Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else realise they were mainly a Magazine Fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else realise they were mainly a Magazine Fan?

Hi,
    I turn 59 in a few weeks and I realize now that I was more of a magazine guy than a car guy. Could never afford to do much because I was spending thousands on magazines instead of my projects. Started a vintage SPE tubed dragster, countless Mopars including factory Big Block A-Body and three E-Bodys, 67 Nova SS that I liberated from my Mom (she wanted a compact Chevy with buckets) and even a few RUNNING muscle vehicles that ended up as more daily drivers than anything else. I DID do a little bracket racing at Byron and the Grove, but at best it was drive in uncork, cork and drive home. Oh, I DID enjoy myself amid the under-achievement and am a whiz at trivia.

Oh yes, I get dyslexic at times.... This IS the forum for "The Car Magazine Junkie Daily", right? A fix IS a fix.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Nope.

Dan

Comment

But Bangshift IS addictive.

Dan

Comment

yes, I read more than I do. Working on that.

/edit - hey, does it count for more "Do" if I've got pistons in the sink at the moment?
        Last edited by Beagle; November 8, 2013, 01:48 PM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Wha?
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I "do" far less than I read. And I can't read the mags because the font is too small these days. I like the photos, though.
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I can read for free, whether it be print or online. DOING costs money, no way
              around it.

Comment

I was a lot more "do" before the net. It does help alot to read first do later. Even while feeling like I do less, I ended up in a "custom" category. Beeline to the facts, bullshit out of the way.. custom is the result anyway. I keep reading too. Not a bad thing. One can do more doing less by reading more, doing less.. encrypt your own pioneering along the way with education.
                Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 8, 2013, 03:17 PM.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Hey I really like the Do Vs. Read comparison. In my defense in the Street Machining 80s I was the guy bugging everyone to take their all-conquering Fairground creation to the track. I did go to 2 Indy and the first Springfield Nats too. I thought then Car Craft should have required a timeslip with every entry, but they said it was Car Craft not Drag Craft. Thankfully Drag Week came along and Freiburger wasn't concerned about becoming Drag Rod. Hot Week? Nevermind.....
                  My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I like to read about what others are doing. Bob, Dan, Aaron, Milner, Stiney when he's not playing house, and others' project motivate me to work on my junk. If it wasn't for some of these guys and the one day of LS Fest followed by the one day of Drag Week, I don't know that my Turd(le) would be an auto-mobile at this point.

In the winter months it is easier to read more than work. That is why my Turd(le) is so LOUD right now, the parts won't put themselves on no matter how much I wait/concentrate/meditate.
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

After 40+ years I'm finally a magazine guy....the picture is small, but it's on the cover

Click image for larger version

Name:	cover2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	873348
                      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
                        I like to read about what others are doing. Bob, Dan, Aaron, Milner, Stiney when he's not playing house, and others' project motivate me to work on my junk.
                        Don't forget Thumpin455, 1946Austin NASBackyard..

Watching Todd turn rusty hulks into drivers is awesome, seriously, it's friggin awesome.

I like Aaron's fab work & ideas, you'll notice he's always doing something too.

1946Austin's gassers rule, they're budget minded w/lots of elbow grease.

NASBackyard, pulling that Olds out of the junkyard & turning it into a driver was really cool.
                        Teaches you to work with what you got before spendin any money.

STINEY... got a VW question, need a part? He's got you covered.

I still think Dan is crazy putting a Benz diesel in a S-10 though!

I like the diversity here, some domestic, some foreign, lots of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
                          Don't forget Thumpin455, 1946Austin NASBackyard..

Watching Todd turn rusty hulks into drivers is awesome, seriously, it's friggin awesome.

I like Aaron's fab work & ideas, you'll notice he's always doing something too.

1946Austin's gassers rule, they're budget minded w/lots of elbow grease.

NASBackyard, pulling that Olds out of the junkyard & turning it into a driver was really cool.
                          Teaches you to work with what you got before spendin any money.

STINEY... got a VW question, need a part? He's got you covered.

I still think Dan is crazy putting a Benz diesel in a S-10 though!

I like the diversity here, some domestic, some foreign, lots of fun.
                          I couldn't recall all the names quick enough. I sure didn't mean to leave anyone out. And they weren't listed in any particular order. Yes, the diversity here along with the general ability by all members is why I like to hang out here.
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
                            I couldn't recall all the names quick enough. I sure didn't mean to leave anyone out. And they weren't listed in any particular order. Yes, the diversity here along with the general ability by all members is why I like to hang out here.
                            It's all good. This place is the Mayberry of car forums right now, pretty laid back. Andy comes around to check up on things, sometimes Barney brings his gun & his bullet, Goober fixes the 'cop car' when it needs mendin...

Comment

Last count, I think I get 9 magazines. Everything from Hot Rod to Circle Track to Grassroots Motorsports to Racecar Engineering. I never know where I'll see a good idea. I still pick up magazines off the rack every month, also. And I read the crap out of a ton of books. Right now its "Turbocharging Fundamentals" and the "Alfa Bible." As far as I'm concerned, if someone can provide me an idea for the cost of a periodical or book, I'm all for it.

Sounds to me like you did a bunch of participating. Don't sell yourself short.
                              I'm still learning

Comment

Working...
                              X