sleeper motors........high torque/horsepower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: sleeper motors........high torque/horsepower

Don't really have any good pix, but here's my combos that are similar to what you are describing. I have an 85 Monte SS with a 350 and a 67 Malibu with a 327. Both engines have essentially identical hardware. The Monte has factory 305 smog heads (don't laugh, they have tight combustion chambers and flow pretty good for a pair of wheel chocks), and the Chevelle has double-humps. They both have Performer RPM's and .480"/230 @ .050 cams. Both are about 10:1. Both have headers, but the Monte has 3" merged into a single 3.5" muffler while the Chevelle has dual 2.5" exhaust. Both have 700R-4's with 12-bolts. The Monte has 4.10's, and the Chevelle has 3.55's. The Monte weighs about 3500, the Chevelle 3400. The Monte has gone a best of 13.2 @ 103, the Chevelle a 13.9 @ 97.

The Monte has shamed more than a few know-it-all 5.0 Mustang guys who think the big boat can't scoot. Never could touch the ones that know their stuff, though.
    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

383 SBC
      10:1 comp.
      RPM heads, 64cc
      RPM intake (not air gap)
      Holley 650 DP (stock jetting)
      Comp 274 Xtreme cam (nice lope to it, not too crazy)
      2,000 rpm stall
      4.10 gear, w/30X13.50 M/T's
      4300 lbs (w/me)
      13.00 @104mph, 8.1@83mph, 1.8 60ft.

Could do the same (probably better) with steel heads that have some work done to maintain the stealthiness. I have since changed this combo somewhat, but this was very consisitent. I think the slowest my truck went with this combo was 13.20's The motor itself might not be a sleeper, but the truck totally was.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
        Yeah, but you have lattice.... ;D

Brian
        And I'm not afraid to use it!

Comment

Originally posted by J. Crzma-Ray
          I would like to know your horsepower/torque power rating on your engine...
          no exotic stuff. full exhaust. single carburetor, no nitrous,no superchargers/paxton type, no turbos, no double pumpers, no single plane
          no ridiculously high lift,long duration cams, no roller cams or roller rockers, idle can be rough, but not too choppy. fun to drive daily if needed to, and able to get into the 13s in the quarter all the time, even at 3800 lbs.
          would like to get ideas, with out going overboard on my engine. obviously Im looking to see how the sleeper motors are being put together.
          and please post pictures if possible
          OK, '73 455 buick block, 30 over, 9-1 comp, home ported '70 heads, mild cam, Q-jet. The only clues its not stock are headers and the slight cam lope and if you look close, aluminum intake with the logo removed. 3000 convertor, 3.42 gears with traction challenged 235 drag radials (1.85 60 ft). 1/4 mile calculator says 450 hp from a 12.78 @ 105.94 in a 3865 lb. car and driver. I'm guessing about 520 torque. Hope to have it on the chassis dyno in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

The 396 that was in my truck made it to the low 14s at 3000 ft elevation and 4000 lbs plus driver...street radials...3.54 gears...2500 stall....

.060" over mostly stock 66 396 325 hp, only mods were a bigger flat tappet hydraulic cam (233 @ .050, 540 lift), 1-3/4" primary full length headers, and larger valves in the small port closed chamber heads. Stock iron intake, and Qjet, HEI for ignition.

No pics, not much to see....although it did look a lot like this, except that this is a 454 short block with less compression, otherwise the same specs. Not running yet, obviously.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by VTJUNK
              383 SBC
              10:1 comp.
              RPM heads, 64cc
              RPM intake (not air gap)
              Holley 650 DP (stock jetting)
              Comp 274 Xtreme cam (nice lope to it, not too crazy)
              2,000 rpm stall
              4.10 gear, w/30X13.50 M/T's
              4300 lbs (w/me)
              13.00 @104mph, 8.1@83mph, 1.8 60ft.

Could do the same (probably better) with steel heads that have some work done to maintain the stealthiness. I have since changed this combo somewhat, but this was very consisitent. I think the slowest my truck went with this combo was 13.20's The motor itself might not be a sleeper, but the truck totally was.
              I like those times! My '64 has a 388 in it,and it has more cam and CNC ported heads on it than your engine. I haven't been to the track or even hammered it all the way yet,but the times you ran are very encouraging. Don't get me wrong because I'm not knocking your engine at all.

Comment

I like all the examples I see... thanks to all

Comment

.060 350...flat tops....factory crank n rods
                  461 heads...bowl port.....milled .065
                  solid cam.....520 [email protected] dur
                  contender intake.....3310 holley
                  1 5/8 headers....2.5 full exh

ran consistent 13.40@100 in 3650 lbs car....D/A 9100'. With 175 shot n2o it would go 11.67@112

The pic above is the same short block w/ smog heads and milder cam, it now has roughly 80k on it.
                  Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by J. Crzma-Ray
                    "I would like to know your horsepower/torque power rating on your engine...

no double pumpers, no single plane, no ridiculously high lift, long duration cams, no roller cams or roller rockers, idle can be rough, but not too choppy..."
                    Well, that eliminated my ride.
                    Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

454 .030 over 9.0 to 1 compression 781 oval port heads. comp xe262 hyd. flat tappet cam,edelbrock rpm air gap. 825 mighty demon carb, my best pass yesterday was 12.74 @104.9 in an 82 camaro. this thing is almost silent with full 2.5"dual exhaust on it. the rest of the car is simple turbo 400 b&m holeshot 3000 convertor in a stock trans. and 4.10 gears in the rear. It is alittle slower with a 750 vacum secondary holly on it.
                      Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

How about a sleeper crate motor.......350 sbc 400hp/400tq with a 12 month/12,000 warranty all for $2995.00. Year One has this motor that runs off 91 octane which I believe uses some slightly modified vortec heads. I believe this combo could benefit from some aluminum heads and/or a Pro-charger.
                        That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

Its all good, and sweet power.....

Comment

Working...
                          X