• Show
Clear All

• Steam Vs Diesel --tug of war

sigpic

tree'd by Chad who tree'd me
    that makes you the 3rd tree

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

As SBG said, Chad posted this - but I still like it. I'll take torque over HP, especially when pulling. Steam trumps even my beloved Diesel! Actually, a more interesting matchup might be steam vs. electric. Both make max torque right at the start of rotation. Seems like traction would be the main factor but a steam tractor and an electric one (if there IS such a thing - I'll Google for it) would both be plenty heavy.

Back from Google. A quick look didn't show (as far as a I could tell) a large farm tractor that was powered by electricity though John Deere is messing around with one that runs the attachments with electricity so it has a big generator as part of it's flywheel. Probably more exploration is in order.

HMMMmmmmm!

Dan
      Last edited by DanStokes; December 26, 2013, 01:35 PM.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          ...Actually, a more interesting matchup might be steam vs. electric. Both make max torque right at the start of rotation...
          I didn't know that...yet, it makes sense.
          Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            As SBG said, Chad posted this - but I still like it. I'll take torque over HP, especially when pulling. Steam trumps even my beloved Diesel! Actually, a more interesting matchup might be steam vs. electric. Both make max torque right at the start of rotation. Seems like traction would be the main factor but a steam tractor and an electric one (if there IS such a thing - I'll Google for it) would both be plenty heavy.

Back from Google. A quick look didn't show (as far as a I could tell) a large farm tractor that was powered by electricity though John Deere is messing around with one that runs the attachments with electricity so it has a big generator as part of it's flywheel. Probably more exploration is in order.

HMMMmmmmm!

Dan
            Wouldn't that equate to the huge by large off road equipment? (SilverBuick jump in here) Aren't they basically diesel powered generators with individual electric motors in each hub? Would be interesting to see
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BigDad View Post
              You gonna arrest yourself?
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Immediate torque, along with a slight leverage/weight advantage with the drawbar not being level.......but, if steam was so much better, we'd still be using it in our fields.
                Last edited by oletrux4evr; December 26, 2013, 06:07 PM.
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

There is also the weight factor... I kinda doubt the Deere could pull the Steamer in neutral...
                  Old Case I had was so heavy even in N it was hard to pull start...

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                    Immediate torque, along with a slight leverage/weight advantage with the drawbar not being level.......but, if steam was so much better, we'd still be using it in our fields.
                    Jay Leno tells the story of interviewing Mr. Doble, who perfected the steam car in the late 20's. Jay has one and it's ready to drive in 30 seconds after start-up. Mr. Doble (then in his 90's) was asked why steam cars went away and he answered with a bit of annoyance "water freezes". I think that's your answer. More maintenance, one way or the other. But they did have their strong points.

Dan

Comment

And if you don't do the maintenance properly, they can explode.

Five people were killed at the Medina County Fairgrounds when a Case 110 steam traction engine exploded.

Comment

Working...
                      X