Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

98ciHemi Walt is moving out on his own. Time for advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was only going to say:

Just go ahead and get up and use the bathroom when it's four a.m. and you didn't want to wake up for two hours yet. Laying there won't make it go away.

Spraying around the john with Lysol only works for about 6-8 weeks. Then you gotta mop.

Mice aren't that bad when you get used to them. Rats, you gotta do something about.

Leave a greasy engine part in the kitchen sink when you have a new girl over. She needs to know how you are.

Rent sucks. Start saving to buy.

Comment

And never eat spinach with a stranger.
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

tongue in the fuse box. ouch.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
          tongue in the fuse box. ouch.
          Never thought about that. Why put a fork in a light socket when you can go straight for the source!
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

open a 2nd checking account or savings and make a habbit of putting the same amount of money in it weekly. and don't TOUCH IT..
            THis is the "oh,shit" account.. you only use it when you have no other option.. and then you pay back what you used..
            this helps for when you get sick/hurt/need to book a trip or vaca ahead of time. pay off car insurance in one shot..
            1st apartment.. yard sales and consignment shops are your friend.. you'll get real stuff for the same price as that particalboard crap. When you go to mall or to a store leave your money at home other than what you are going there for.. if you see something you'd like, you'll be forced to go back, and that gives you time to really think if you really want it/need it or it was an impulse buy..
            buy good knives they'll last years.. and buy food and other needs when on sale and you have a coupon.. look at the tag on the upper left corner is the unit price.. even if that 64 oz gar of mayo you'll never go through.. it on sale at 2.99 is far cheaper than the 24 oz one for 3.49 even if you pitch half of the bigger jar.
            fridge and freezers use less electric when full.. make big ice cubes in cheap plastic containers, keep the freezer jocked full, need space pull one of the container ice cubes. , buy the big can of coffee if you drink it.. and close the top with a piece of tin foil between the container and lid. it won't go stale, coffe even when the smaller 11.5 oz cans are on sale still cost more per oz than the big one.. buy that when on sale.. skip the coffee shop in the am. that's an easy 2-3 bucks a day.. get a coffee maker with a timer that it'll be made when you wake, no waiting,. when you cook cook enough for a 2nd/3rd meal and freeze the left overs.. quick/easy meals later in the week or next week.. bread buy day old (going out of code) and freeze it.. pull what you need as needed.. if you drink soda buy the cans 12/24 pack when on sale, water get a britta pitcher and filters..
            household goods (cleaning,washing/etc) tide/all/dawn etc have a 200-300% mark up buy on sale and with coupons.. same with paper towels/crap paper it's 200% mark up or more.. get a dry marker board to go on fridge to make list of things you need and when on sale you'll have the list already in front of you.. am phone camera at it. and shoot. list done..
            your job soulds like you get dirty. get a set of sneakers or something and put at door so you can change them at the door and not trac the dirt everywhere.. and lastly, a first aid kit, they are cheap, and a small fire extinguisher, and one firedetector/co2 combo unit, they are cheap and don't trust the ones in the apartment.. they are only good for so many years.. put your where you sleep.. you'll know it's new..
            and lastly. have fun. you're only young once..
            Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; November 12, 2013, 08:50 AM.

Comment

there is odd things for rentals. I have some long term renting.. in reality, I own the damn house adding it all up. (more than once)

I find landlords go subordinate on tenants beyond a few months, or appearing to be long term. That is when the fat fairy talers tries to raise rent.

Heat control? No that is not for you. You are retarded. Don't be in shock and awe over what you might do for covering heat or gaining some, or losing air or gaining some.

other tenants nearby in the same building? never assume good building. keep looking.

the strangest happy outcomes I have seen, is those that grabbed a dilapidated mobile home and built in on their own. I have done that, and even torn one down myself, as if done with the cardboard box to move on.

rental = tragedy. the fat slob collecting it is getting fat for no reason but you handing over the dollars.

This tension gets high enough. There is a recent story in maine about some new york dialect gone slum lord with his buildings. A tenant killed him... then stole his ID for a whole year. As sick as that story is, I still secretly, pyschotically love it.

I LOVE IT.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

remember not everyones hours will coincide with yours, so be prepaired for noise when you want to sleep. I found a set of wireless headphones is just the ticket. cause in the summer with the windows open. noise travels..

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                  Don't squat with your spurs on.

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

This is what I wake up to. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this. To be fair- this isn't my first time being away from home- I just moved back in after the whole college thing came crashing around my head. I've lived in both dorms and apartments up at school. But the sage advice of those who have gone before me is appreciated.

Comment

Live below your means.

Marry someone your age,and make sure she's not too high-maintenance or a daddy's girl.

Never let work get in the way of fun!
                      sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                        Spraying around the john with Lysol only works for about 6-8 weeks. Then you gotta MOVE.
                        That's the way I handled it at that age. LOL
                        Last edited by Bob Holmes; November 12, 2013, 12:21 PM.
                        I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                          open a 2nd checking account or savings and make a habbit of putting the same amount of money in it weekly. and don't TOUCH IT..
                          THis is the "oh,shit" account.. you only use it when you have no other option.. and then you pay back what you used..
                          this helps for when you get sick/hurt/need to book a trip or vaca ahead of time. pay off car insurance in one shot..
                          1st apartment.. yard sales and consignment shops are your friend.. you'll get real stuff for the same price as that particalboard crap. When you go to mall or to a store leave your money at home other than what you are going there for.. if you see something you'd like, you'll be forced to go back, and that gives you time to really think if you really want it/need it or it was an impulse buy..
                          buy good knives they'll last years.. and buy food and other needs when on sale and you have a coupon.. look at the tag on the upper left corner is the unit price.. even if that 64 oz gar of mayo you'll never go through.. it on sale at 2.99 is far cheaper than the 24 oz one for 3.49 even if you pitch half of the bigger jar.
                          fridge and freezers use less electric when full.. make big ice cubes in cheap plastic containers, keep the freezer jocked full, need space pull one of the container ice cubes. , buy the big can of coffee if you drink it.. and close the top with a piece of tin foil between the container and lid. it won't go stale, coffe even when the smaller 11.5 oz cans are on sale still cost more per oz than the big one.. buy that when on sale.. skip the coffee shop in the am. that's an easy 2-3 bucks a day.. get a coffee maker with a timer that it'll be made when you wake, no waiting,. when you cook cook enough for a 2nd/3rd meal and freeze the left overs.. quick/easy meals later in the week or next week.. bread buy day old (going out of code) and freeze it.. pull what you need as needed.. if you drink soda buy the cans 12/24 pack when on sale, water get a britta pitcher and filters..
                          household goods (cleaning,washing/etc) tide/all/dawn etc have a 200-300% mark up buy on sale and with coupons.. same with paper towels/crap paper it's 200% mark up or more.. get a dry marker board to go on fridge to make list of things you need and when on sale you'll have the list already in front of you.. am phone camera at it. and shoot. list done..
                          your job soulds like you get dirty. get a set of sneakers or something and put at door so you can change them at the door and not trac the dirt everywhere.. and lastly, a first aid kit, they are cheap, and a small fire extinguisher, and one firedetector/co2 combo unit, they are cheap and don't trust the ones in the apartment.. they are only good for so many years.. put your where you sleep.. you'll know it's new..
                          and lastly. have fun. you're only young once..
                          ^^^ this - there's advice here that folks much older than Walt could learn from. Walt - again I will urge you to take one class per semester while you're working full time, if you can be sure they will transfer at full credit - it will help you stay on track and you'll be that many more classes down when you go back full time (or half time or whatever).
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I third this motion.
                            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Getting paid every two weeks instead of 1st and 15th, it will jack with rent day if you're cutting anything close.. which I always was when I was your age. You seem a lot smarter than me though, so maybe not a problem!
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

friends do not make good roomates...

My dad never gave me advice..his theory was something like.....if you screw up and learn from it you're doing okay...if you do it again, you're an idiot...
                                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Working...
                                X