No announcement yet.

Does Your Car Intimidate People?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the fun part of street driving. Saturday's and Sunday's we see the muscle car collector types out in their 70 LS7 Chevelles and the like. I pull up next to guy at light, his car is perfect, sounds good too, and he says "no way man, I can't hear my car over yours. How much does that make 700 hp?" I just smile and after we clear the intersection, I goose it a little. Who says 1000 hp street cars are un drive able.
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
      It's the fun part of street driving. Saturday's and Sunday's we see the muscle car collector types out in their 70 LS7 Chevelles and the like. I pull up next to guy at light, his car is perfect, sounds good too, and he says "no way man, I can't hear my car over yours. How much does that make 700 hp?" I just smile and after we clear the intersection, I goose it a little. Who says 1000 hp street cars are un drive able.
      smarter than ever today, the big power. As much can be hidden in city type decibels, still intimidating.

I remember this conversation some years ago, or maybe even more than once yearly. A real big muscle, it skips over many checks, faults let go..

when its a wolf.. it does not. I like black wolves, I analogize my sube in white snow as a black wolf. (odds are not good - yet stays alive)

cars have character, always need defense as they get made to be bigger, or faster.. loud almost always goes with it.

Another oddity about "intimidating"... it is most often associated as one of a kind. No babies to ponder.
      Attached Files
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
        That's got to be a blast cruising the streets in SoCal on the weekends in that car, of course with the top down the roll cage should be a dead giveaway to most!
        sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post

cars have character, always need defense as they get made to be bigger, or faster.. loud almost always goes with it.
          Ya you can hear most of the older cars even before ya see them . BUT with new tech and turbo's cars can be very quiet. The Mazda I posted has a Buick 231 turbo motor in it. About 740 rwhp. Daughter borrowed it for her GN an we ran 9.9s @ 138 in street trim. These cars are quiet. They have to be because my ears don't like loud anymore ;-)

Comment

I'm currently driving a small hatchback with a thoroughly not intimidating 1.0 3 banger under the hood....so no intimidation going on here.

Comment

Does my car intimidate people? Small children apparently....

SAAC 33 AWARD by Joe Grippo, on Flickr
              Time Wasters...
              http://public.fotki.com/JoeGrippo/
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_grippo/sets/
              http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeGrippo?feature=mhum

Comment

My Monte does, because it sounds nasty at idle, even though its slow.
                The mustang I drive regularly, people try to race it constantly, because it sounds the same now as it did when it ran s.
                Try getting a race on a cammed cbr1000, still lopes at 45mph. Had a Porsche try one time. I basicially.know all the locals fr the track so we never try to street race. If I dont know the car chances are its slow.
                Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Back when the rednecks in the Dodge commercial was on the tv, I pulled up next to a new Dodge pickup in my 69 SS BBC nova (spring time, windows down) and my passenger asked him "Does that thang gotta hemi"? He said "Yes it does, but I don't pick on big blocks". And my gasser just blows their mind.
                  Last edited by poison gas; November 11, 2013, 06:44 AM.
                  Go ahead, pull my finger.

Comment

I want my car to be whisper quite and only loud when I open the cut outs.. the days of loud all the time cars are past me.. as the ringing in my ears from the bomb blast last april are not going away and may never go away.. and loud exhaust makes the ringing worse for a few days, if in a vehicle for a long time that's loud.. one day at the dragway made the ringing worse for 3 days.. and I missed that sound so much I didn't use ear plugs.. and the ringing was worth it.. but in my cars that i'll be using a lot. I'll need less noise until I want to wake everyone up.. my truck is kinda loud with the dynamax mufflers on it now. and it's a 305 and once the 350 goes in I'll see if the noise is to much, hoping the fact that the tail pipes are out the back and the mufflers are under bed not cab. that I'll not have to change them until they rot away.. The SS droned(dual flowfarters 40's) with the stock powerhouse 185hp 305, no idea what I'll have to do to it. when I get to that car..
                    fitting duals and cut outs under that car should be hella fun..
                    mass eye and hear wants me to do a research study to see if we can limit the ringing from getting worse when I am exposed to loud noises .

Comment

See that's the beauty of newer cars, inside the car it's not loud at all.
                      The Green Machine.
                      http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper 6 View Post
                        My car doesn't intimidate anyone. This was the first summer I had it running. They look over at a poor old guy and I think they fell sorry for me. Then take a 2nd look as the car goes by. Beaters are a blast !!
                        GN Turbo V6 under the hood and Nissan 300zx wheels. lmao

The Mustang is not really too intimidating..... until I mash the pedal. Then it grow fangs and hair and stuff. My favorite thing is driving under overpasses and giving the throttle a quick hit. Sounds freakin' awesome.
                        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Grippo View Post

That's an awesome award!
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by BigAL View Post
                            See that's the beauty of newer cars, inside the car it's not loud at all.
                            and they are heavy because of it.. my 71 c-10 long bed,a/c is lighter than a new Camaro.
                            the SS is 3400 lb loaded

Comment

No. Nobody's challenged me for probably the last 15,000 to 20,000 miles.

I don't know if it's the DW stickers . . . or the fact that everybody figures it's not worth the gas to "throw revs" at a 12.21 second underachiever.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Grippo View Post

Hey I use to belong to SAAC when it was NEW !! Been out of that club for a long time but still have the car we bought in 1975 ;-)

Comment

Working...
                                X