Just when you think you've seen it all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just when you think you've seen it all

It's about 2AM...just got home from announcing a drag race.

Weirdest incident I've ever seen...ever.

Blown alky dragster...local guy, nice car.

He BACKED OVER and altered that was behind him in line at the top of the staging lanes. Something happened with the transmission in the digger. I saw him thrashing about in the cockpit trying to yank on something, then the car made a slight move backward, then it really went backward.

The altered was positioned behind the dragster but slightly offset so as the dragster came back the wheelie bar missed the altered but the big ass rear tire climbed the front canard and started up the body (This altered has real angular bodywork...it's like a door stop)The huge tire hit the motor, jumped up on the blower hat and continued on a direct path toward the drivers' compartment, where obviously, the driver was. I thought I was going to see someone get killed.

The tire climbed the outside bar of the drivers' hoop and because of the steep angle of that bar, it pitched the car into this bizarre pirouette which ended with the dragster laying upside down (and still running) on the ground, with methanol pouring out of the fuel tank vent in the front of the car.

Amazingly, no one was hurt aside from the altered drivers' hands, which he put up against the tire in a feeble attempt to keep himself from getting killed.

I've seen plenty of racers back into each other, but I have NEVER seen a car climb all the way up on another and then flip off onto the ground. This is a 250 inch wheelbase dragster, a really nice piece.

I hope some photos or video surface from this because it's a series of bizarre events that led up to one of the weirdest things I have ever seen.

I had to tell someone this story because frankly, even I don't believe I saw it happen.

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Re: Just when you think you've seen it all

Wow!

Comment

Stand by for rules changes. ;)
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Doing what I do for a living, I've seen all kinds of weird, wacky, insane stuff that you'd think wouldn't happen in this day and age.

I always know that whatever I've seen, something else is gonna come along an make me go "WTF?!"..

Glad the guys in both cars made it out alive.....sounds like someone needs to rethink his shifter setup.

Comment

THIS WAS THE CRAZIEST ONE EVER ! shelly howard had mid track blow over and hit the support truck which killed her son at the same time
          Former two-time Division 4 Top Alcohol Dragster driver Shelly Howard died Saturday, April 2, as the result of injuries suffered in an exhibition pass at a non-NHRA track in Tulsa, Okla., in an incident that also claimed the life of her son Brian.

According to Will Hanna of InsideTopAlcohol.com, Howard's dragster suffered a blowover wheelstand, which sent the car out of control, eventually striking her support vehicle in which her son was riding.

Howard, a three-time national event winner and Division 4 champion in 2001 and 2003, was runner-up the last two years at the Mac Tools U.S. Nationals. She was the 2004 Jeg's Allstars champion and finished third last season in Division 4 points. This season she already had won the Division 4 Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series opener at Houston Raceway Park.

Comment

Thats really sad.

Comment

Damn...I'd forgotten about Shelly Howard's accident.....that, as a father, makes me cringe.....

Comment

There was a blown alky funny car that did the reverse onto another car trick in the staging area at SIR in Tucson several years ago. Apparently something needs to be done about this....but what, I don't know. How do you get everyone to be careful and pay attention and follow the rules all the time?

In case you wonder why there's a rule about having a licensed driver in the seat whenever the wheels are on the ground and you want to start the engine....back in the 90s a guy in town was in the staging lanes, wanted to play with the timing on his truck, so he got out and hooked up a remote start switch, fired up the engine, and drove his own truck into himself and really messed up his internal organs. He survived, but he was a mess for several years until he died in a wreck on the freeway towing a race car with an S-10 and lost control.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                  back in the 90s a guy in town was in the staging lanes, wanted to play with the timing on his truck, so he got out and hooked up a remote start switch, fired up the engine, and drove his own truck into himself and really messed up his internal organs. He survived, but he was a mess for several years until he died in a wreck on the freeway towing a race car with an S-10 and lost control.
                  That sounds like natural selection.
                  The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Holy Crap......Not Good.

How did you announce that one?

Seth
                    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

The funny thing is, when crap like that happens you earn your money.

Screw that type of deal up or an on track wreck at a national event or premium event you've been hired in for, you can kiss that career goodbye.

1.) You instantly tell people to stay away from the scene
                      2.) You make no mention of the condition of anyone until you are told to by the track manager
                      3.) You go into the typical announcer speil about how safe the cars are and the technology that goes into building them to protect the driver, even from incidents like this, all the while telling people to stay the hell out of the way.

Those are the biggies, but once everyone is pronounced OK you can let it fly.

I talked about how freakish it was and mentioned an incident that occurred at an SCCA race I was doing when a guy spun his car on the pace lap and it resulted in 4 totaled race cars. This happened on a straightaway.

A guy said he has video he will send me. If he does, this will blow your mind.

How'd you like your "live drop in" from Michigan. I told the crowd about it after you hung up. HA!

Brian

Comment

It will show up on Youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes

I talked about how freakish it was and mentioned an incident that occurred at an SCCA race I was doing when a guy spun his car on the pace lap and it resulted in 4 totaled race cars. This happened on a straightaway.

Brian
                          that wouldn't have happened in Canada by chance, would it?

Comment

That one happened at New Hampsire Intl Speedway.

Brian

Comment

I worked for a guy whos driver did almost exactly that at MOSPORT in '97 or so :D

Comment

Working...
                              X