No announcement yet.

Apartments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

avoid ground floors, avoid roommates, and this is the one that got me - avoid looking for after-college amenities during college (garage is nice, but you're there to get your education done). When I went back to college (after dropping out the first round), I did, at least, learn that. For 4 years, I didn't have a project car at all - had my oil changed at a jiffy lube (to show extremes I went to). I still had a couple cars I couldn't sell at my parent's house, but I didn't put a fingerprint on them until I was done and moved out.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

My circumstances have changed quite a bit recently- for details check out the Fairmont project thread. I'm currently out of school working as an industrial mechanic at a local foundry. Mom and Dad are letting me stay at home for now. Even though I get along with them fine, the arrangement isn't really sustainable. I know I'll still have garage and shop access here at home, and I don't think I'll be here for anything more than 12 months.

Town is small and crime isn't a big deal hereabouts. Flooding happens occasionally, but I'm familiar with the problem locations. Laundry on site is a must- the dust, dirt and grease from the foundry means I do a lot of laundry. Don't really need the space or bother a house gets me. I'd rather just have a small deal with on or two rooms aside from a bathroom. I'm a single dude and my main storage requirements are enough room for my mountain bike and my road bike- both of which are stored indoors. Lunch and dinner are eaten at work, so I don't really need much of a kitchen. Neighbors- well, I lived in a college dorm for 3 years. To be worse than that would be a serious accomplishment. No roommates, though. I'll pay for that luxury.

Comment

My son used to rent an apt upstairs and 4 car bay downstairs.. Used to be 3 of them, one would go in their rooms and "borrow" clean clothes.. Both of the others wore mainly printed shirts, with smart ass sayings or company shirts like BS shirts.. So they kicked him out.. I had to go stay at the house untill they got home from work untill they got locks changed..
        Across the street was a college campus and all around, college apts.. You cant believe the stuff that ends up in dumpsters.
        Nice chairs, weight sets and so on..
        The college kids did not like us to start out hot rods, derby cars.
        Plus was they never paid for WIFI...

Comment

For a first apartment look for a "Large Single". That means a real kitchen as part of the main living space. My first One Bedroom, the living room became just something I walked through to get to my bedroom.
          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
            Depends on a lot of factors - I learned by mistake that the middle floor is the place to be - I was on the 2nd floor of 3 and 4 story buildings and our heating and AC bills were a fraction of the folks that had the ground floor or top floor places.
            Absolutely! We had a house fire about 6 years ago. We spent nine months in a town house. There were units on either side with one unit above us that also had a the front first and second floors in front of us as with it's staircase and garage. Our unit was crazy cheap to heat in the dead of winter For a family of four it was like $130 in gas for heat, water, cooking and clothes drier. And get renter's insurance as mentioned!
            Last edited by Huskinhano; November 9, 2013, 02:30 PM.
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Im in a similar situation Walt. Just moved out of my parents place three months ago. I got half a double, more than enough space for me, at $475/mo. I could buy a house with that around here, but I'll get my feet wet in the area, and set some roots in the company first. I'm ok where I'm at but some things I wish I had looked into before hand:

My neighborhood is fine, but the local police chief asked why in the heck I was moving here when I was carrying boxes in. Typical PA coal town decline. He grew up here and saw it in its prime. I lock my doors and grimace at the sketchy folk.

I've got a lot of space for one dude, it costs some money to heat and cool it.

A huge plus one on the on site washer/dryer. But keep in mind the damn things are heavy and you'll need help getting them inside.

Best of luck to ya.
              Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Originally posted by SSChevyManiac View Post
                Im in a similar situation Walt. Just moved out of my parents place three months ago. I got half a double, more than enough space for me, at $475/mo. I could buy a house with that around here, but I'll get my feet wet in the area, and set some roots in the company first. I'm ok where I'm at but some things I wish I had looked into before hand:

My neighborhood is fine, but the local police chief asked why in the heck I was moving here when I was carrying boxes in. Typical PA coal town decline. He grew up here and saw it in its prime. I lock my doors and grimace at the sketchy folk.

I've got a lot of space for one dude, it costs some money to heat and cool it.

A huge plus one on the on site washer/dryer. But keep in mind the damn things are heavy and you'll need help getting them inside.

Best of luck to ya.

Nanticoke?
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                  Nanticoke?

Nah, right where river comes together. Downstream from Nanticoke.
                  Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Working...
                  X