Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Much Would You Pay To have Someone Assemble Your Race Engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much Would You Pay To have Someone Assemble Your Race Engine?

Gave a call to a local machine shop today that specializes in racing engines to get a figure on what it was going to cost me to machine and assemble the nitrous motor I'm putting in the Monte SS. Before I share what he quoted me, what do you think is a good price for assembling the motor, not including the machine work, just the assembly itself.
    The Green Machine.
    http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Originally posted by BigAL View Post
    Gave a call to a local machine shop today that specializes in racing engines to get a figure on what it was going to cost me to machine and assemble the nitrous motor I'm putting in the Monte SS. Before I share what he quoted me, what do you think is a good price for assembling the motor, not including the machine work, just the assembly itself.
    So I can't answer this but do you want it to include:
    installing the crank rods and pistons in the four corners to check the deck height to insure things are correct?
    splitting bearing shells (+.001 -.001) to fine tune rod and main clearances?
    file fitting rings for proper NOS clearances?
    validating pushrod lengths and rocker geometry?
    checking piston to valve clearances?
    degreeing cam?

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
      So I can't answer this but do you want it to include:
      installing the crank rods and pistons in the four corners to check the deck height to insure things are correct?
      splitting bearing shells (+.001 -.001) to fine tune rod and main clearances?
      file fitting rings for proper NOS clearances?
      validating pushrod lengths and rocker geometry?
      checking piston to valve clearances?
      degreeing cam?
      Ya all of that, they will assemble the motor complete from oil pan to carb.

The machine work will be decking the block, boring it .030 over, installing steel main caps in place of the stock cast caps(4 bolt block) which entails an align bore, and balancing the engine.
      Last edited by BigAL; November 21, 2013, 06:20 PM.
      The Green Machine.

Comment

I wouldn't pay anything, I'd do it myself.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Up until very recently, thats what I was doing for a living. If everything goes right-(your oil pump pick up is the right depth to the pan-your intake angles are good-ports line up-rods clear the block-and a dozens of other thing that can go wrong-don't) all the stuff CST said-about $900 is about what they charged. Maybe some more if it was dry sump + a there were a bunch of external lines + such.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

My guy gets about $1200........includes some pulls on the dyno.
              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I think I paid $500 this last time for them to assemble the short block and then we did everything else.
                sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                  My guy gets about $1200........includes some pulls on the dyno.
                  Ya, that's about what he quoted me, he said around $1500. I was told that he is a little on the high side, though I've also heard he does really good work. He did say they would have to mock the motor up and measure everything, before final assembly, which I know takes time. I don't mind paying the money if I'm getting a professional build. Here's a link to the his website and some of the customers he does work for.

The Green Machine.

Comment

Jim Evans is well known is this part of the country.......very meticulous about his work.
                    Engine would be tuned and you'd leave with some dyno sheets.
                    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Jim Evans is well known is this part of the country.......very meticulous about his work.
                      That's what I'm trying to find here locally and I'm hoping that this guy will be the one, he does have the right machinery. And I'm figuring by his clientele that he must do pretty good work. Basically this 350 is a test to see how things go and if everything works out, I'll have him do my twin turbo motor.

We also got to talking about the other parts of the motor like heads(AFR), cam and intake, that's when I mentioned I'm using one of those AFR Titan composite intakes, he said they just did a 310 cubic inch small block using one of those manifolds and it make 590hp. He said he was pretty impressed with it.
                      Last edited by BigAL; November 21, 2013, 09:04 PM.
                      The Green Machine.

Comment

I dont have a line bore fixture

Comment

Same here. I assembled my first motor for my first car in auto shop when I was 15 years old back in 1970 (and hundreds since). Besides saving money, it's something I really enjoy.
                          Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                          I wouldn't pay anything, I'd do it myself.
                          STUGOTS

Comment

Shit that alone's worth in the $500 range around here
                            STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by BigAL View Post
                              Ya, that's about what he quoted me, he said around $1500. I was told that he is a little on the high side, though I've also heard he does really good work. He did say they would have to mock the motor up and measure everything, before final assembly, which I know takes time. I don't mind paying the money if I'm getting a professional build. Here's a link to the his website and some of the customers he does work for.

http://www.rwrengines.com/customersrwr.shtml
                              A day dyno tuning the engine is about half that cost around here. There is a lot of hours involved in mocking up the engine and measuring everything. Hell, it can take an hour just to degree a cam.
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X