Anybody Watch "Christmas In Conway"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody Watch "Christmas In Conway"?

It was on ABC tonight - Hallmark Hall of Fame. The reason I ask is that it was entirely filmed in Wilmington. I watched to see if I could pick out locations and it turns out that I could determine pretty much everywhere they filmed.

EUE/Screen Gems Studio is here so we have lots of stuff shot here but they usually hide the locations so you can't really tell where they filmed. Not this one. If y'all get a chance to see it you can get a travelogue of our town.

I imagine the interiors were shot on a sound stage but most of the exteriors were filmed in a friend's neighborhood. I'll take a drive thru there and see if I can pick out the houses they used.

Dan

You were 20 miles from the house in "Sometime A Great Notion" ... that had Paul Newman and Henry Fonda..
    And you probably drove right by the union office and the cafe (Doghouse) on the main road to the bridge in town, Newport..
    Last edited by Deaf Bob; December 1, 2013, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Yep. Mrs. Outsider requested it. Even had to watch "movie style" so I couldn't read any car magazines during the slow parts . . . .

Curious how so many chicks like these contrived, predictable tear-jerkers.

Don't worry about missing it, however. It will run about 500x on the Hallmark Channel. Just don't fall into one of the zillion plot holes or irrelevant scenes, though . . . .

And I couldn't even flip over to "Duck Dynasty" unabated during the extended now-made-in-China Hallmark card commercials . . . .I just about got b!t$h slapped for quipping "Why doesn't he just buy her a card?" I thought that was the whole point of "Hallmark Hall of Fame" telecasts . . . .

Unless "Conway" is a lot different than most municipalities, perpetual grouch DUNCAN MAYOR could have filed appeals for long enough to get DYING WIFE a ride on the backyard ferris wheel.

But it is handy to know that one could blow up an obnoxious next-door neighbor's sprinkler system merely by turning up the main valve . . . .

Was that really Cheri Oteri as the stereotypical meanie neighbor? If so, she's really aged.

I can't think Buick really enjoyed the product placement of their bloated CUV in the chubby paws of what passed for a villain in this pile o' glurge.

Who won the Christmas decorating contest?

Comment

DVR'ed it so I could watch Walking Dead. My wife wants to see it since we visited Conway( I grew up nearby). I'm disappointed none of it is filmed there. Oh well.

Comment

As mentioned, we have a MAJOR film industry here. HUGE sound stages, one of the biggest water tanks in the USA - all in all a big operation. NC has been providing incentives to film in the state and so far it's keeping the studio busy. The state legislature keeps talking about not renewing the incentives but then the producers will take their business elsewhere and that would really hurt Wilmington.

So that's why it was shot here.

We knew it was coming as there were regular announcements on the TV News - "Country Club will be closed between XXX and YYY from 7:00 AM until 10:00 PM for filming....." We hear a lot of those.

Dan

Comment

I watched it, been to Myrtle Beach many times, been thru Conway much also,didn't seem like Conway. NC has been big on the film industry for some time, Mooresviile ,Statesville and other Charlotte burbs has had many movies filmed. Shallow Hal, '3' ,bastard out of Carolina, Ryan white story, days of thunder, just to name a few. It's neat to see places you know on the big screen. Since moving from Iredell County and landing in east tn , no one comes to New Tazewell.

Comment

They don't want to get well Tazed!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                They don't want to get well Tazed!

Dan
                that's funny,

Comment

here is a lead to the wrap up in Wilmington

Comment

Originally posted by realsteelfreak View Post
                    I watched it, been to Myrtle Beach many times, been thru Conway much also,didn't seem like Conway. NC has been big on the film industry for some time, Mooresviile ,Statesville and other Charlotte burbs has had many movies filmed. Shallow Hal, '3' ,bastard out of Carolina, Ryan white story, days of thunder, just to name a few. It's neat to see places you know on the big screen. Since moving from Iredell County and landing in east tn , no one comes to New Tazewell.
                    I have been to Tazewell Speedway. Badass racetrack! My wife's first cousin was/is a pharmacist at Wal-Mart too. Had no idea about that until sometime after we got home though. It sure is pretty over there!

We've been through Conway on our way back from Myrtle Beach too. I first heard of the town on one of those mystery shows that came on A&E a few years back. It was a very intriguing story about a young lady who had been killed by a friend of hers about 20 years or so ago.

We've never been to Wilmington,but boy we love N.C. and especially the Outer Banks. We went there 3 years in a row,but we've gone to Florida the last 3 years. The OBX is amazing,but Florida is half the distance. We loved the OBX so much that it was hard to come home. I drove the whole 1200 miles in one day also. If we go back I will split the trip home up into a smaller distance.
                    sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

Originally posted by Karberator View Post

We've never been to Wilmington,but boy we love N.C. and especially the Outer Banks. We went there 3 years in a row,but we've gone to Florida the last 3 years. The OBX is amazing,but Florida is half the distance. We loved the OBX so much that it was hard to come home. I drove the whole 1200 miles in one day also. If we go back I will split the trip home up into a smaller distance.
                      OBX is nice but sort of desolate for my taste. Myrtle Beach is WAY too commercial for my taste. Wilmington is JUST RIGHT! (Sounds like Goldilocks). We get the beautiful beaches and weather of MYB without the miniature golf courses and 10,000 beach junk stores. Besides, you know someone in Wilmington! We'd love to have you and will happily put you up as long as you're non-smokers (ME is horribly allergic). We'll even get the World's Best Burger at PT's if you come this way.

Dan

Comment

I see that every time I see what little is still being filmed in Los Angeles. I have fun watching the old TV shows and movies seeing what I recognize. Sometimes, I don't pay attention to the story at all.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                          I see that every time I see what little is still being filmed in Los Angeles. I have fun watching the old TV shows and movies seeing what I recognize. Sometimes, I don't pay attention to the story at all.
                          Like me watching "Leverage" Filmed in Portland, where I've been with Dad in the truck.. And bridges

Comment

yes almost every year, Conway n.h. puts up a nice x-mas decore on the main streets, and the outlets are there.. oh that's not what you ment.. oops, sorry..

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                              OBX is nice but sort of desolate for my taste. Myrtle Beach is WAY too commercial for my taste. Wilmington is JUST RIGHT! (Sounds like Goldilocks). We get the beautiful beaches and weather of MYB without the miniature golf courses and 10,000 beach junk stores. Besides, you know someone in Wilmington! We'd love to have you and will happily put you up as long as you're non-smokers (ME is horribly allergic). We'll even get the World's Best Burger at PT's if you come this way.

Dan
                              The OBX definitely has an edge-of-the-Earth feel! Especially when you get away from Kill Devil/Kitty Hawk/Nags Head. I understand up around Atlantic there's still folks who still sound almost like Englishmen. A fascinating place for sure.

My wife and I hated MB. Now, the cruising scene down around the Bowery and Peaches was pretty fun although the crowd got a little iffy towards the end of the week. I won't be guilty of going back there. To cap the week off,our motel room was broken into. Thankfully they didn't steal anything,but wow. The whole vacation that year pretty much sucked. It was the only time I've ever been ready to come back home. Everywhere else we've been in S.C. has been great though.

Maybe we will come back to NC sometime!
                              sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

Working...
                              X