Taught the daughter how to change a tire just by telling her how. LOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taught the daughter how to change a tire just by telling her how. LOL

I had told my daughter that if she wanted to drive an old vehicle, she needed to understand that they weren't like new ones that most people just hop in and go, so for the last couple of days I have been making her do a pre trip inspection and change a tire. I'm sure to the casual passerby I looked like a tool, sitting there in a chair trying to explain how to do stuff. For only being 5' tall, she got the spare off of the back carrier down off of the FJ40 and installed pretty well. Even if I can't do stuff, it ALMOST feels like I'm getting stuff done. I only hope that if she does ever break down she'll be glad that I'm making her learn this stuff.

You guys got any other ideas that I should try and teach her so she's a little better prepared in case of emergency? She knows how to check the oil, how to change it, how to check the belts and hoses, and how to change out a battery. What am I forgetting?
    Nitrous is like that hot chick with crabs. you want to hit it, you're just afraid of the consequences

Almost forgot, she knows now where all the zerk fittings are, and how to grease them. I'm putting together a little tool pouch with some zip ties, fuses and whatnot. I THINK she understands I'm making her do this for her own good and not to be a butthead.
    Nitrous is like that hot chick with crabs. you want to hit it, you're just afraid of the consequences

Comment

A break down or two and she'll realize. I gave my sister a ton of crap when she got "stranded" for five hours waiting to get a flat tire changed when her "boyfriend" was with her on the trip. Told her it should of been a five minute "pit stop" and back on the road. Ditch the boyfriend because he is clearly useless and learn where your spare tire and jack are.

Way to keep the spirit going Nik. As soon as I got my '77 Buick my Old Man regaled himself to a lawn chair with a beer while he told me what to do.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

You didn't mention the use of jumper cables, and keeping a set in the car. I discovered this week that out of 200+ people were I work I was the only who actually carried a set of cables.

Comment

Originally posted by Whelk View Post
          You didn't mention the use of jumper cables, and keeping a set in the car. I discovered this week that out of 200+ people were I work I was the only who actually carried a set of cables.
          And these days it's implied that you need the smart jumper cables as to not damage the computer in the car. They're cool, the cables don't care which terminal you hook up which end to, they just know. 40 bucks at WalMart or the car parts store.

And changing a tire...that's one of those things that most everybody takes for granted. So straightforward, just do it. Like reading a tape measure. But I've seen few souls who could do neither one, and I honestly can't remember being trained on how to do either one, so I don't know how I learned.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I'd add how to crank and start a flooded engine if it's a carb.. to clear it out and hope it catches..
            how to light and use a road flare.. and or an emergency flashing light..
            you said older vehicle. this thing have manual hubs?? if so. how to get it into locked and how to unlock them after use..
            andlast thing, what to do, and not to do if she has a tire blow out at speed.. THIS SHOULD BE ON EVERY DRIVERS TEST.(but I degress).

edit, one more. to make a habit to walk around the vehicle and a quick check before driving it..
            and a habit of checking the lights every so often. this isn't for older vehicles, but should be part of the drivers habits..
            Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; December 14, 2013, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
              And these days it's implied that you need the smart jumper cables as to not damage the computer in the car. They're cool, the cables don't care which terminal you hook up which end to, they just know. 40 bucks at WalMart or the car parts store.
              I guess, if you can't read or know what the signs - & + mean.. or not to connect the - straight to the battery..

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                I'd add how to crank and start a flooded engine if it's a carb.. to clear it out and hope it catches..
                What's a "carb?"

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                  What's a "carb?"

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                    Oh.

Comment

That's just half a carb
                      Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                      The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
                        That's just half a carb
                        So, is that like....a car part or something?

Comment

Pdub - it's a fluid-operated computer.

And Nik - THANKS for checking in. It's great to have you a part of the BS community whether or not you can build a car. You're still on ME's prayer list - hope it's helping!

Dan
                          Last edited by DanStokes; December 14, 2013, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Good to see you are teaching her to be self sufficient. But I also taught my boys to check, look at their tires daily and check air pressure monthly.
                            OH YEAH
                            Long haul 07. 08. 10, 11, and 13. Looking forward to 2014

Comment

I remember my dad forcing my sister to change the tire and check the fluids on our spare caddy. She thought he was being such a jerk. We thought he was successful, but when he went off to the Navy, she destroyed her first car by running it out of trans fluid. She ran her next car out of oil.
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X