They keep following me home!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They keep following me home!

the latest....80 chevy 3/4 ton pickup, not many options, it had the 350, 4 speed, front and rear sway bars, power steering, and a little bit of trim on the sides. No dome light. Rubber floor mat. Add on AC in side the dash, but the compressor (and bracket) is missing.

It had a cracked block, I dropped an old 305 in it, and now it drives again. Click image for larger version

Name:	truck06.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	880817

I put a few pics on my web page:

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

I can see that you won't be towing with the suburban to DW this year.
    Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Actually....I plan to tow with the Suburban. But I have that Avion camper, and it doesn't really fit the 57 truck because the cab is so tall.
      My fabulous web page

Comment

If you wanna cavmper that... Dualie it too...
        Really makes it stable on the plains..with wind
        Flatbed rears are narrower than pickup rears.. Not sure if it will take up camper floor space..
        I'd measure mine if it wasn't raining so hard!

Comment

Cool beans. I just bought a 2001 S15 Jimmy because of not wanting to do an engine swap . Now if it were warmer and I didn't have to work with the back end hanging out with this cold weather........Cool thing is the wife likes it better than her 1997 all wheeel drive bravada.I do think I'll small block it this summer. Should be a blast. And I second the Cab and chassis narrower dually rear. Of course that's a slippery slope, then you'll want one ton front spindles ( and what ever goes with it ) to make it look right and only need one spare. Any was nice solid old truck. Is this where us rust belters start whining about how good you south westerners have it?
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

duallies and slide in campers don't go together well, it's kind of hard to put the jacks on the camper so they'll clear the wheels.

it's a solid old truck, there might be some rust in the cab a the bottom of the pass side kick panel, but I haven't dug out the dirt yet to see. It has original paint still, the hood has a lot of peeling and slight surface rust, but the rest is pretty nice. Has a few little dings and dents all around, but nothing serious.
            My fabulous web page

Comment

Around here they had rust from the factory it seemed like.

Comment

They sure do come your way, Jim. Nice project.

Dan

Comment

I always liked that body style with the '73-75 round headlight grille setup. It's the kind of truck I am looking for hauling crap and maybe towing a car home. Another great, low dollar project you have.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                    duallies and slide in campers don't go together well, it's kind of hard to put the jacks on the camper so they'll clear the wheels.

it's a solid old truck, there might be some rust in the cab a the bottom of the pass side kick panel, but I haven't dug out the dirt yet to see. It has original paint still, the hood has a lot of peeling and slight surface rust, but the rest is pretty nice. Has a few little dings and dents all around, but nothing serious.
                    Which is why I say flatbed rear... I believe they fit inside your box outer fenders, but may stick inwards too far..
                    Outside tires and fronts are on same track..
                    Pickups with fenders, inner tire tracks the front..
                    Last edited by Deaf Bob; December 2, 2013, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Nice, I like the positive rake. I drove a heav half ton for some time, does better with a flat cap at the height of cab. The positive rake and the open tail end...yikes.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

nice find, jim!!!

I gotta get out there and see what I can find,...
                        Local person
                        sigpic

Comment

Awesome find, it sounds like our old farm truck, I just hope you get better mileage than our '75.

Funny story--when I was driving that to work, I had to fill up literally every day. One afternoon as I'm gassing up, a friend pulls up behind me in his new Freightliner, with a 40' tanker of crude oil on behind. We start comparing mileage, and apparently he's getting 50% farther on a gallon than me--and that's loaded!

Comment

It should do ok on gas, assuming I get the carb straightened out. The choke pulloff seems to be not working, but they are still available. It has 3.21 rearend gears (!) kind of rare in a 3/4 ton with a 14 bolt. And it has two 20 gallon tanks....that's a lot of money you can put into it at a gas station.
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

Wow!..3:21 is rare for 14 bolts..
                              Even the auto's were 373's..
                              Might have something between the 2, (auto trucks?) but I've never seen anything but 3:73's, 4:11's and 4:56's. Habe heard of a 5;38 or so but never saw one personally.. Might be installed by a po?

Comment

Working...
                              X