Taught the daughter how to change a tire just by telling her how. LOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
    she destroyed her first car by running it out of trans fluid. She ran her next car out of oil.
    Would it be sexist (yes) to suggest that's a woman thing? Forget trans fluid and oil, my first wife wouldn't even put GAS in the car. We only had one car. Ran out of gas one night going to work on night shift, ran out trying to make it to the gas station. I divorced her later, for other even worser reasons.

EDIT: The car had half a tank when I parked it behind the house that morning. Where all she had been...there's no telling.
    Last edited by pdub; December 14, 2013, 09:51 AM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
      Pdub - it's a fluid-operated computer.

And Nik - THANKS for checking in. It's great to have you a part of the BS community whether or not you can build a car. You're still on ME's prayer list - hope it's helping!

Dan
      all electric years of rochester utilize an amperage as well..

speaking of amperage, you mentioned FJ40.

teach some electrical basics, fuses, fuse links, relays and the flasher(s).

if one bank of lights appears dim, teach her to live it , monkeys built it.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 14, 2013, 09:49 AM.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Nik View Post
        ...What am I forgetting?
        I think every kid learning how to drive, should also learn to drive a stick shift. You never know when a car with a manual trans may be your only option. Few people can just jump in and drive one without first being taught.
        Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Originally posted by jcharliem View Post
          I think every kid learning how to drive, should also learn to drive a stick shift. You never know when a car with a manual trans may be your only option. Few people can just jump in and drive one without first being taught.
          So true. Rob - A guy who has a hotrod shop here in Cleveland and is also an HPDE instructor was down at Road Atlanta last weekend. I was getting caught up with him on Sunday as we were all leaving and he said he was paired with a 15 year old kid for the event. The kid is a go cart champ, had great car handling shills, but Rob was having to show the kid the way around the track while teaching him how to drive with a clutch the whole time.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
            That's just half a carb
            At 500 cfm's, big accelerator pump and jets... More than enough... don't get that "surprise" when the secondaries decide to join the fun...
            But for a drag car... Need 4 barrels...

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
              Would it be sexist (yes) to suggest that's a woman thing? Forget trans fluid and oil, my first wife wouldn't even put GAS in the car. We only had one car. Ran out of gas one night going to work on night shift, ran out trying to make it to the gas station. I divorced her later, for other even worser reasons.

EDIT: The car had half a tank when I parked it behind the house that morning. Where all she had been...there's no telling.
              Just stubborn and refusal to learn anything from dad. She showed him too.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

oh ya,, maybe 10-15 years ago.. not many cars with a stick anymore, and those that do. people are not gonna let just anyone drive

Comment

All of my cars/trucks are sticks......makes 'em harder to steal!
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

hmmm.... a daughter with an FJ-40
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                      All of my cars/trucks are sticks......makes 'em harder to steal!
                      love to put a stick in my junk, but man is it costly.. wait that don't sound right
                      Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; December 14, 2013, 10:25 PM.

Comment

The old FJ40s are stick shift. In fact, that is one of the reasons she wanted it, she wanted to be in control of the vehicle, gear changes and all. Forgot about the jumper cables, I'll have to get her some of those. I want to get her enough tools to help in case of an emergency, but not so many that they look like an easy score for some thief. Original Toyota tool kits are stupidly expensive, so I think she's going to get a nice little Snap On set.

Dan, I appreciate your comment. The toughest part is I know what I'm trying to tell her, but it just doesn't come out right some times. She does love the thing though, so that's always a good start. :D

Nitrous is like that hot chick with crabs. you want to hit it, you're just afraid of the consequences

Comment

I've had a bunch of FJ40s, and to all the above I'd add bolts for the driveshaft (the flange) and wrenches to put them on. I've no idea how many times those silly things came off - but it was often enough that I carried those bits in the glove box of all 7 that I owned.

Jumper cables are good, but a manual - as long as you keep the charging system fine - are not absolutely necessary.... tow strap? yes, but not cables.

and if she wheels - she needs a snatch strap as well as a tow strap; whatever she does, don't use the tow strap to pull the LC out they are not robust enough and, with those missiles on the ends, can really injure someone (the tow hooks). That said, tow straps are fine for towing a vehicle, and snatch straps are $100 (vs. $15 for the tow strap)
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 15, 2013, 08:13 AM.
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I learned to drive a stick mainly by watching my Dad drive his 3 on the tree '80 GMC. The pattern that is. Working the clutch was a little trickier,but I got it down pretty quickly. My Dad had a '73 Nova SS with a 4 speed,and and '72 Pinto with a 4 speed also. Thankfully the Pinto never exploded. I got to practice a lot in the Pinto because we lived in a rural area. I was driving around down there for years before I got my permit. My cousin learned in a VW by driving around my grandparent's pasture with me riding along.

I tried to teach my wife how to drive a stick shift in my Formula. The lurching and grinding was more than I could bear though. My wife flipped a lady off when she honked at his after my wife stalled the car in the middle of the road. We haven't tried again in many years.

My wife had a friend who's Dad took her out in the middle of the pasture with his truck. He left her out there and told her it was up to her to get the truck home.
                            Last edited by Karberator; December 15, 2013, 01:42 PM.
                            sigpic

Allen Karber

Arkadelphia,Arkansas

Comment

Working...
                            X