Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squirrel
    replied
    I sold a couple sets of early 283 heads, bare, for $500/pr.....but you have yucky 305 heads, so I'm no help. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Interesting... So the 283 I saw apart with large journals were line bored larger?
    Wouldn't that weaken the motor if it was done that way?
    It was in a circle track car in he late 60's..

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    302s are made with large journal, 283 stroke cranks in a 327 block (not DZ 302, but you get 302 from that combination).... certainly would help value to the motor if he knew

Leave a comment:

• OldMachinist
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    large or small journal crank?
    All the 283's I've ever seen were small journal. Some of the later 327's were large journal and to the best of my recollection the large journal cranks were all cast.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    Large journals are desireable
    55 and 56, some early 57's have no oil filter bosses..

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    I've made hauls out of places where the guy gets kicked out in a divorce and got alot of good stuff, alot went to scrap because I ran out of room to keep stuff! Running motors, mowers, lift gate, full sheets of steel, and a 4 cyl Kohler flat head generator.. List can fill pages!

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Huskinhano
    replied
    I'd just give it to him. To me buying an engine like that, it would not be worth any more then a core charge. If it was something like a dual quad 270 hp vette motor from 58 that would be a different story but a mish mash of parts...

Leave a comment:

• Karberator
    replied
    Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
    $0, just hand it over?
    I have actually thought of doing just that. My cousin's wife and her husband just had a baby with Down's,and the husband hurt his back really bad several years ago. I have thought about letting him run it for free, or try to run it to see how the engine does after sitting for so long before I take any money. They sure don't need another headache for sure.

This engine was pretty tough before I rebuilt it. I had to put a cam in it when I was 16,and it was one of those 270/280 .420 .443 specials from NAPA. I used to wind it to the moon. As I said before,I know I was making way more power after the rebuild with the Comp cam and headers,305 heads,and the Performer RPM intake. It ran like a turd,but I was "King of the Drive-In" with that cam. Wow.
    Last edited by Karberator; November 12, 2013, 04:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Barry Donovan
    replied
    Originally posted by Deaf Bob
    If he gets it free, he might not take care of it.. And just blow it since it was free..
    I'd make a screamer with a 4" bore block...302 Chevy anybody?
    I like bobs idea.. or of its the HO 305 heads (1.84 inch intake), stand ground at 700-1000 minimum. Instruct to have a big radiator, that should be nice with the right cam. That must sound real nice. thick old iron.

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    It's an engine that hasn't ran in 17 years and you are worried how he is going to take care of it? Then follow it up with making it a high winding engine with thin bores that is just as likely or more so to blow up?
    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; November 12, 2013, 03:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    $0, just hand it over?

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    There is a guy trying to sell a 283 built for derbying.. Sounds awesome and won several derbies.. He started at 600 or so.. Last I looked he was down to $450, still no takers.
    I'm with Loren on the heads and cam.. 283's can be real dogs with too much cam..

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied
    I bought a '60 283 a couple years ago...the reason was, for period-correctness of a particular project. I suspect most people would want it for that these days, therefore the 305 heads might be a negative...and as you say, somebody might have to get in there and change the cam. If it's otherwise in good shape and would make a good driver motor, $350? All the usual caveats about selling to someone you know apply.

Leave a comment:

• Karberator
    started a topic What to ask for my 283??

What to ask for my 283??

The husband of my wife's cousin has expressed interest in buying the 283 from my '64 C10. My parents have moved to a different home,and my Dad and I have been divesting ourselves of extra vehicles and parts.

The engine was rebuilt in '95. It is bored .040,balanced,and it has a Comp Magnum 280 cam in it. It had 305 heads on it with Z/28 valve springs which the buyer may or may not want. It sounded AWESOME,but it had way too much cam in it.

The engine has very few miles on it,but it hasn't run since about '96 or so. It has been in storage at my parent's house ever since. I haven't looked at it in a long time so I don't know what kind of shape it's in.

So how much?
Working...
X