• Show
Clear All

• Thanksgiving, A General Discussion

Click image for larger version

Name:	1479549_755385217810635_399119872_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	880792

Boy howdy, yes indeed. In fact I feel people should sleep in and not shop until noon Friday so the workers can laugh at their idiot bosses and ridicule the greedy human vultures that show up early with much more leisure. I have people ask me, "Is it smart to buy a computer on Black Friday?". Well no, not unless you prefer bottom end outdated hardware you could have gotten used a LOT cheaper IF you were smart enough to already own a computer and put a LITTLE effort into learning about it and enjoying it rather than just asking me a stupid question or two. Before computers there were magazines. Racks and racks of them in every retail general merchandise store in the country. You need to look harder these days, but they are still there, I'm certain although I do all my shopping online. Exert some effort and PLAY HARD like this GOOD AMERICAN!
    Last edited by RockJustRock; November 20, 2013, 10:03 AM.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

The liquor stores are closed here on Thanksgiving. Plan in advance.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Amen!
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

WalMart sells Beer and Ammo, you're covered. If they added headers and roller cams you wouldn't need anywhere else to shop.
        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I'm stocked up on headers and roller cams... Wal-mart sells batteries. The beer is on the other side of the store, half a mile further than I will walk for it. They also never have the ammo I need and Cabela's will ship to store where I can pick it up at the front counter. I'm not letting family in my house without being stocked up on that either!

what about the Glaucoma doctors? Will those with back pain have to eat turkey with a normal appetite or will the "Green Friday Stores" be open for business?
          Last edited by Beagle; November 20, 2013, 10:56 AM.

Comment

I don't shop on thanksgiving for the simple fact I'm too bushed/full to move!
            It's alotta work putting out a spread!

Comment

I have to I agree with the plan ahead advice. On a serious note, according to the article I read yesterday, the stores open on Thursday are the ones whose returns per share are down this year again. In short they are hurting for America's seasonal shopping dollars. What Wall Street fails to realize is that in business as in life, there is a natural progression, Darwin figured it out and tried to explain it but many would have none of his logic. People are born, grow up, grow old, and die. Companies find a niche to fill and once that niche goes away the company follows. Big companies have to change with the times to stay around for generations. JCP is a good example, they have made several changes in the last couple years and are still hurting, maybe not as bad but still in trouble. If Sam Walton could see what his baby has become in the hands of his descendants he'd be rolling in his grave. Is the Chinese crap any more valuable on Thursday evening than it was on Wednesday afternoon? NO! The retailer has reduce their markup in hope to move more volume, but all of us here know this and will stay home with family, right?!

Last edited by 68scott385; November 20, 2013, 03:35 PM.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Come to think of it, I worked at a gas station on Thanksgiving 30 plus years ago. They closed at 5 instead of 9 so we could be with family for dinner. The owner worked too, on principal. You couldn't pay me money to go shopping on Friday though.

Comment

What about workers who love their jobs and have no family, or the workers who can't stand there family. "I have to work" could be a great excuse to avoid the anual family drunken brawl. Do you want to deprive these people of that opportunity?

Comment

I have to be in Disney this year, but I understand the sentiment.
                    "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Originally posted by Hemi Joel View Post
                      What about workers who love their jobs and have no family, or the workers who can't stand there family. "I have to work" could be a great excuse to avoid the anual family drunken brawl. Do you want to deprive these people of that opportunity?
                      you need a wingman and a single cab truck with bucket seats for that ... "Broken axle, need help!"

Workers at their desk won't be shopping? Does ANYBODY love a retail job? They may need some professional help.
                      Last edited by Beagle; November 20, 2013, 11:52 AM.

Comment

My sister-in-law is once again making her semi-world-famous turducken. I will be fat & happy while watching the Detroit game.

In other news, the cranberry sauce will once again go untouched. It's kinda like fruitcake for Christmas. Pretty to look at, but nobody wants to eat that crap.

Yes, we will be well stocked for not only the holiday on Thursday, but I will have ample reserves so as to have no need to venture past my front door on Black Friday. Yep... three days holed up at the homestead with plenty to eat, plenty to drink and a Road Runner that craves attention. Life is good and I am thankful.
                        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Ron, try relish.. Cranberries and orange run thru a meat grinder with sugar! Good!
                          Recipe on most packages..
                          I like stewed cranberries.. But not jellied or in a can!
                          Sometimes I stew the cranberries pretty thick, then use as a topping on ice cream or toast.. Yes add sugar!
                          How people eat that canned stuff, I'll never know!

Comment

That would be me, Bob! I LOVE that jellied stuff in a can - sort of cranberry-flavored Gummi Bears only less viscosity.

I'm cooking a turkey and we're meeting up with friends at one of our buddy's houses. Always a nice time. We're hoping our Atlanta daughter is coming but that's not for sure yet. Either way, it's a great life. I woke up this morning and didn't see roots - that's a great day.

As far as not working on T-Day - I agree. I'm not real big on work on any of the other days, either. If we all stay home they'll stop doing this.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]26045[/ATTACH]

Boy howdy, yes indeed. In fact I feel people should sleep in and not shop until noon Friday so the workers can laugh at their idiot bosses and ridicule the greedy human vultures that show up early with much more leisure. I have people ask me, "Is it smart to buy a computer on Black Friday?". Well no, not unless you prefer bottom end outdated hardware you could have gotten used a LOT cheaper IF you were smart enough to already own a computer and put a LITTLE effort into learning about it and enjoying it rather than just asking me a stupid question or two. Before computers there were magazines. Racks and racks of them in every retail general merchandise store in the country. You need to look harder these days, but they are still there, I'm certain although I do all my shopping online. Exert some effort and PLAY HARD like this GOOD AMERICAN!

That "little" effort in say, 1998, still got a high price...even by pros. I bought my first nightmare of a machine from radio shack for $1700...cash. Somewhere near black Friday. You seem like an asshole sometimes. Some people pay for education. Your little effort is someone elses big dollars. We are not all privileged.

I have since gone on to be as super star as an intel business motherboard, in the pc building. Now at 56k hours of runtime..

I suppose a tip for black Friday newbs out for a pc, by an asus motherboard, go from there. Intel is fading away from their own manufacture.

my own take on thanksgiving, is realizing just last year, my mom was mentally challenged, very lovable anyway (RIP). I cooked my own turkey as plain jane as a pilgrim here in new England.. damn good. I cried. Luckiest son of a bitch in the world. My mom could not cook a turkey, got very emotional in fact. .. Left handed to add another oddity to typical chores.

This year, I follow a straight man chef (they do exist) he had a suggestion of a Peruvian turkey, add some spice to the bird, fancy sauce. I will try it. Something never quite accepted was the Spaniards on thanksgiving.. must be that Viking/Columbus/pilgrims argument. At least the Vikings respected Indians.

Anyway, I add spice for the South American recipe. we are all on the same small continent that was none of ours in the beginning...
                              Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 20, 2013, 12:49 PM.
                              Previously boxer3main
                              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                              X