Great, unknown musicians.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great, unknown musicians.

Well, here I sit in my room, can't leave base today due to various reasons, so I've been seeking inspiration to start practicing my guitar again, a while ago I discovered Harry Manx, Dear Lord, this guy is incredible.
    If you like the blues, you'll definitely enjoy this guy, just thought I'd share
    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

I'll post my favorite, Randy Garibay. Hispanic guy from San Antonio, TX. To the best of my knowledge this is the only vid of him in performance doing one of his songs. He generally played his own licks but this was an awards show so the house band played most of the background.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

He's dead now but I got to meet him and sit and chat. A super guy and one hell of a musician with about a 3 1/2 octave vocal range. He had cancer (lifetime smoker - don't DO that) and I think he was sick when this was filmed. His voice croaks near the end and I never heard him do that in person.

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; November 2, 2013, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Harry manx, I like that. A few original tones going on there. The cloning of most music drives me nuts.

To encounter the rockhead that adds his own past as a quieter note into the leap we listen to.. that is to be a great musician. I have not encountered it in years.

musician seems to be synonymous with public service, like a waiter all wearing the same clothes. Take complaints for the cook..

I used to play when I was a kid, original sprites all the time, just playing around. It is amazing what takes and takes and takes..
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Dang Peewee - that guy's GOOD! I heard/saw Stevie Ray play it, and Sting, too. Both great versions. Stings vocals were TOPS, of course. My guess is that the song is so complex that the hacks don't try it and all the greats do a super job while making it their own.

Does this fella break in guitars for Willie Nelson? This one seems well on it's way.

Dan

Comment

Weird timing, I just listened to Roy Buchanan for the first time night before last
            PeeWee, that is great!

Comment

I wouldn't know quality if it slapped my face.. Son likes driving music.. A buddy showed up, said he knew which kid was home by the music he hears.. He mimiced a furious drummer for the son, mellower for daughter..
              That said.. Rev Horton Heat? Galaxie 500 or something like that.. Horton has a nice 64 Galaxie...

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Kammback View Post
                PeeWee, that is great!
                My ex-boss turned me onto to Monte. He's flying under the radar. Making enough to eat and doesn't care the last time I Googled him. That's his signature "cover" song, the rest of his stuff is technical originals, kind of hard to follow in my opinion. But that one song IS great. Amazing. When he stretches the neck for the whammy bar effect (usually only available on an electric), yeah, that's good stuff.

Comment

Here's a song by a totally unknown artist, written for and about our very own Dan Stokes. Hell, if you can't have fun, just don't even do it!

Comment

That was the next Unknown Great I was gonna post! Rusty Hinges or something?

Dan

Comment

I was hanging around Weeville one day and my cell phone went off. DAN STOKES. I answered it, "Dan STOKES?" No, it was David on Dan's phone. I could hear the racket inside Dan's truck from somewhere in California. They were laughing like little girls. They wanted a song about their trip. So there it is.
                      Last edited by pdub; November 2, 2013, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Danny Gatton, he's up there w/Roy, literally & figuratively..

Comment

Here's a band my buddy recently turned me on to, very soulful, funky music

Comment

I've gotten hooked on Nick Waterhouse.

Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
                              Danny Gatton, he's up there w/Roy, literally & figuratively..
                              He's too good not to get a second bite of the apple:

He cemented my lifelong love for anyone who could really wring out a Tele. RIP
                              Last edited by PatricksDad; November 4, 2013, 08:50 AM.
                              "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Working...
                              X