My Product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Product

I made some skid plate to frame inserts that fit CJ/YJ/TJ's. These were made out of necessity because rust belt bolts & nuts rot out, break off & spin inside of things when disassembled. I made a small run of these inserts & actually sold a few sets. The buyers were happy, said they installed & welded up nicely. OEM inserts sell for $8-$10 a piece, I've sold mine for $70 shipped to USA. Take a look at the pics & let me know what you guys think. I'm gauging interest right now, more demand = more parts, more parts = cheaper prices..

I PM'd a few BS'ers about this & have received good feedback so far...

Originally posted by boxer3main
    I do not need, but it does gain an idea for the forum. A users products listed someplace.. and not a big company.
    Originally posted by STINEY
    Ironic....I just Sunday afternoon sold a CJ7 that I cut slots in the frame to remove/replace these very pieces.

It was a major PIA. I'd say there is a market!
    Originally posted by milner351
    Way to show the American spirit! It does seem to be a limited market - but - ebay is a powerful tool - I would think you could sell many more sets with some good ads on ebay...
    Originally posted by milner351
    Good Luck! What's next?
    I have ideas for blind hole applications...

Is there a market here? Or is it time to get a job at Wendys?

What is Wendy's paying?

Looks like a great idea. I'm not a Jeep guy so I have no way to assess the market but I'll wager there are a fair number of Jeeps just crying for these.

Dan

Comment

You'll know you're a success when someone starts getting them made in china and selling them for half of the cost you make them for.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
        You'll know you're a success when someone starts getting them made in china and selling them for half of the cost you make them for.
        I just vomited.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

As I don't see these installed in the frame, let me ask some questions...

First, is it necessary to drill out or remove the old inserts in the frame? Or do you drill new holes for these?

Second, what is the purpose of the flat sides on the flange of the insert?

And finally.... Why didn't I think of that?

Looks like you have a decent product. An instructional video for installation would be nice for the DIY crowd.

Good luck with the sales!

Ron
          It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I like it too, but I'd be temped to buy some of these for a lot less if I had to fix a jeep.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.
            My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
              As I don't see these installed in the frame, let me ask some questions...
              First, is it necessary to drill out or remove the old inserts in the frame?
              Or do you drill new holes for these?
              Never took pics of the install DOH! BUT, I have a friend I'm sending a set to who will take pics.

The OEM inserts are tack welded to the frame.
              Simply grind the welds off & remove the remains.
              Some drilling is required, usually 1/16"-1/8" over.
              The hole sizes vary from vehicle to vehicle, none are drilled perfect.
              Clean up the perimeter of the holes for good weld penetration & install.

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
              Second, what is the purpose of the flat sides on the flange of the insert?
              The flats are for positioning & welding. OEM inserts have a round flange, I added flats to give more area for a nice even bead of weld.

Here's a comparison. OEM inserts use a deep pilot, mine are shallow. I use the same amount of threads but with a larger bolt size.
              The wall thickness is twice that of OEM to ensure these don't rot & break off in a few years like the OEM's do.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                I like it too, but I'd be temped to buy some of these for a lot less if I had to fix a jeep.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#weld-nuts/=pg9sc4
                Those inserts rot and break off due to thin wall thickness.
                The threads crap out after a few installs/removals too.
                Cheap yes, but not the best choice for this application.
                They're stamped & there's barely enough material to hold a trans & xfer case to a frame.

Mine are a one shot deal, weld 'em, bolt 'em, never worry again.

I did my homework on this one.

Comment

Great engineering..........and be sure to advertise Made in the USA
                  I always go for the USA stuff......even if it cost's more.
                  Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Just goes to show...I'd never make it in the rustbelt.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

Idk if you've ever been on jeepforum but theres two stickied threads in the TJ section about fixing these nutserts. One is about the Mcmaster weld nuts above and the other I believe uses OEM nutserts. http://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Nut...nt-Kit_c79.htm There are competing products out there but not sure how their wall thickness compares
                      1996 Ranger 4x4 on 33's

Comment

Originally posted by NJBrian View Post
                        Idk if you've ever been on jeepforum but theres two stickied threads in the TJ section about fixing these nutserts. One is about the Mcmaster weld nuts above and the other I believe uses OEM nutserts. http://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Nut...nt-Kit_c79.htm There are competing products out there but not sure how their wall thickness compares
                        Thanks for the link, their prices are good. I think I can compete with that & with a better product to boot. Same wall thickness on those, stamped too. Mine are machined out of bar stock. I like the countersunk washers, that's another part I'd like to make.

There's no doubt those inserts work, the McMaster Carr ones do too. The wall thickness is too thin in my opinion.

Comment

I like it. No doubt you've identified a real problem and I don't know of any other products other than whats already in this thread so if you can market yours as superior then I don't see why it wouldn't sell. Maybe selling as a vendor on these jeep sites is a good way to get it going
                          1996 Ranger 4x4 on 33's

Comment

Working...
                          X