Question about wheel inertia and performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about wheel inertia and performance

Hello all from BangShift my name is Jason Howard and I am a senior undergrad studying physics. In my spare time I enjoy studying the physics of various sports. One topic that interests me greatly is wheel inertia , angular momentum , and how they effect vehicular sports. Aside from differences in acceleration capabilities I was wondering if anyone had any insight in how wheel inertia effects the handling capabilities in high performance motor racing. I appreciate any information that is available.

Angular momentum is less of a factor. However, like all rotating parts, they need to be brought up to speed both rotationally and with the regular car's movement, meaning they have a disproportionate effect on acceleration.

The other big factor is unsprung weight. The more unsprung weight, the more force the spring has to apply to stop the upward motion of the wheel over a bump, making for a harsher ride and worse handling.

Comment

tire rating (tread harness), tire pressure, machine line for bearings (backspace correct or not), camber, caster, FWD,AWD,RWD..

and sidewall weight. Tread design, wheel weight, tire weight, car weight, steel , or alloys...

what is the electrical system of vehicle?
      turbo or n/a?
      the wheels are like belly buttons, they are an innie or outtie to more than appearance, there is also physics...

diesel or gasoline? (hp bigger than the torque?)

after all that , you'll find it is proportionately, typically the same for everything (manufacture goals to be a world standard).

the mystery of these two machines 14 liters apart? They both take off in the same acceleration curve.

the subaru on the left, it is why I dug into the same subject. I found it peculiar the brakes got bigger to a bigger tire. shattered alot of illusions. 13x5 inch factory stepping up to the french peugeot 15x6 inch on the same car. Every subject does better in relation. All while, just a 15 inch yokohama tire is the weight of the old 13inch rim and tire together.

The other oddities with this same car..
      all metal relays. They bleed the second one starts the car, key to run. I gained power and did not know why for several years, after putting on 200 something pounds of wheels and tires... why? They heatsink the bleeding relays, allowing an electrical timing curve for the engine. The last error is just getting conquered this week ,( going to all normal relays).

the front bearings? those are non-tapered giants (rare like vanagon 4x4) in relation to the weight of the tin can unibody. the 9 inch wide tread keeps them flat to whatever one adjusts around them...the original car wheel was lucky to see 4.5 inches of tire on the pavement. Car was a nut to drive for years..oem wheels had to go.

funny world of cars and trucks. This subaru is about as bizarre as I have ever deciphered.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 4, 2013, 09:47 AM.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
      X