Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tractor related content. Need a tractor... 40-65hp size.. suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tractor related content. Need a tractor... 40-65hp size.. suggestions?

I'm looking at Massey's because I'm hung up on Perkins right now. Need something that I might be able to put a loader on later. I'm not stuck on 4wd but it would be nice. About a 5k budget, less is better. I'm open to suggestion...What say you, and why?

oh yeah, prefer a Diesel.
    Last edited by Beagle; November 1, 2013, 07:45 AM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Used tractor market has been hot for a couple/few years. Super hot this time of year.

I wish you much luck, 5k does not buy much tractor today. Sorry to bear bad news, but wanted you to be warned. If you find something decent, you best scoop it up before the next guy does.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

damn preppers. lol. I've seen a few here, just totally unfamiliar with "Tractor" ... I'm not worried about ROPS, but remote outputs, live pto, independent, lift classes are all kind of new terms to me. I wonder if they have a tractor drivers ed?

I kinda figure it will be an antique and "need attention."
      Last edited by Beagle; November 1, 2013, 08:03 AM.

Comment

I defer to Stiney and Jeremy on this one - lohne's too - especially in that class of tractors, I have no experience. I'll be looking forward to replies as someday I'd like to graduate to the class where I can put a bucket on the front.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
          Used tractor market has been hot for a couple/few years. Super hot this time of year.

I wish you much luck, 5k does not buy much tractor today. Sorry to bear bad news, but wanted you to be warned. If you find something decent, you best scoop it up before the next guy does.
          yea hes right, 5k might get you a piece of junk, might want to try some auction houses
          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

try www.auctiontime.com

Comment

First its Mahogany boats, now its tractors... too much cool stuff out there to wrench on. I kinda like this one:
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/1930-Allis-C...item35cd659331
              Attached Files
              www.FBthrottlebodies.com
              Bruce K Bridges

Comment

I know you said you wanted a diesel, but what about a 2N/8N Ford?
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Beags if you think you want a bucket - and you think you're going to end up with a "vintage" tractor, I'd sure think you'd be time and money ahead to get one as a full package right out of the gate, instead of trying to match up something down the line.

You may have to sell some stuff to finance a larger budget for a tractor - but everyone I know that has one with a bucket and rear three point can't remember how they lived without it.

Are you going to mow with this thing - or just "utility" work?
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

how often would you be using it ? would it be cheaper in the long run to just rent a piece of equipment
                    Last edited by BOOOGHAR; November 1, 2013, 02:16 PM.

Comment

get your bidding hat on and go here

I keep looking, and deals keep happening; but all of the deals are well east of the Mississippi - so by the time I got it here, it'd not longer be a deal. You're a bit closer to Fort Benning, so perhaps this might be the answer to your desires?
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

My New Holland 4wd, backhoe, skiploader and a gannon, diesel, about 365 hours as I recall on it, beautiful condition but its listed for $19k here in so. cal. I did have a 70's kubota 4wd diesel that I sold earlier this year but its gone already. No help I guess
                        Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

If it's a starter tractor and you really have to have diesel, maybe start with a Kubota:

They're not the fanciest machines, but they're not bad for light to medium duty use, and lots of them come equipped with loaders.

As for the terms:
                          Hydraulic remotes = where you can hook in a hydraulic line to run a hydraulic ram or hydraulic motor (think: what runs a log splitter or a backhoe)

Live PTO: Shaft on the back that can attach to another shaft and run a power implement (ex-snowblower, mower, sickle bar, giant pump or generator, etc).

I think someone mentioned a 3-point hitch: That's a type of hitch for tractors where two long arms extend out and can go up and down by a control in the cab (with a third top link for stability). Having that is a life-changer--you can use lots more implements that just plain make life more enjoyable. Think: rear blade, box scraper, snowblower, rear-mount mower, bale picker, etc. We only have a factory built one on one of our tractors, and my only regret is that we don't have it on the other four tractors. If you need this tractor for around your yard, you NEED a 3-point hitch.

Comment

Pallet forks off the 3 point will allow you to move palletful of blocks, trannys etc! But can't load a low trailer to save your life..
                            Built a boom to pick up motors, cars etc off the 3 point.. Tried to keep it "light" so more of what I lift is "pay load" ... Was moving my deville by te front bumper with the wheels barely off the ground... Turned left on a slight uphill.. No weights on the front of the 55 Oliver.. Car went straight when tractor turned.. Bent the boom...
                            What I do not like about the Ollie is where the 3 point lift lever is, that is where it is... No float .. Bump the lever down a bit, the load goes there..
                            Kubota, there is a center or neutral, then wanna lift, you can bump up a hair and it goes up a hair.. Oliver, gotta move the lever a bit.. Wait to see if it lifts.. Then repeat.. Might lift a little or alot.. Have slammed the brush hog down and burying te blade..

As others say.. Want a bucket, buy one already installed.. Get one with 2 hydraulic lift/tilt not singles for those functions.. Generally the singles are weaker or narrower.. You want a bucket as wide as your track width..

Have a Kubota 175 (17 hp, 2 cyl diesel) will NOT pick up a block, much less a complete motor.. Takes forever to mow with compared to the Ollie..

Comment

Thanks all - the remote hydralucs I got but I don't get why you might need more than one set? I need a hammer drill of some sort eventually for fencing in limestone heavy soil. I'm not sure how much GPM I should consider a minimum on the hydraulics.

The three point classes are confusing me a little but I'm getting there, I'd like something with at least 3000 pounds capability on the lift.

The bucket is one of those "really nice to have bordering on NEED to have" because of all the giant rocks in my yard. There's enough cleanup work to justify a purchase. I've got limestone boulders all over the place, makes it hard on the mower. Probably a couple of acres to mow and some of it needs a bush hog, not a finish mower. I have a small creek that needs to be cleaned out and bridged as well, some timber to clear (and split) etc.

Probably a 4wd would be best and I should adjust my budget upwards, maybe I'll sell one of these cars (NOOOOOO) and turn farmer. haha.

I'm not afraid of an antique - this is a 1968 JD I may go have a look at:

60hp , too big for my current trailer though. I'd need 5k axles and brakes for that if I were to buy something this large (7,000 plus pounds).
                              Last edited by Beagle; November 2, 2013, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X