The Art of Racing (No, Just Driving Fast) In the Rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Art of Racing (No, Just Driving Fast) In the Rain

It's finally here. Road Atlanta. Here we go. I'm so pumped, well, I've been waiting for this Track Day (two-day weekend event) for quite a while. The straightaway long enough to land a drug smuggling airplane on, so legend has it.

The esses. And the downhill approach into the right-hand curve to the start/finish line where if you mess up, you'll hit the concrete wall on both sides of the track, no saving it.

I made a joke about it a while back when ChevyManiac posted the video of a real race car turning hot laps at Road Atlanta in the rain....

Well, it's gonna rain, buckets probably. I'm not sure I'll be on here causing trouble tomorrow night, getting packed up to go.

I'll play around with my "new" outdated tablet puter when I'm camped down there. I'm sure everybody here is just DYING to know how it goes. Or not, I'll force it on y'all. VROOM!
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Just keep it shiny side up and have fun! Can't wait to hear how it goes.
    Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Originally posted by SSChevyManiac View Post
      Just keep it shiny side up and have fun! Can't wait to hear how it goes.
      Thanks for your help Dustin, you know what I'm talking about. I'm as ready as can be at this rookie stage. More ready thanks to you Sir.

Comment

I hate fast turns on wet pavement. When I was a kid I went to florida with a friend and his dad . On the way home it rained. hydroplaned and slipped of the road......and ran over a rock big enough to put your name on down at the end of your driveway......and hit a mountain. Seriously people have been trying to kill me in car since I was 8.
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
          I hate fast turns on wet pavement. When I was a kid I went to florida with a friend and his dad . On the way home it rained. hydroplaned and slipped of the road......and ran over a rock big enough to put your name on down at the end of your driveway......and hit a mountain. Seriously people have been trying to kill me in car since I was 8.
          I've already said, I want to get the instructor out of the car this weekend. Not that I know enough yet, but I just don't want to hurt him. I AM going fast enough to hurt somebody. That little gap between false confidence and actual ability.

Comment

Never mind. Post deleted in my own best interest.
            Last edited by pdub; December 5, 2013, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
              Never mind. Post deleted in my own best interest.
              Packed and ready to motorviate?

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                Packed and ready to motorviate?
                Yep.

Comment

Yep.
                  Too excited to sleep, I bet!
                  That was hard my first derbies.. Sleeping the night before.. Have nodded off at the arena.. Then felt blitzed afterwards..

Comment

That was hard my first derbies.. Sleeping the night before.. Have nodded off at the arena.. Then felt blitzed afterwards..
                    It's not my very first rodeo. I don't have any trouble sleeping when it's time to sleep. This one.... Fast track, damn fast. REAL damn fast. Can I sleep? Yeah, until I put in gear to go.

Comment

It's not my very first rodeo. I don't have any trouble sleeping when it's time to sleep. This one.... Fast track, damn fast. REAL damn fast. Can I sleep? Yeah, until I put in gear to go.
                      Never really could sleep the night before.. Easier now but derby day none of us eat.. See some have big breakfasts, lunches then go derby... .

Comment

Ya know Bob, there was a guy at Barber....he was 69 years old. He raised the kids and did all of that and decided it was time for him to have fun of his own. Black Corvette. Years beyond what you could call a "Midlife Crisis."

He was so anxious he really didn't sleep the night before the Track Event. Said so, he didn't sleep. And he was so slow, I passed him twice in 20 minutes on the track. But he was having fun. I think that's all that counts.

Comment

Pdub, derbies at the drop of the flag are very fast paced for the driver.. Not so much for the fans..
                          You are swiveling like crazy, you can get dizzy from just swiveling your head.. ALL the top dogs are sweat soaked at checkered flag.. The saying, " You snooze, you lose". Well, "Sitting ducks die..." is more apt in a derby, especially if you are a top dog or a contender.. Everybody wants to be the one that took the top dog out.. Just like " Ballad of the Well Known Gun"

Comment

Pdub, derbies at the drop of the flag are very fast paced for the driver.. Not so much for the fans..
                            You are swiveling like crazy, you can get dizzy from just swiveling your head.. ALL the top dogs are sweat soaked at checkered flag.. The saying, " You snooze, you lose". Well, "Sitting ducks die..." is more apt in a derby, especially if you are a top dog or a contender.. Everybody wants to be the one that took the top dog out.. Just like " Ballad of the Well Known Gun"
                            Another post deleted by myself in my best interest.
                            Last edited by pdub; December 5, 2013, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Another post deleted by myself in my best interest.
                              Whyyyy? I need a laff!

Comment

Working...
                              X