Duesenberg Hot Rod from the 40's/50's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duesenberg Hot Rod from the 40's/50's

I recently purchased a copy of the July 1951 Motorsport Magazine, containing an article about a odd but cool Duesenberg Hot Rod. A reminder of a long past era when such a thing was possible. At the time, and up until 1956 the Duesenberg model J straight 8 was the most powerful passenger car engine ever with 265 horse naturally aspirated and 320 hp with the optional supercharger. Made in Indianapolis from 1929 - 1937, the J was 420 CID, dual overhead cam, 4 valves per cylinder, with forged aluminum pistons and aluminum rods. Scanned in here for your veiwing pleasure:

VERY cool, Joel! Thanks for posting that.

My second father-in-law told the story of a college chum(probably 1940 or so) who had a Duesenberg jalopy. They'd put on their raccoon skin coats (maybe that's the wrong era) and cruise town. Can you imagine a Duesenberg jalopy! Nowadays it would part out for $100K.

Dan

Comment

that is very cool. Jay leno has revealed some of the facts of deusenberg, many years of simply being the biggest. In the article, I spotted an interesting thing to quote, the sound being described at the time:
      "The noise was like a field of Offies on a half mile track in a thunderstorm."
      That is cool about journalism, to compare to something in the generation at the time. I remember that about a lot of machines. I compare a 1987 Subaru to a 1973 porsche rs, etc, etc. It is a good thing for journalists. Market would rape an altered future.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

what a cool article. Thank you Joel.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
        X