No announcement yet.

SOS. Help. For real.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang....the symptoms sure sound like you are running a ventless propane heater......are you?
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I know you live in a cold area. Does cracking open a window help?

Why not move into the shop a few days instead? Maybe Kathy use that office for awhile..

Comment

Could also check the roof vents for obstruction

Comment

Don't know about the meth but will see if I an find out how to check.

No ventless propane heater, brand new furnace, only a couple years old.

Opening the windows helps only in that it vents the air. The furnace seems to push it through the house more so we have to turn it off sometimes for days. Believe me, I've thought of the shop and haven't ruled it out yet.
          I'm probably wrong

Comment

No obstructions to chimney or vent stack.
            I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post
              Don't know about the meth but will see if I an find out how to check.
              I'dda never thought of that myself, but if that's even remotely possibly the case, get out of there NOW and don't EVER go back. Buy all new stuff.

We're talking a HAZMAT scene, board it up, rope it off, and don't even burn it down.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

used to be this awful smell in the house I grew up in. No one seemed to notice it but me and it would amke me sick to my stomach. Turns out over the years it go so bad my old man started to get a wiff of it now and then and finally found out it was some sort of funk coming from the heater and the ducting. He cleaned the ducts and replaced the heater (it failed eventually) and it went away. Of course all this was well after I was gone.
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Any missing pets? lol

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                    used to be this awful smell in the house I grew up in. No one seemed to notice it but me and it would amke me sick to my stomach. Turns out over the years it go so bad my old man started to get a wiff of it now and then and finally found out it was some sort of funk coming from the heater and the ducting. He cleaned the ducts and replaced the heater (it failed eventually) and it went away. Of course all this was well after I was gone.
                    This one is no joke!..If your HVAC has a humidifier built in, open it up and have a look. They can grow some NASTY stuff, and contaminate the entire duct system. Also, check the drain for the ac. It could be backed up, however I would think it would dry up in the off season(winter).

If your house is on a foundation (not a slab), check for standing water, leaking water lines, or waste lines in the crawl space.

Good luck!
                    A.K.A. Brian
                    Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

go see your doctor - it sounds like you have a sensitivity to a mold in your house, or copper or nickel, or....? if it gets worse when the furnace is on; try using electric radiant heaters for a bit
                      keep a journal as well with all the relevant stuff - temperature, humidity, what you ate, etc.... it really helps the doc nail down what's causing your issues.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                        I was thinking heater too.

any below zero f recently? could be wood gas. wood gas is everybody that lived there crammed into a science experiment.

the house I am in now is 1860. One chimney missing.

from sulfur, to crotch, to deuterium ...

something electric burner if you do not have a wood stove, and keep a flow going.
                        Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Mold .... I've seen it do funky things like that. Get a mold test kit. Next thought is an ex meth house. Some of those chemicals hang around forever.
                          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by redneckjoe69 View Post
                            i'd have to guess mold or mildew in the walls. my sister-in-law had it. would burn my eyes and irritate my throat, make my nose run. some people couldnt smell it, and it wouldnt bother them. it was in her bathroom behind a wall. i guess the water was making it grow like a fungus? when i pulled the wall out you could see it growing. it was a brownish-orange color. i cut and scrapped it out. poured bleach on it many times and it kept growing back. eventually i stopped going over there and they sold the place a few years ago. from what i understand it can actually make you quite sick. i'd check around any water sources and a/c ducts. it only takes a little moisture to grow. i hope you guys get it fixed soon.
                            x2.. toxic funk. A fireplace is a great place for a roof to leak. Snow melt off, rain, had a lot of that recently.
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

This might sound to simple but we had a similar event years ago......albeit not as bad.

We had a drain in the floor in the basement.......the trap dried out and let sewage
                              fumes come into the house.
                              Filled the trap with water and odor went away.

Other good suggestion here as well, especially the mold stuff.
                              Also formaldehyde usual is more noticeable in new construction........will burn your eyes and has a terrible odor.

Good luck
                              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I'm gonna sound like a crackpot...here goes...
                                What do you CLEAN with?
                                Those wipes, sprays Febreeze etc are bad hombres
                                Burn air fresheners? Candles? Carpet deodorizers?
                                My wife says I will probably find it.. I am sensitive to alot of stuff but not gas, diesel, etc
                                Try cleaning old fashion style.. Hot water, vinegar.. baking soda. But not together except in the drains..
                                Like Monk said.. Go around adding water to your unused drains..
                                Got a sump pump? Might be mold or it's drain ... Add a bit of water to make it run.. The standing water might be stagnent
                                Your laundry soap..scented?
                                I use hypo-allergic underarm gel.. Almay is the brand
                                Same with laundry soap..unscented
                                Either of you use perfume, cologne.
                                Last edited by Deaf Bob; December 23, 2013, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X