Auto Transportation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Transportation

Well, I graduate on the 13th, and have to depart for NY on the 20th, and since my parents are traveling with a rental truck to obtain some stuff from my late grandfather's house, they thought that they could tow the AMX up to NJ for me (since she still isn't running, *&^*& wiring). This is really making them frustrated, and I'm thinking the easier thing to do will be to arrange for professional transport, but I have no clue what the cost will be on something like that, from Charleston, SC, to Pennsville, NJ.
    Would it still be easier to rent a car dolly or trailer and let my parents haul her back up, or worth it to pay a company to do so?
    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

I'd PM David (Rack4U on here). He used to do that for a living and probably has a better handle on that than anyone else I know. Tell him I sent you and he'll charge you double!

Dan

Comment

car dolly, you'll have to pull the drive shaft..
      u haul car trailor is like 100.00 less if they are renting the truck also..
      Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; November 30, 2013, 03:43 PM.

Comment

It's a four speed, no need to pull the drive shaft. Penske has dolleys and trailers to move cars with your stuff, like I did. But, if you have to move the Eagle as well, you might as well see about professional transport.

Does the military still help pay for moves?
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
          It's a four speed, no need to pull the drive shaft. Penske has dolleys and trailers to move cars with your stuff, like I did. But, if you have to move the Eagle as well, you might as well see about professional transport.

Does the military still help pay for moves?
          didn't know it was a man pedal..
          kyle, might be cheaper, to let a shop get it running and then drive it.. but if your parents are renting a truck the trailor is a no brainer.. to rent from uhaul.. to go get my fiero parts car(or 2nd one depending on if it's just the trans) will be 39 for the car dolley and 59 for the trailer, ofcourse it's a little more when you are not returning it to same uhaul.. but the difference to get the trailor isn't big enough not to.. unless it gets much bigger when not bringing it back to the same uhaul.. you might get a discount as you're mil. might want to look into that with uhaul or Penske.
          KYle, maybe post to see if there is someone on here close to where the car is at, that can help you get it running, if a better option is driving it.. but the trailor rental will be less than the gas you'd burn.. so, I'd trailer it.. if you where closer I'd help you trouble shoot the electrical.. you'll be in n.y. maybe spidy is close to where you'll be.. can't hurt to ask..

Comment

This is going to sound funny, but if your parents aren't real experienced or comfortable with pulling a trailer, make sure you get them the trailer and not the dolly.

You can't back up with the dolly at all, and you can't hardly see the car back there so it may make them more nervous. Rent them the trailer and call it a day, or have it shipped.

It's not a long drive, so if they take their time it should be all good.

With that said I'm guessing that transporting the car will cost $500-600.
            "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

I've gotten a few estimates at about $400-500.
              However, my friend wants to take a look at the wiring this weekend and see if we can figure it out, maybe I'll be able to drive her home, and my dad can drive the Eagle back

Comment

Wtf.....get it running

Comment

Originally posted by BangShiftChad View Post
                  This is going to sound funny, but if your parents aren't real experienced or comfortable with pulling a trailer, make sure you get them the trailer and not the dolly.

You can't back up with the dolly at all, and you can't hardly see the car back there so it may make them more nervous. Rent them the trailer and call it a day, or have it shipped.

Good advice right here.
                  The Green Machine.
                  http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by BigAL View Post
                    Good advice right here.
                    Well, my dad has his CDL and drove local for a trucking company for a while, and for a long time we would travel with a pop up camper at least once a year, it's not the skill, it's just the renting equipment that's annoying.
                    BTW, I'd like to punch whichever owner thought it would be a good idea to wire all accessories, including the fuel pump, through the turn signal fuse, then put a fuse 15A over what it was rated at so it wouldn't blow

Comment

Originally posted by BangShiftChad View Post

can't back up with a car dolley, that's a new one on me..

Comment

400 is probably about the low side for the transport, it will be more if you mention it doesn't run. How many wires do you really need in a carbureted manual transmission car?
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I dunno, not that many, but she's eaten 3 alternators already. I figure it's a cracked insulation on a wire getting close to something and arcing enough. But then again, I don't know much about electricity

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                            can't back up with a car dolley, that's a new one on me..
                            no, you cant back up a car on a dolly, to many pivot points....
                            Charles

Comment

U-haul's car dollys pivot like a cracked-out ballerina. I'd get it running, but if not, trailer. The AMX should be light enough. It's why I'm driving the Imperial cross-country...apparently it is over the limit. Considerably.
                              Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Working...
                              X