56 survivor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 survivor

I thought I'd show some pics of my brother in law's 56 Chevy survivor. I may have some rust repairs to do on this in the future, but I think he really enjoys driving it just the way it is...untouched.

This car was left to him by his uncle who bought the car new in Dec of 1955. It stayed primarily on the farm, and was kept out of the weather in a shed. Where it does show some battle scars and has some rust damage from over the years, it is neat to see a car left largely untouched.

Are these mirrors an original Chevy item? Dealer installed? My bil did say he had a receipt where his uncle had taken the car back for dealer installed back up lights, not sure on these, though.

Farmer repaired eyebrows using aluminum flashing and paint purchased at the dealer..

Original wheels with the factory pin stripe...

This is one of the nicest fitting doors I have ever seen on a tri five...

Having performed some of the tri five roof repairs, it's nice to see one in this pristine condition, still in factory paint. Looks like having been in the shade of a shed has protected the car from the extreme temperature changes that causes the condensation inside the roof skin.

More farm repairs.... heater control knob..

...and here's the original mileage on this 6 cylinder car...

Robert

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

MP&C Youtube Channel

Man that's great. I'm not sure I could have left it unmolested... I hope I look that good at 58.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Reminds me of the old lady that drives a 55 150 in Culver City in a darker blue.

I bet that passenger door got fixed at the dealer right it was purchased new and taken back to the dealer and complained about how lousy it came from the factory.

I would be scared to see what's under that fender repair. But, I know you can fix it.
      Last edited by Scott Liggett; November 16, 2013, 08:06 PM.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

It's always cool to see stuff like that. I'd say the side mirrors were dealer add on. Back then the base model cars didn't have side mirrors. Usually only the driver's side.

I see it's a 3 on the tree.
        Tom
        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

peculiar outcome. maybe this car thinks its the sky hiding in a cloud. I am steel nut.. that car looks great from what you are saying. in a shed or not, thermals are still happening.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Very nice........love all the originality.
            How are the floor pans and trunk?...........that rust is an easy fix.
            All kinds of patch panels available.
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. He has asked before about repairing rust but only spot repairing the paint, as he's trying to keep as much original as he can. I think the dealership likely added the mirrors. Didn't look at the floors, not sure on the trunk but it did still have the original mat inside, original tire instruction sheet on the side panel, and the insulation in the trunk lid looked about perfect.. I'll have to see if I can get more pics next time I go over there...
              Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

Having had to shim the frame on a tri-five I can appreciate that door gap.

Comment

Ok, had some requests so here's some pics of the engine bay...

The radiator had been recored and does still sport the Harrison logo on the tank.
                  Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                    I'm not sure I could have left it unmolested...
                    I so desperately want to make a wise crack about your need to molest cars but have absolutely no room to talk.

To me, IMO, a car is truly left alone when the monkey hasn't been under the hood. This car is worth soooo much more than anything Lambrecht (sp) had to offer, IMO.
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

The only thing we need to see now is a for sale sign...

Comment

Knowing him pretty well, I doubt that happens. It will likely be left with the farm... for the next "caretaker"
                        Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by MP&C View Post
                          Knowing him pretty well, I doubt that happens. It will likely be left with the farm... for the next "caretaker"
                          I've been scoping a 56 4 dr wagon I think you'll dig. Don't know if the guy will sell it yet.

Comment

Cool that it has a longblock. Other than a Buick, they don't get much longer! Dad's '55 looked pretty similar under the hood though I barely remember it as I was youngun' when it left for a '57 Ford and then.........

Dan

Comment

Working...
                            X