Headlight Treatment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight Treatment?

Truck's (2002 Dodge Sport Package) headlights were getting pretty yellow and cracked and his state inspection is coming up so it was time for some new eyes for the old boy. I ordered them up on line and got them installed today. So the question is:

Is their anything to coat them with to keep them fresh?

Some kind of wax, coating, etc? It was $178 for the pair (Sport Package lights are different from the others and evidently not interchangeable, therefore more $$) so I'd like to keep them alive for as long as possible. I'm guessing that they're acrylic but maybe Lexan or some other plastic.

BTW - WAY brighter now. I'd buffed them out a number of times and while they got better they were nowhere near as bright as they are now.

Dan

I had to drill holes in mine because they filled up with water. I buff them with compound to get the haze off of them. The junk they sell at the store to "restore" them seems to work for a couple of guys I know. I can't see how a coat of wax would hurt anything, maybe we could blend some up with coppertone and get UV protection?
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I had a problem too,on the Silverado some months ago..after inspection.I used the polishing machine,and chrome wax..it worked real good on the plastic headlight..now i dont need to buy a new one.

Comment

I bought new ones for my Ford as well. Thankfully mine were only $20 a side from RockAuto. I didn't put anything on them figuring the truck would be long gone before they turned yellow again. I did think about a coat of wax though. I would try it.
        Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Clear bra over them ....
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
            Clear bra over them ....
            silicone?
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Its ultraviolet rays from the sun that break the long chain hydrocarbon molecules that form the plastic...So any car wax that can block the UV is gonna help the longevity. wax 'em often.
              Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

I'd just part it in the garage when not driving.
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Hmmm....all my cars and trucks are from the 50s, I just buy a new sealed beam at Walmart for $8.88 when something goes wonky on them.
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I got motorcycle halogens on the truck, spare bulb is in the glove box.. Size of a sparkplug.. Change from rear.. Be hard to do on the 50's..

Comment

Had the same issue on my 03 Tahoe. Found an aftermarket source for new lights with a lifetime warranty on them. Told them they would regret that with me. Warrantied both markers for vapor and both fog lights for cracks. Cost a little more than eBay or rock auto but well worth it for the warranty. If you plan on keeping it for awhile I would find somebody with a lifetime warranty and pay the difference cause they will yellow again with time. LKQ/keystone is who mine came from.

Comment

Wish I'd known about that warranty deal! Mine were from Auto MD I think. With the sport package it was difficult to assure that I was getting the right lights and they had an American guy who worked with me on the phone for about 45 minutes to track down the right ones, starting with my VIN. Decent customer service for sure. But I don't have that kind of warranty.

I have some lens buffing stuff from Oldsman (THANKS) but eventually they developed cracks and that's what took them out as far as the state inspection goes. They let me slide last year but I knew it was needed.

I'll look for some wax with UV stuff in it.

Dan
                        Last edited by DanStokes; November 10, 2013, 07:07 AM.

Comment

dan you have 2 old useless ones to test this on. try a good automotive clear with high uv protection in it..
                          I'd also think that stone guard they put on hoods might help
                          I think it's the high heat the new bright bulbs generate that cause more of the cracking than the sun..
                          it be to easy to make them out of glass, at least the face, but I'm sure the highway safety dept is why they are plastic

Comment

When I worked at Guide, most taillight lenses got clearcoat. I worked on the paint systems, but I don't know if the paint had UV inhibiters. We didn't make headlights by the time I started.

Comment

Working...
                            X