I'll Just Put This Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll Just Put This Here

I was all set a minute ago to tie this into to Tennessee, and the way it's a bit different culture from South Carolina where I was raised, but I don't think that's a valid point. You can just about see South Carolina from here in an airplane, that's not it at all. I think it's everywhere.

I was working here on loan for a few years and there was a smoking area (back when smoking was okay) and the smoking area was piled up so high in trash that there was a 2-foot around area around the 2-gallon bucket overflowing with cigarette butts.

One day I finally "saw" it. This is disgusting. I will take it upon myself to clean this area up.

I went and found a broom and a shovel and two 55-gallon industrial trash bags. Filled them both up. They were so heavy I could only drag them so far, out into the "people" traffic area. I'll just leave them right here. Somebody will haul them "away."

That same week I got called away to another mill for a whole year. When I came back, those bags were still there. I just left them right there.

Two weeks ago, there was a big gig at the training center. One of the folks decided they would help out at the end of the day by taking the garbage bag out of the can and putting it outside the front door of the training center, instead of carrying it the rest of the way to the dumpster on the edge of the parking lot. He just put it "right there."

The next morning I went to open the building dark and early and the biggest skunk I've ever seen was walking on top of that garbage bag, trying to figure a way into it. I ran him off and when I got back from the dumpster the same skunk was back, playing in the water that was running out of the cooler I left to drain.

I caught myself today, nearly did it myself. We were setting up a room and the Environmental Lady said, "Sit in this chair - do you think it's wobbly?"

Hey, thanks, you want ME to try it? Yes it was. So I started to just put it "over there." No, I dragged it all the way outside to the bucket and it was gone.
    Last edited by pdub; November 8, 2013, 07:13 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Years ago when I was working at a large aircraft plant, the smokers were absolute pigs. When it rained, you couldn't get near a door because it stank so badly. One summer day, they had all the garage doors up, and the smoker's shelter was about 10 feet away from where I was working. Mixed in with the butts was a lot of trash, and they set the smoker's shack on fire! I had a 5 gallon bucket of water to quench hot parts in as they came off the machine, and I just strolled out there and sloshed it around 'til the flames went out. Then they got mad at me because the dirt floor turned into mud! I said something to the big boss that night, and the next day that shack was clean as a whistle! The smoker's hated my ass for about a week.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I learned to field strip my butts while in the service. As a smoker, the one thing I did not like doing was picking up someone else's butts. When I pulled a handful of stripped butts from my pocket, the platoon sergeant would let me slide from the pick-up party. Ass-kisser? No, I played their game to my advantage.

A few years after my military service I caught another smoker trying to start a fire with one of his butts in my work area. I put a stop to that real quick, especially when he realized that I knew who was playing games.

I agree smoking is a nasty-ass habit. I stopped July 2, 1999, haven't picked up another one since. I should have known better as I watched my dad struggle with the addiction for years. When I moved away from my dad's house was when I started to smoke myself, I figure my body had become accustom to the nicotine and needed a source. I took another 16 years for me to kick that habit. My dad didn't kick the habit until it kicked him.

And to PW's point, some people just won't clean up no matter what. That's why nature has natural disasters, it's the only time some humans clean up their messes. That statement won't be THE reason I go to hell, just an addition to a long list.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Scott, I'm light years away from being a clean freak. In fact, if something ever gets my attention, it's beyond bad. It HAS to be bad to get my attention, be it at work or in our own house.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
          Scott, I'm light years away from being a clean freak. In fact, if something ever gets my attention, it's beyond bad. It HAS to be bad to get my attention, be it at work or in our own house.
          Must've been that white glove treatment once a week for four years that got me where I'm at. Also as a construction foreman, attention to details both on paper and on the project were very important parts of my job.

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
            Must've been that white glove treatment once a week for four years that got me where I'm at. Also as a construction foreman, attention to details both on paper and on the project were very important parts of my job.
            My Dad used to say, "How can you live in the middle of such a mess and not SEE it?"

Comment

I like clean but not food prep clean, I'd never get anything done if I tried to keep the house that clean, I like clean, and try to keep everything as clean and organized as I can, but organized has it's price. I like stuff one way ,wife likes it another, so after she cleans I can't find anything. and why she is not allowed in my tools in garage or basement work shop. She organized the basement tools one day, now I have them set up in order of the job, electrical tools together/plumping together, ect.. she put all pliers together,wrenches together, you get the point.. She ment well. but it took forever to put it back to the way I had it, open draw marked electrical and grab the tools and go. I had to open every cabinet,draw look on every shelf.. I brought home 20 boxes and spent a day putting the tools back in order of the job they're most likely to be used for.. and then tell wifie, tools you can use them ,but they go back where you found them.. I couldn't find the gorilla locking lug nuts I bought for my monte for a few years. I needed some gorilla glue one day and wife wasn't home to grab it when I was in middle of fixing something so I went over to get the bottle of it where all the glues/tapes /ect.. and lookie here. the GORILA lug nuts are right beside the gorilla glue bottle... OCD yup she's got it... found my header collector in with minwax stain.. haven't though of the connection there yet.. but I'm sure she has one.. car wash soap/wax/etc under sink with cleaners for the kitchen. and she wonders why I say, garage, don't touch, car parts/stuff in basement, don't touch.. she, I know means well. but my god, I have 2 used once drill bits you use to run wire in walls iirc 7/8' and 18-20" long she moved the first one, so I had to go get another.. wouldn't be an issue other than they are 80.oo+ a pop.. now I have 2.. wire strippers 3, romex wire 5 rolls of 250' why wife moved them. into the bathroom closet behind the hamper that never moves the cloth bag comes out and behind it is the shit paper that we never let get that low.. I just happened to miss hamper one day while getting in shower and lifted the package of 24 rolls of paper to find not 1 not 2 not 3 but 5 rolls of romex.. I'm like WTF.. Can't wait till the next thing I find..

Comment

NERF, your wife sounds just like my brother-in-law's wife. She labels stuff. The forks in the drawer - use this one 1st, 2nd. etc....Almost serious about that. Yep.

Comment

Back when 12/2 was $20/250' that wouldn't be so bad but it's triple that or more now. You could find a month's grocery budget hidden away in multiples of something expensive like rolls of electric wire.

Speaking of electric wire...I've been trying to sell off some stuff that hasn't been used in years and I have a 250' roll of 10/3 that I only have a use for maybe 100' of. I feel a wiring project in the making so I can scrap the rest for gas or groceries.

Oh, and when it comes to my tools, they are off limits, period, no questions, no exceptions, no broken bones.
                  Last edited by 68scott385; November 8, 2013, 11:07 PM.

Comment

my wife has good intentions - she wants to organize her tools, so she asked me for a rolling tool box a year ago. It's assembled (by me), and sitting empty in the garage (the one attached to the house).

Fortunately she doesn't know where stuff is in the shop, so they're safe.... plus, I don't mind the occasional honey-do list because the payment is extraordinary
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                      the payment is extraordinary
                      Photos?
                      Last edited by pdub; November 8, 2013, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
                        Back when 12/2 was $20/250' that wouldn't be so bad but it's triple that or more now. You could find a month's grocery budget hidden away in multiples of something expensive like rolls of electric wire.

Speaking of electric wire...I've been trying to sell off some stuff that hasn't been used in years and I have a 250' roll of 10/3 that I only have a use for maybe 100' of. I feel a wiring project in the making so I can scrap the rest for gas or groceries.

Oh, and when it comes to my tools, they are off limits, period, no questions, no exceptions, no broken bones.
                        just bough 250' of 10/2 it was 137 and change why 250' 100' was 111 and 50' 89 so for 26 bucks more I get 150' more.. pricing makes no sense.. the 5 rolls are 3)12/2, 1)12/3, 1)14/2 of course no 10/2 lol

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          I don't mind the occasional honey-do list because the payment is extraordinary
                          tru dat, but I get the feeling wife adds to the honey do list to keep me from spending money on my junk..lol.. now if it was a 68 mustang, I'd have no list at all, and be told why are you not working on it.. funny how that works..

Comment

My wife is good at borrowing and not returning!
                            Wanted fishing line, my big roll was empty...I only added line to 2 reels not all 6 like I intended..soo I gave her my favorite reel that I was getting ready to put on a new to me pole.. Nevermind I got 3 poles and one with a reel new to me.. Sad to sweetie, use what you want, put the reel in he trailer.. I forget. 3-4 years ago... Yesterdy I found my reel on the picnic table covered with pots, no line.. No problem but it's been there all this time... Don't work now!
                            When she borrows tools, end of the day..I'm there. Hand out, finger motion come here..."give it back!"
                            She had her own set of screwdrivers, pliers etc.. I find them where she left them.. "Bob's got many" mentality... I gotta have many or I got none! Keep them under lock (in the Suburban!)
                            Last edited by Deaf Bob; November 8, 2013, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X