instant time stood still, I didn't know if she was going to beat me with it or fly away on it!
                          sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Flying monkeys...check.
                            The Movie "Ben" I walked myself to a movie theatre in San Pablo Ca,1970ish to see LaMans, it wasnt out yet so I went in to see "Ben" scared the !@#$ out of me.
                            I still do not waste a dime on "scary" movies.

The head scene in Jaws gets me everytime and I bet Ive seen that movie 10 times,even my "scary movie" loving daughter screamed at the head.

Comment

We used to have a chain of grocery stores around here named "The Mad Butcher",and the mascot was a scary looking dude!

It was bad enough looking at his picture in person or in the newspaper,but the chain also advertised pretty heavily on television. The dude had an evil laugh that scared the living mess out of me pretty much every time the commercials came on. Same for my wife too!

This is not me in the picture as I would've been screaming in terror.
                              Last edited by Karberator; October 30, 2013, 06:18 PM.
                              sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

Working...
                              X