• air brakes are not the same as air over hydraulic brakes
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      air brakes are not the same as air over hydraulic brakes
      so like hydra boost only using air instead

Comment

• Yes. The brake shoes are activated by juice (two systems to fail!). The air system was merely to multiply the leg force of the 98-pound draftees behind the wheel (most of which had probably learned to drive back on the farm with mechanical brakes on vehicles a fraction of the size of an M211). Pentagon-level complexity to be sure.

Comment

• Pure air braking systems, if have no air, it stops.. Thus the skidmarks you see on the road going to the shoulder.. Leak most likely...
          Air over hydraulic is just that..air helping instead of vaccum.. They are hard to stop, be it vacuum or air.. Same with hydroost in my flatbed.. No motor running, hard to stop AND steer..

Comment

That's the only old truck I've seen working around here.
            In wheat country, the old trucks often roll out at harvest time . . . and seem to sit the rest of the year.

Many, if not most, wheat growers don't have their own combines (which are outrageously expensive now), so traveling bands of "custom cutters" harvest the wheat, moving from south to north as the wheat matures. There's not much time to do the job and some big operations run day and night.

It speeds things up (saves money) if you've got a fleet of grain trucks to haul the wheat to the elevators where it's typically stored until initial sale or transfer via rail to other locales. So sometimes you'll see 40-50 year old trucks hauling. Perhaps not a lot, but you'll still see them in wheat country.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
              Pure air braking systems, if have no air, it stops.. Thus the skidmarks you see on the road going to the shoulder.. Leak most likely...
              Air over hydraulic is just that..air helping instead of vaccum.. They are hard to stop, be it vacuum or air.. Same with hydroost in my flatbed.. No motor running, hard to stop AND steer..
              Bob, that M211 basically has ZERO brakes if you've not built up enough air pressure in the tank. The pedal just went to the floor because air is apparently what pushes the remote master cylinder (best I can tell through field examination of the system and the one 1940s Army manual I have). I can't think DOT would ever approve of such an arrangement on any modern vehicle because it's got no fail-safe, as far as I can tell.

And I've driven vehicles with unassisted manual brakes for years, so it was quite the shocking ride when I learned to check the air pressure gauge before engaging the transmission on that Deuce & a Half.

Note that with air pressure in the tanks, the pedal is high and hard and it will virtually throw you through the windshield.
              Last edited by 38P; December 13, 2013, 09:47 AM.

Comment

• bump

Comment

• oh, let it die
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

oh, let it die
                    Yep.. Please.. Got everybody playing nice...

Comment

• Unless you want to come out to Kansas.....the farms and hedge rows have several old Dodge (and other brands) of trucks just rotting away......but waiting to become haulers......
                      BTW, somebody earlier was talking about how some wheat trucks seem to hang around....for sure, for sure. I know of at least 3 55- 57 Chevys that are still working the harvest. Love to see 'em out there.
                      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• I agree with Dulcich , I hate to see all those full size cars and wagons gettin destroyed in derby's, its no different than cash for clunkers as far as im concerned.

Comment

Working...
                        X