No announcement yet.

Lohnes, REMOVE That Video!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hot rodding and the automotive hobby in general is all about personal taste.. if you don't like what is happening, buy enough acres and earn enough money to buy every dilapidated grain truck in existence... just don't judge...
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

The Outsider, your point is well taken, it does sound like a very inconserate thing for me to do. Not only sounds like it, itis. When I was 16 I was not a nice kid, I'm a little better now and probably wouldn't do the things I did. I have nothing againest restorers and the comment about them actting like old restorers was to illustrate the folly of getting upset about one man s actions, I'll elaborate on that a bit. Not only did the old guy act like I had commited a sin but he was abusive towards me. Doesn't excuse my behavior however, No old car is sacred nor is it sinfull to do whatever you like with your property. Persons in question need to grow up and stop attacking other for their ideas and beliefs as long as no other person is harmed in any way. The fact that you don't know conveying a threat in unlawful doesn't make it any less unlawful. You can't threaten and it is illeagel to do so on the i-net or any other medium. Oddly threatening people is hard to prove, no so much when you use the i-net, there's a record. As far as degrading on part of our hobby ie restorers none of us should engage in slinging mud. We 9all car guys) are a small group compared to the population of the US. A large group of folks would love to see all of our cars crushed. I'm not the mini-van type. We all need to stick together.
      Last edited by GFogg; December 11, 2013, 06:11 PM. Reason: additional comments

Comment

Oh brother...
        Ophra much?

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
          hot rodding and the automotive hobby in general is all about personal taste.. if you don't like what is happening, buy enough acres and earn enough money to buy every dilapidated grain truck in existence... just don't judge...
          What nonsense.

Comment

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

did you whine this much as thousands of cars where back halved,
              you must have chest pains if you went to a local dirt track

Comment

I really do not have a moral responsibility to save any old grain trucks, nor the desire to buy them all. I can make the judgement to disapprove of the promotion of mindlessly destroying these classic trucks and barking about how cool it is.

Comment

I ALWAYS tell the folks I am buying cars to be derbied from that I will restore it... The sellers are weird, they rather their car they NO LONGER WANT or STRIPPED EVERYTHING useable off of it, go to the scrap yard..
                  We have had a couple who wanted to know when the derby was and went and watched.. Watching them pose with the car they sold us was "heartwarming" in the arena afterwards..
                  One lady wanted me to take a car from her so bad, she re-tagged it and filled the tank...She knows the fate of the car..

The way I see it is if your car is for sale, and we have a deal, I buy it then the seller no longer has a say in what I do with it..
                  At the scrap yard I used to work at, people would bring in their "baby" a nig Olds, Mopar, Impala, whatever..they would beg us to save it.. The manager after paying those people would get in, do a couple laps of the scrap pile, then just plow it into the mash pile(tin pile) ..he alwys told me when he did that, so I could get him out with the loader if he was stuck.. The look on those people's faces are priceless!

If you don't like whatI do with cars, outbid me.. Simple fact..
                  One derby guy bought a rather cherry 72 Imala 4 door from a tow auction.. Barely over 100,000 miles, 400/350.. For $100!
                  I would have driven that on the road.. His car, he did what he wanted with it....

Comment

Seems some folks like to control what others may do with their cars..
                    Last edited by Deaf Bob; December 11, 2013, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                      Seems some folks like to control what others may do with their cars..
                      You can do whatever you want with your car, it's your business.
                      Last edited by dulcich; December 11, 2013, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dulcich View Post
                        You can do whatever you want with your car, it's your business.
                        speaking of doing whatever you want with your property, don't you owe us some truck updates?

What I meant so say here is I feel awfully ENTITLED to some updates dammit!
                        Last edited by Beagle; December 12, 2013, 06:02 AM.
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                          did you whine this much as thousands of cars where back halved,
                          you must have chest pains if you went to a local dirt track
                          I crunched the front end of a 74 Vega pretty hard in the early 80's and learned a lot removing every detachable thing from it. The rear quarters were good , but it hit hard enough to pop the windshield out of it, bent A pillars. At the end of the project, a guy in a Chambers Plumbing (old family business in Richardson) beat on my door and offered me 20.00 for the mangled shell. I asked him what he was gonna do with it, he said dirt track it. I was thrilled to know it's days were not done. He came back with a trailer about 20 minutes later, and 4 of us threw it on the trailer. I would never have tried to repair that car but it's new life on the track made me happy, even if it got beaten to a pulp in the "rubbing is racing" circuit.

I don't know the history on these trucks but it still didn't keep me from being sad about what seemed to be pretty nice metal getting torn to hell - as the goal. Whatever... I won't watch it twice. That's my prerogative.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by dulcich View Post
                            As far as I'm concerned a guy can do whatever he wants with his property.
                            To me derbying these trucks is idiotic and wastefull. Personally, I feel the same way about derbying in general, guys who build 4x4s to rock bash them to wreckage as soon as they are done, idiot clown jalopy racing, and the list goes on. However if that is what you want to do that's your deal. I'm just not going to join in the back-slapping, whooping, high fives and hyena laughing that is expected these days. I'm more inclined to a sincere FU.
                            -dulcich

Promoting the intentional destruction of old these old trucks as "hilarious entertainment" seems counterproductive.
                            My continuing complete agreement with Dulcich is starting to scare me . . . I may wake up in the morning craving a Max Wedge or something . . . .

Comment

Sorry, but I've been in this sport long enough to know public opinion, fashion (which is another manifestation of popularity), "opinion leaders" and even peer pressure play a significant role in shaping "hot rodding and the automotive hobby."

The grain truck smash-up was abysmally stupid . . . as was Bangshift's giggling shilling for it on the main page.

Most certainly many antiques fall into the hands of morons . . . and likely for every one who creates something groundbreakingly artistic with cast-off and neglected parts, there are 100 ham-fisted dorks who slap together derivative, aesthetically hideous "abortions-on-wheels."

Do we just sit by and ignore "shot-rodding" and poor design? Do we look the other way when safety is at issue? Do we withhold counsel when someone is plainly ignorant of the historical significance of a rare and desirable vehicle? Absolutely not. We have a responsibility to the larger community and to future generations to at least try to talk people out of pure idiocy and wanton destruction. That's not "judgment." And even if in the minds of some mopes it is, some of us will never refrain from exercising our [Censored]-given right to express our opinions in the public square.

Requesting that people who are entrusted with antiques treat them with responsibility and respect is hardly judgmental.

But more fundamentally the antique grain truck smash-up isn't hot rodding. Hot rodding fundamentally is about building something that's better, not about wanton destruction. The thing about rodding is that most generally a poorly-done rod on a make and model that is plentiful (not nearly extinct as are the medium-duty Dodge trucks) can often be corrected or even restored in some cases . . . or if not, it may not really have much effect on future supplies of "tin."

But destroying stuff just for "kicks" fundamentally alters future supplies of parts and vehicles. And when they're gone, they're gone for good.

I realize the Visigoths and the Vandals ultimately won . . . Thus, Dulcich and I are on the losing side of this argument. History, more often than not, is obliterated by the ignorant, the selfish, and the short-sighted.

We live in a fallen world of entropy. In the history of man, knowledge, thoughtfulness and values motivating preservation and conservation most often lose because they are not the "easy" nor expedient way. Our only hope is to slow the destruction and persuade some to reject this idiocy and do what they can to stop the slouching race toward the bottom.

(And we can hopefully stash away enough parts for ourselves and to make an obscene profit after the morons pointlessly winnow down the supplies of spares and "core" vehicles)
                              Last edited by 38P; December 12, 2013, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                                I ALWAYS tell the folks I am buying cars to be derbied from that I will restore it... ....
                                We obviously disagree on the value of derbies, and neither of us is going to move from our opposing positions. But I've got to draw the line at rank fraud in the acquisition of the "victims." That's just wrong under virtually any objective system of ethics one may hold to.

I further have to admit that some of the biggest, most ignorant, and selfish D-bags I've ever met in life operate automotive salvages. (There are some responsible operators who go out of their way to help future rodders and restorers, but they are by far the extreme minority of the profession) Thus, your story about the idiot manager is hardly shocking. I could probably tell fifty stories of stupid, inconsiderate, and rude things I've seen people do with cars in this sport. That doesn't make it right. Or something that should be encouraged.

Most certainly people are going to do what they want, but they should not expect to be insulated from criticism and disapprobation when they chose poorly.

Comment

Working...
                                X