No announcement yet.

What to ask for my 283??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually have another 283 that was pulled out of an old who-knows-what, possibly a Corvette (not original), and it was recognized it had a '67 Z-28/302 crank by the flange shape (different than a normal 283 although the stroke is the same). Small-journal, forged, tuftrided. How that got in there no one knew... The guy kept it around for some years and handed it along to me for my Camaro, shortly afterward I found another '67 302 crank at a local swap meet and an acquaintance wound up having the rods and pistons from that same engine...small world. So now that I have two of 'em, I'm guessing those cranks are not all that rare...possibly more were sold over the counter than the amount of actual Z-28s made. Finding a simple '67 4" bore block at standard bore w/ good cyl. wall thickness has proved tougher...I can't imagine how many of those I once walked past at the Pick-Your-Part back when.

Anyhow, lots of people loved their 283's back in the day, which I couldn't figure out when there were 327's available. Now you just stick one of the how-many-million 350's in there.

edit re: the O.P. --- I'd give the guy the motor for nothing if you know him well, but keep in mind that people in whatever situation will generally value something according to what they paid for it.
    Last edited by Loren; November 13, 2013, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Randall, read Loren's "edit" above.... I'm not alone!

Comment

Meh. Anything collecting dust in my garage for 15 years is worth the dust that is on it to me.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
          Meh. Anything collecting dust in my garage for 15 years is worth the dust that is on it to me.
          Some things, yeah, other things, maybe it's worth more to me. And I always see what it's worth to others before getting rid of it, some things are a gold mine (like those dusty old 283 heads, for example)
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Care to share the details on those dusty old 283 heads? I may or may not have a set of those myself........I forget the exact year (ran the numbers about 15 years ago) but this 283 has the canister oil filter setup. Thinking '57 or '61?
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Buddy talked me out of a pistol grip shifter that I had on my wall for years. "gonna use someday, it's cool" tho I had no mopars
              His philosophy was "If you don't use it in a year, chuck it! ". He had a big barn full of stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                Care to share the details on those dusty old 283 heads? I may or may not have a set of those myself........I forget the exact year (ran the numbers about 15 years ago) but this 283 has the canister oil filter setup. Thinking '57 or '61?
                58-59, staggered valve cover bolt, power pack.
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                  Some things, yeah, other things, maybe it's worth more to me. And I always see what it's worth to others before getting rid of it, some things are a gold mine (like those dusty old 283 heads, for example)
                  Got me thinking I might be able to get $300 for top end parts on that Pontiac engine collecting dust in the corner... But then I have to find time to pull it apart, box and ship them.....

Hey Stiney, by my math, you owe me $500 for that shifter And don't let CDMBill see this thread!
                  Last edited by TheSilverBuick; November 13, 2013, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Did a little digging (Thanks for the pointer Jim) its quite likely that these are 3755550 heads. After all, the engine did come from a grain truck. But you never know for sure 'till you check!

I'll just send you the heads freight collect Randal. You can keep whatever you get for them?
                    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Deal! Wait, wha??

Comment

An interesting Chebby factiod on 283s and 302s...

1967 and early 1968 DZ302s had small-journal cranks (2.30" main / 2.00" rod journals) with 2-bolt main blocks... essentially a 327 block w/ a 283 crank. It wasn't until mid 1968 -- when Chevy flushed through all remaining 283 cranks in their inventory -- that the mid-journal (2.45" / 2.10") 4-bolt block DZ302 was in the showrooms nestled in the angry Z/28. To this day... still love the debate of the Z/28 Camaro vs. Boss 302 Mustang.

All 283s from the factory were small-journal. Large-journal cranks (2.65" / 2.10") were in the 400 SBC.

Edit: Don't think the 283 block will fetch much scratch.
                        Last edited by jcharliem; November 13, 2013, 07:22 PM.
                        Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Wow,I sparked a good conversation for a change!

The 283 is the original engine from my truck as far as I know. I was the 2nd or third owner of the truck depending on how you look at it. I bought it from the son of the original owner,and I've owned it since '86. It still had the old drop-in canister oil filter until the '95 rebuild. My cousin who still owns a parts store here always kept me one of the drop-in filters in stock. He told me I was one of the last to use them. I wonder if he still has one back in the back somewhere? Anyway, I converted to a spin on filter. I don't miss the heavy-ass drop in filter and canister. I think it might still be around at my parent's old house? The original heads got hauled off in an old parts truck we had. I still have the metal radiator hose too.

I called my Dad and talked to him,and he agreed that I should give the engine away. At least let the buyer look at it before he takes it for sure. I'm 44,and Dad is almost 66 so we're not entirely sure where all the engine parts are. The block and pistons are definitely there. Can you feel me? Doesn't get any better huh?
                          Last edited by Karberator; November 13, 2013, 09:49 PM.
                          sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

sure it does. When you're cleaning you'll find stuff you had forgotten about. It's kind of like easter eggs. I found a 331 crank yesterday while cleaning, errrr, looking for something else I had hidden from myself.

The plan sounds solid, especially for kin folk. Can you get the numbers off the block and do a search? Early 283 cranks were forged and some blocks were reportedly capable of taking a .125 bore. That'd get you a 302 I believe.
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                              ...Early 283 cranks were forged and some blocks were reportedly capable of taking a .125 bore. That'd get you a 302 I believe.
                              That was a recipe for added cubes in the 60s. Punch the 283 to a 4" bore, and you had yourself a 302. Hot rodders' trick 50 years ago...
                              Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                                sure it does. When you're cleaning you'll find stuff you had forgotten about. It's kind of like easter eggs. I found a 331 crank yesterday while cleaning, errrr, looking for something else I had hidden from myself.

The plan sounds solid, especially for kin folk. Can you get the numbers off the block and do a search? Early 283 cranks were forged and some blocks were reportedly capable of taking a .125 bore. That'd get you a 302 I believe.
                                I will if I can remember too...
                                sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

Working...
                                X