Old crap that becomes shelf art.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old crap that becomes shelf art.

I don't have a bunch of stuff lying about. Mostly, it's stuff that is family heirlooms, Dad's old compass, grandfather's cigar humidor and ashtray made from B-17 pistons, etc.

Yesterday, while junkyard crawling I found an old rusted wrench and an 8 pack of RC Cola bottles. The latter was found in a '68 Impala that literally had 6 inches of rat crap and nests. While cleaning them up and cleaning out the 40 years of dirt, I noticed that the dirt in four of the bottles was actually mouse carcasses. A bit gross, but they will wash up nicely. Amazingly, the rodents never chewed up the box. Must've been Coke drinkers.

Any of you have what could be called garbage on the shelf?
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

That's quite a good find for a junkyard, and not rotted away much either!

When I was a kid, I found a car rotting back in the woods, way too far gone to know what it is, other than a few bits of stainless trim lying around, and a dogdish hubcap for a late 60s Valiant, ever since then, I've used that to keep all my change in
    Funny thing is, the trim around the car didn't match any late 60s Plymouths.
    Last edited by Eagle Kammback; November 17, 2013, 07:10 PM.
    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Kammback View Post
      That's quite a good find for a junkyard, and not rotted away much either!

When I was a kid, I found a car rotting back in the woods, way too far gone to know what it is, other than a few bits of stainless trim lying around, and a dogdish hubcap for a late 60s Valiant, ever since then, I've used that to keep all my change in
      Funny thing is, the trim around the car didn't match any late 60s Plymouths.
      Back in the '70's, people who were not made of money, just put hubcaps on their cars that fit the car. Being correct make didn't matter. By the time you came along, you could buy hubcaps cheap at K Mart. Even worse than a Plymouth hubcap on a Buick.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Most of what's on the shelfs in here is old garbage. 8" floppy disks. Shrink wrapped Linux from the 1990s. Dead 10mb hard drive. Broken big block chevy rocker arm. A dozen or two version of PC-DOS. Hundreds of 3.5" floppy disks. Instamatic cameras. Working 360k floppy drives. A TV with rotating knobs. 5 each 8088 laptops. It never ends. And that's just in one room.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I have a couple old cameras too. I found my mom's 16 mm Minolta that must've been like James Bond's when it was new.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

In the summer of 1985 my oldest cousin on mom's side got married. On the day of the wedding while everyone else was getting ready, two of my uncles, another cousin, and myself went on a small road trip between London & Paris, KY in a Ford Courier to look at a 33/4 Ford 3 window coupe body. Laying in the grass close to the body was the speedometer face for that car, it's the only Ford part I own. We put that body in the bed of the Courier and drove back in time for the wedding. The car is long gone and the marriage recently dissolved too.

I inherited my grandfather's (dad's side) tools when he died. I have a ratchet from the 40's that is made from formed sheet metal held together with rivets. Toolbox art.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Art or just junk?
              Couple bucket like containers printed "FIREBALL" about a cup sized,
              Fish eye mirror so I can see who is at the door without turning around.
              2 handball sized ball bearings for hand exercisers
              Oil painting of an olds and Impala circle track racing (63-5) a friend painted for me
              Paper decoy duck
              Loaded pistol
              All within reach or eye sight of me.

Comment

Oh hell yeah.......I'm all about that stuff.

Dig the sodas bottles.
                Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

In the garage, got signs, gallon oil cans, all kinds of knick knacks with my main tools and antique tools..
                  Mall circular saw..
                  Gynologist table with spurs for a rolling toolbox, too much junk around it to roll..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                    Art or just junk?
                    Couple bucket like containers printed "FIREBALL" about a cup sized,
                    Fish eye mirror so I can see who is at the door without turning around.
                    2 handball sized ball bearings for hand exercisers
                    Oil painting of an olds and Impala circle track racing (63-5) a friend painted for me
                    Paper decoy duck
                    Loaded pistol
                    All within reach or eye sight of me.
                    I got some fish eye mirror from one of my dads old rigs. Not sure why I keep it.. I forgot. This time of year here is like the stories of shipwrecks on the great lakes. mystery winds etc. tattle sounds came across the mirrors instead. It could be the 2 million mile rig of my dads? cannot remember why I kept that mirror. Everything was replaced but one round mirror, passenger side. survived all 2 million. Not sure if my own reason of keeping is true.

I also saved a piston, old Subaru. 25 years, one rod never had a bearing.
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I have a Packard hub cap I bought at an antique store. I told the lady I was restoring a Packard. She was an older lady and her eyes lit up. I told het this was the first piece of the whole car I had....

That's a pretty good find Scott.
                      Last edited by Huskinhano; November 17, 2013, 09:20 PM.
                      Tom
                      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I have an old Kiehin carb, found it at the Barber's Vintage Fest. It was $1.00 cheapset souvenir I've ever bought. Also have an old Mickey Thompson rod. Have no idea what it came out of, it was in a box junk that was in an old Nova.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Lon_H; November 17, 2013, 10:02 PM.
                        Lon. HazelGreen Ala.

Comment

Do these count?
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Hell yeah!

Comment

Yep. At one point in time I was collecting those too.

Comment

Working...
                              X