Parts guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Parts guys

We're not allowed to eat at the counter. Why would you want to? Having some guy that reeks of cigarettes coughing all over my food is not my idea of a good time.

We used to have a parts guy here that called his broker every Thurs. morning for about 45min. and he also was a gun dealer, so alot of his time was spent that way too. He worked here for 25 years, nobody ever did anything about it. Oh yeah, he used to eat at the counter too. He was kind of a jerk at work, but I ended teaching him how to snowboard and went skiing with him a few times. He was totally a different guy outside of work. I used to give him a hard time because he was a Corvette guy. He would go to Corvettes at Carlisle in his 89 Mustang GT. When I saw his cars I understood better. He had 2 low mileage survivors, a '64 and a '72. Nice cars

Comment

Friggin NAPA guys closed 5 minutes early, @$*&%!!
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

That is the thing about NAPA, its like a national chain that works the local guys hours.... then again they generally are the best local guys, them or Car Quest.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
          That is the thing about NAPA, its like a national chain that works the local guys hours.... then again they generally are the best local guys, them or Car Quest.
          My experience of late is in the last five or so years what I'd called the NAPA Expertise has been diluted down to common AZ, Pepboys, etc line of employees. Not to mention even their main warehouses stopped stocking Buick 455 parts, so that every other parts chain store can get parts (even simple things like valve cover gaskets) way quicker than them. I used to be happy to pay a little extra and to drive to NAPA's main warehouse in Fontana to get the part instantly, but now they treat me like an idiot (literally) for having a car and engine that haven't been made in over 30 years.

Comment

I was gonna say that about napa too, seems the counter guys these days don't have the knowledge the old guys did.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
              I was gonna say that about napa too, seems the counter guys these days don't have the knowledge the old guys did.
              They used to be all paper catalog guys. Everytime I walked in with something that had a measurement to it (mostly U-joints) they'd break out the dial caliper and measure it out then look in a book and get me the exact u-joint. That actually helps when you do drive line swaps. After I had put a 700R4 in my Firebird I had the drive shaft shortened, and the place that did the shortening supplied the new u-joints for it. Well after about six months driving the thing threw a rear u-joint cap on the freeway. Took what was left of the U-joint (three caps) and the guy pulls out the caliper and looks at the one of the caps and says "This cap has been chattering inside the driveshaft, it's the wrong size" measures it out and up's the size one notch. I put it back in the car (it fit perfectly) and a vibration I had always had since the trans swap around 35-40mph was completely gone. I had figured it to be a bad rim or something, but nope it was the u-joint. You know the guy is good when they can spot things like that and correctly solve your problem. When I go back to that NAPA (the previously mentioned warehouse) there are three guys left from back when they were good, the rest are just people hired off the streets to ask you the questions the computer prompts them to ask. *sigh* :-\

Comment

These stories in 1818:

"You see that new guy at the blacksmith's shop, Jedediah?"
                "Yeah, he doesn't know anything about horse shoes"
                "He asked me if I fed the horse grain or oats....what does that matter?!"
                "HA! He asked me if the horse pulled a plough or a buggy...these kids don't know anything."

These stories from 1918:

"You see that new fellow at the Stanley Steamer delaership?"
                "The gentleman is sadly lacking in knowledge of automobiles"
                "Yeah, I went in there looking for an ignitor for my gas headlamps and he asked if the horseless carriage has wooden or metal wheels....what does that matter?!"
                "Ha! He asked me if the tires were solid or pneumatic...these kids don't know anything."

These stories from 2018:

"You see that new plebe at the hybrid horsepower center?"
                "The kid doesn't know a flux capacitor from a knifler rod"
                "I went in there because I needed a new electro-magnetic hydrogenator and he asked if it was a hydrogen powered or gas powered car...what does that matter."
                "Ha! He asked me what color my car is...these kids don't know anything."
                "Remember the good ol' days when they had a computer? Now they just have the micro chip in their head."

Tongue planted firmly in cheek.

;D ;D

Brian
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

When they want to put a chip in my head, I'm done. ;D

Comment

They can't (or won't) pay the older guys what they're worth, so the older guys move on. No one worth a damn is going to work for 9-10 bucks an hour, when they can get almost double that by going to a dealership parts department!

So, NAPA settles for the same people as AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Mooosman

They can't (or won't) pay the older guys what they're worth, so the older guys move on. No one worth a damn is going to work for 9-10 bucks an hour, when they can get almost double that by going to a dealership parts department!

So, NAPA settles for the same people as AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc.

Nick
                      That's funny, our local CarQuest store offered me a few dollars more to come work there. I asked my boss for a raise and he said no way, you're lucky to get what you get, if he had his way he'd fire me and hire someone to do my job cheaper. I said you mean you'll hire a few people to do my job. I replaced two people when I came here. One day I'll grant him his wish. ;) Apparently, I'm at the top of the pay scale for my position?

Comment

Originally posted by VTJUNK
                        When they want to put a chip in my head, I'm done. ;D
                        Get ready...
                        The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

IT HASN'T AFFECTED ME IN ANY WAY. I AM JUST THE SAME AS EVER. DO NOT FEAR THE INEVITABLE.

(Pronounce all the above in a monotone).

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                            IT HASN'T AFFECTED ME IN ANY WAY. I AM JUST THE SAME AS EVER. DO NOT FEAR THE INEVITABLE.

Dan
                            LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes

Dan
                              Resistance is futile!

Comment

Working...
                              X