• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making a race car of a mercedes diesel

Bentley. pffft.
    "W" this mr.bentley.

Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
    Bentley. pffft.
    "W" this mr.bentley.

Japanese tin arguing against English tin? if you listen closely, you can hear them rust in stereo
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Why would any fool hotrod a M-B Diesel?

The 606 is a newer version than I can afford. Like maybe 1990 and up - thereabouts. Lots you can do to make 'em go fast.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

The 606 is a newer version than I can afford. Like maybe 1990 and up - thereabouts. Lots you can do to make 'em go fast.

Dan
        DOHC even.

The Fin's are pretty crazy.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dan
          you can't hide. I bet you end up with a world record.

and beagle, this compared to Japanese tin, in maine, has same outcomes.. rockers, arch roots, floors and even windshields popping out. The bimmer is not exactly a superhero either. I love welding, would do the merc diesel.. I still random search for the little 4 speed four banger. Not many stayed as long term mile climbers, too slow. They are only missing a little boost to be normal.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

there are a few that pop up around here. North Texas cars eat interiors from the sun, but the rust dogs stay at bay pretty much. 240D is more than I can go, but maybe in a 2100 pound gutted 320i it would be only dangerously slow instead of fatally slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
              there are a few that pop up around here. North Texas cars eat interiors from the sun, but the rust dogs stay at bay pretty much. 240D is more than I can go, but maybe in a 2100 pound gutted 320i it would be only dangerously slow instead of fatally slow.
              fatally slow... not just for ten geared 1987 subarus. Understanding guts makes the hot rod. The boxer and diesel both a misjusticed past. The diesel has a means to go waaaay beyond. My dad this year with his 550 cat. Just november climbing into the two turbos needed a new universal joint, cold air density change. If you know the size of a rigs universal.. holy cow. That power number to eat one is mythological. Anyway, that is why diesels and boxers (3 main) are slowed. Exceeds cost of manufacturing on the pansy chassis. Making a W engine while there is masters unmastered...blah. To me it is Selfish, and a bit mentally retarded. that is all I am saying.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

the 240d's four cylinder wasn't ever meant to have a big pump and turbos.. it's slowed by design and designed to stay that way. The Mercedes factory turbo'd stuff is much more capable of handling modifications, according to "Them" ... I'd be okay with taking "them's" word for it instead of picking up rod bits ...
                Last edited by Beagle; November 17, 2013, 12:23 PM.

Comment

They did make some of the later 240Ds with a turbo, or so the guys on the M-B forum say. I've never personally met one and won't unless one checks in at PnP. The 240D has an OM616 engine designation, the 300D series (mine was a 300SD) uses an OM617. They're the same exact engine except the 617 has one more cylinder, making for 3.0L. They both have forged everything and are tough as nails. It's the surrounding car that's fragile and annoying. So either can handle a turbo just fine.

There are European guys who claim to make 600HP out of an OM617 and it probably isn't impossible, just pricey.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                  X