Sema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sema

Does anyone else get overwhelmed/burned out by all the latest offerings that are introduced at SEMA? I appreciate that new product is a sign of confidence and shows the hobby is in good health, but damn I just wish it wasn't all so high end. It's tough being a sentimental middle-aged fart on a budget.
    Michael from Hampton Roads

Some of them are so close to going asia size in business scale.. and don't. That is the mismatch killing americans/euro who invented it all. Banks with the diesels, had my interest since I was a kid.

About the dumbest weird thing going is the cost of the all in one injections looking like a carb. That price could be a lot cheaper for being a world saving gadget.. and furthermore, the same body chiseled down to different CFM would not be difficult. That would be a world market for all of them. Holley, msd, etc etc.

Spec clutch made a clutch for an 80s Subaru.. I could only guess how freakish large that company is, all for building something for a lost machine.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Sure. All the fancy, high price, high end toys get the the press. When I was there, it was easy to filter out and pass by the stuff I had no interest in, ie 4x4 stuff beyond truck do-dads that were interesting, giant ass truck wheels, anything import, etc. Then looked I over the neato-gizwhiz toys and cars for cool ideas and such. Looking a half million dollar car upset because you can't build one like it; or getting pissed because you can't afford that 24" diameter, full race, billet steel turbo is just silly. The percentage of car builders who can is less 1% and those people are fully funded race teams and guys who live in expensive zip codes who buy those SEMA type cars as bragging rights and never drive the thing.

My income level has made me face facts and use things other than my credit card to get a car built.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mlcraven View Post
        Does anyone else get overwhelmed/burned out by all the latest offerings that are introduced at SEMA? I appreciate that new product is a sign of confidence and shows the hobby is in good health, but damn I just wish it wasn't all so high end. It's tough being a sentimental middle-aged fart on a budget.
        You are not alone..
        I go for simple..
        Love crank windows and single speed wipers!
        Unfortunately 14 and 15 inch tire offerings are starting to diminish..

Comment

I think attendance was down this year, even my one buddy that goes almost every year for the whole week only went for a few days this year. I was getting SEMA emails about registering for tickets up until the event started. I'm thinking that from the pics I've seen from the various people I subscribe to on Facebook, that I didn't miss much.
          The Green Machine.
          http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Don't get me wrong. SEMA is necessary..
            But boy the pomp and circumcise! Oops I mean circumstance!

Comment

Originally posted by BigAL View Post
              I think attendance was down this year, even my one buddy that goes almost every year for the whole week only went for a few days this year. I was getting SEMA emails about registering for tickets up until the event started. I'm thinking that from the pics I've seen from the various people I subscribe to on Facebook, that I didn't miss much.
              Hotel costs have skyrocketed. Gone are the $10 prime rib dinners and $8 buffets.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                Don't get me wrong. SEMA is necessary..
                But boy the pomp and circumcise! Oops I mean circumstance!
                It is necessary to a point, but limiting it just to people in the business, IMO hurts them. Meaning that if I have a product and showcase it at SEMA I only show it to people that are in the industry, now if those people don't market my product so the general public becomes aware of it, it really did me no good to showcase my product at SEMA. I think if it was open to the general public the Manufactures would have a broader audience to showcase their products to, then they could direct people to the venders in their area to purchase the products. Basically Johnny Hotrod would see something that he thinks is off the hook, he'll take a pic of it, put it on Facebook and advertise that product to all his friends. I'm thinking whoever they have running the show, isn't looking at the big picture......
                Last edited by BigAL; November 13, 2013, 10:06 PM.
                The Green Machine.
                http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                  Some of them are so close to going asia size in business scale.. and don't. That is the mismatch killing americans/euro who invented it all. Banks with the diesels, had my interest since I was a kid.

About the dumbest weird thing going is the cost of the all in one injections looking like a carb. That price could be a lot cheaper for being a world saving gadget.. and furthermore, the same body chiseled down to different CFM would not be difficult. That would be a world market for all of them. Holley, msd, etc etc.

Spec clutch made a clutch for an 80s Subaru.. I could only guess how freakish large that company is, all for building something for a lost machine.
                  I agree with the point you make about the fuel injection kits -- I've considered going that route for the driveability and other advantages but the price stops me dead in my tracks. Why so expensive? Min of 3x more than what I've ever paid for a carburetor.

With the exception of the car itself, or an engine rebuild/crate motor, once the price point for any item or combination of related items (brakes, shocks, etc) hits a grand it's pretty much out of my league.

But I'm a middle-aged grump who still thinks $20 should go a long way and a $1500 card limit is lots.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                    Sure. All the fancy, high price, high end toys get the the press. When I was there, it was easy to filter out and pass by the stuff I had no interest in, ie 4x4 stuff beyond truck do-dads that were interesting, giant ass truck wheels, anything import, etc. Then looked I over the neato-gizwhiz toys and cars for cool ideas and such. Looking a half million dollar car upset because you can't build one like it; or getting pissed because you can't afford that 24" diameter, full race, billet steel turbo is just silly. The percentage of car builders who can is less 1% and those people are fully funded race teams and guys who live in expensive zip codes who buy those SEMA type cars as bragging rights and never drive the thing.

My income level has made me face facts and use things other than my credit card to get a car built.
                    I take your point Scott, and I accept that lots of the stuff brought out at SEMA is probably never intended for the little guy or the "shade tree' enthusiast on a limited budget. I'm sure the SEMA cars serve a purpose, demonstrating what is the art of the possible when bottom line considerations take a back seat. But I'd be a lot happier if you could tell me that at the show there are also lots of useful products at the less expensive end of the scale, ones that we're just not seeing in the media write-ups and press releases (and even here on BS).

Comment

Interesting comment...at the major racing events, car shows, etc., I certainly get as much enjoyment visiting the vendors booths as I do watching the action -- even if they're only selling t-shirts and tin signs. And it's my observation that so do a lot of other folks.

Comment

Originally posted by mlcraven View Post
                        I take your point Scott, and I accept that lots of the stuff brought out at SEMA is probably never intended for the little guy or the "shade tree' enthusiast on a limited budget. I'm sure the SEMA cars serve a purpose, demonstrating what is the art of the possible when bottom line considerations take a back seat. But I'd be a lot happier if you could tell me that at the show there are also lots of useful products at the less expensive end of the scale, ones that we're just not seeing in the media write-ups and press releases (and even here on BS).
                        PRI is next month in Indy. I can bet the turbo companies won't be bringing their updated T-70's, but will be showing off their billet 120 mm, weather changing turbos. Will Holley have their $400 carb line? Nope, they will have their new flat black, billet aluminum, $1000 double pumpers there for sure. Aeromotive's newest, latest fuel pump capable of draining New Orleans 9th Ward in one day will be there too. Average Joe parts don't sell the mags when on the cover.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X