Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NAWLINS tour info please !!!!....thats New Orleans.....headed there this week....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAWLINS tour info please !!!!....thats New Orleans.....headed there this week....

I'm flying out Thanksgiving Day headed to The Big Easy....gonna catch a cruise ship to Carribean...I'll be staying in the dirty ole French Quarter at the Omni Royal Orleans .....so...what should I see or do from Thursday til the boat on Sunday? No car...just public transportation or feet....

Thanks
    The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

We did the same deal last year.
    Was a great cruise.

Drago's is a great place to eat, grilled oysters.....Cafe Du Monde for the coffee and beignets.
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
      We did the same deal last year.
      Was a great cruise.

Drago's is a great place to eat, grilled oysters.....Cafe Du Monde for the coffee and beignets.
      Wife already told me Cafe Du Monde is #1 .....we had real Cajun beignets in Frisco,Colorado(The Lost Cajun)...they told her Cafe Du Monde also...LOL
      I'll look into Drago's...thanks

Comment

Strongly recommend a trip or two on the streetcar, especially down into the Garden District. You'll want to hit Bourbon St. once....and you'll probably find that it's not a place to spend a lot of time......I've found in NOLA that the quieter parts of the Quarter often have the most enjoyable atmosphere. Street entertainment can be great, or not so great. There is an aquarium on the river at the end of Canal St. Food is fabulous......you should have some bread pudding, a shrimp po-boy, and some crawfish etouffee somewhere. Red beans and rice is a staple. Ask the locals for the best places, don't go with the obvious 'touristy' places. Most importantly....pay attention to your surroundings. NOLA can be as rough as anywhere. Have fun, more than likely you'll go back.
        Last edited by oletrux4evr; November 24, 2013, 07:35 PM.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

should of sailed out of Galveston
          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
            should of sailed out of Galveston
            Wick....wasn't an option...this was a gift from Caesar's Entertainment Las Vegas.... :-))))))))) ......A thank you for going broke with us......LOL

Comment

We'll be there (me and my bros and some family & friends - ME can't go) over Christmas. One of the highlights for me is a trip to Villa Lobos - the pit bull rescue seen on "Pit Bulls and Parolees" on Animal Planet. They do amazing things. The pits are busy saving men - and they're good at it. Inspirational. The facility is in the Lower Ninth Ward IIRC. If you Google Villa Lobos you can get the address, hours, etc. I plan to leave a check and suggest that you do the same if you can - Tia and the crew do amazing work.

My oldest bro Dave is making most of the arrangements. He's spent quite a bit of time there in years past but not since Katrina so we're hoping that the town's spirit is intact. I'll be watching this thread to see what others say we should catch. Cafe DuMonde is on the list as are a couple of local eateries that Dave knows.

Dan

Comment

Since you're staying in the French Quarter - there's no need for a ride. Everything's within walking distance. You'll be able to find plenty to do for a couple of days. IMO... best food in the country is in NOLA. Good music to boot. Word of caution... pace yourself if you indulge in any Hurricanes.
                Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Pat O'Briens Hurricanes are TOP of my list for a RUMAHOLIC like myself......

Comment

Besides Villa Lobos is there anything in NOLA for non-drinkers?

Dan

Comment

Tons of stuff!! As I mentioned before, take the streetcar down into the Garden district.......the WW II Museum is just west of downtown, don't pass that up! Nice aquarium on the river at the end of Canal St.; and for your late night enjoyment, take a Cemetary tour......
                      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I'm gonna sit down on Bourbon St and watch the fights....Bayou Classic is played this weekend... Grambling Vs Southern.... can be a tough crowd....

Comment

Originally posted by Chassisman View Post
                          I'm flying out Thanksgiving Day headed to The Big Easy....gonna catch a cruise ship to Carribean...I'll be staying in the dirty ole French Quarter at the Omni Royal Orleans .....so...what should I see or do from Thursday til the boat on Sunday? No car...just public transportation or feet....

Thanks
                          I live there but working out of town for another week. All the suggestions mentioned are good. DO NOT STRAY away from Canal Street or French Qtr at night. Be sure and take the street car ride thru the Garden District, well worth the time. Also visit St Louis Cathedral, it's the heart of the French Qtr. The WW ll museum is also something that you should see. Just take in all the sights, sounds and taste of our area....no other place like it. Wish I was home would have loved to show you guys around.
                          Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                          The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

We'll for sure see the WWII Museum. The Three Brothers (me, Dick, and Dave) have a particular interest in the Higgins boat (it's a PT) that's being restored there. The rest of the museum is supposed to be excellent as well.

The "no booze" deal will be interesting, especially for one of my SIL's. In the past she has liked a stiff drink from time to time but new medical restrictions have altered that intake. She's going to be tempted. Been so long for me that I can't imagine what I saw in it.

Thanks for the tips!

Dan

Comment

Violent town

Comment

Working...
                              X