Auto Transportation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1badmonkey View Post
    no, you cant back up a car on a dolly, to many pivot points....
    the car dolly I've used the ball was the only pivot point. I'll have to look at the u haul ones

Comment

alternator, hei power / kill, starter, maybe a fuel pump?

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

somebody is smoking awfully early. Backing a car on a dolly is like backing up a hook and ladder truck without somebody steering in the back, and you can't lock the column or it starts trying to scrub. Nothing good comes from it.

I would consider yanking all the extraneous 8 track CB driving light whatever shit is on it and get it back to the factory fuse block and wiring with help from the manual? Why was it all on one fuse?

edit - since so many times my posts don't read the way I mean them to... it will be to your advantage to have the car running and driveable before leaving. The 500.00 you spend on a transport or the several hundred renting a trailer will maybe get you a car that isn't a drain on you in your next location. If it doesn't run, it's gonna be a monkey on your back until it does. You will probably feel better if it isn't constantly bugging the shit out of you and getting tickets for being non-op... much less, you can drive it.

Busted cars are fine for folks with plenty of storage space and other working cars, but I can say from experience that a busted car sitting in your face when you have a million other things that have to be done is a real downer. If I had it to do over again, I would have paid somebody many years ago when I fragged my first turd car. I didn't learn anything from it that I couldn't have learned later at a more convenient time and it caused no end of fights with the city, landlord, ex-wife...

when you're 16 and the car can be down for a day or two while you figure out that you put the throwout bearing in backwards when replacing the clutch, all that happens is you have to take the bus and listen to mom and dad bitch about the lump in the garage. When you have a job you can't get to easily because the car is busted, and you don't have time to go through it, you'll be money and heartache ahead even if you have to pay to get it fixed. The trick is finding a mechanic that won't stick it in your tailpipe - we all know that. I thought I had read that you guys had a decent mechanic that worked on the Eagle?
        Last edited by Beagle; December 4, 2013, 06:19 AM.

Comment

I dolly'd with front wheels on ground. not on the unit.. as the monte SS rwd and didn't have tools to unhook driveshaft..
          can't see how it be different with the rears on the road and wheel locked.. the rear doesn't have a spool in it.
          Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; December 4, 2013, 06:52 AM.

Comment

bet it scrubbed the living crap out of the tires and tried to drag it off the dolly any time you made any kind of turn. Bet pulling it was really fun too with the cargo trying to steer the truck for you... but you go on with your bad self. I wouldn't do it.... but then again, I'd pay extra to have mine put on a rollback. Come to think of it, knowing what I know now, I'd probably pay extra and just have it run so I could just drive it where I was going.
            Last edited by Beagle; December 4, 2013, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
              bet it scrubbed the living crap out of the tires and tried to drag it off the dolly any time you made any kind of turn. Bet pulling it was really fun too with the cargo trying to steer the truck for you... but you go on with your bad self. I wouldn't do it.... but then again, I'd pay extra to have mine put on a rollback. Come to think of it, knowing what I know now, I'd probably pay extra and just have it run so I could just drive it where I was going.
              all true, but hard to drive 2 vehicles home from maine , and at the time no one had a uhaul trailer avail up there.. so I did what I had to.. I doubt the 84 f-350 intertrashional 460 oil burner even noticed it back there..
              the fiero, will be nose first and it'll be running so I can stop every 10 miles and run fluid through the trans.. incase they are wrong about it being dead.. as it shifts into all gears but is about 4 qts overfull

Comment

Working...
              X