Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barrett Jackson Scottsdale. Any tips for a 1st timer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrett Jackson Scottsdale. Any tips for a 1st timer?

A friend (not really a car guy) and I were planning on stopping at the Barrett Jackson sale on Saturday January 18th. Does anyone have any tips/experiences to share. Anything from parking to ticket packages to where to eat or what time to go!

We are not going to be buying anything just want to go look.

There is so much to see and do there besides just watch the cars go across the block. It's like a circus for car guys. All the cars yet to be sold, as well as the the sold cars are lined up in tents, and open to the public. You will not believe the quanity and quality of the cars! Lots of eye candy too, as the high rollers all bring their trophy chicks, dressed to kill. There is a big outdoor midway full of vendors selling everything from food to transmissions and restoration/hot rod parts, plus a huge indoor vendor area. By huge, I mean measured in acres, not square feet! Bring lots of cash, the food is costly, but there is some good munching to be done.

So my advise is: get there when they open, stay till they close! You can not cover it all in a day.

Saturday night when the big dollars cars roll thru, plan on a standing room only crowd. The free seats fill up at around 3:00 -4:00 , so if you are unable to stand for a few hours, stake out a seat early, or else buy a bidders pass. If you don't mind blowing the bucks for a bidders pass, then you can sit anywhere, and there is preffered seating for bidders, and free booze in the lounge.

Have fun and enjoy the circus!
    Last edited by Hemi Joel; January 3, 2014, 01:58 PM.

Comment

What Hemi said. No matter if you go Sat or not the cars will all be there for you to look at. You can walk right amoung them. Best car show I've been to as a non-participant. It's is funny to watch those old rich guys with their 3d long leg trouphy wife when she leans over and says "Ohh I like that one" and he's waving his hand all over the place to get that bid in. I always wonder about those relationships but I don't know why. Any way again, like Hemi says there are almost as many vendors as there are at a major NSRA or Good Guys event and some of them have some pretty good specials. Depends on what you're looking for, but you might find just that part you're looking for. As far as eatting? We ate but I don't remember what. They got the usual car meet fair. If you don't eat too much of it at the auction, there's a good Mexican resturant just about any where you look in Phoenix. Have fun.

Comment

Take plenty of money.
        Do not bid while drinking.
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

1. Don't swing on the asshole in the bidding pit, even if he assaulted you first. Ask me how I know.
          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z View Post
            1. Don't swing on the asshole in the bidding pit, even if he assaulted you first. Ask me how I know.
            Oh man, that sounds like a good story lol. Do tell

Comment

Last year (pretty sure) when Alex joined me at B-J, we ended up going through the bidding pit. I usually avoid it, as it's like a freakin' shark tank with one drop of blood added. As we made our way up the (as viewing the stage from crowd perspective) right side of the pit, a '70 442 droptop hit the block. I asked security if I could get a quick pic, and they showed me where I could stand. Brought the camera up, framed the car, and next thing I knew my camera was being shoved into my sinus cavity. I sorted myself out pretty quick and some older guy is staring me down. "Watch where you're walking, you f*cking peasant."

Yeah...sometimes my temper control fails.

He got one good body shot in the sternum and I moved toward the exit.
              Last edited by BangShift McT; January 4, 2014, 12:07 PM.

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Didn't realize there would be a midway, I guess it stands to reason. As a recently single fellow I guess flirting with somebody's trophy wife will be an extra bonus!lol It appears a bidders pass is $500 so that isn't going to happen. I am not interested in buying anything at all, actually starting to lean towards liquidating in case an overseas job comes up and I move.

Found this article that had some good tips:
                The Barrett-Jackson auctions are a must-attend for any true car nut, even if you're just window shopping and never bid. But how does a first-timer survive the sensory overload with sanity intact? Read on and find out...

The flights,hotel,and rental car is booked. I have to decide if I should take the golf clubs and need to schedule an appointment with the property manager in Maricopa then I should be good to go!
                Last edited by 68 Valiant; January 4, 2014, 01:56 PM.

Comment

If you get to liquidation and have a hot LA or some good parts laying around, please keep me in mind lol

Comment

RM auction is going on at the same time in Phoenix at the Biltmore Hotel, IMO I would go to the RM after seeing the list of cars that are going to be auctioned off

Ferrari 250 and 275 gt's, porsche 959, austin martin db5

View information on collector car auction dates, schedule details, event info, how to register to bid, how to consign, or how to buy tickets for RM Sotheby's. Our auction calendar includes annual and bi-annual auction events around the world, collection auctions and online only auctions. Learn more!
                    Last edited by BOOOGHAR; January 4, 2014, 09:52 PM.
                    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Go there and enjoy, lots of cool cars, good food(Remy can attest to that ), and plenty of vendors with cool stuff to check out. I'm not sure if I'll go this year or not, but if I do, I'm just going to hang out in the VIP bar area and do a little networking. Also on Saturday night after the show everyone heads up to the Scottsdale Pavillions, there will be cars galore and it's something you should make sure to check out. I'll definitely be there that night, just look for my white '99 Camaro. The Pavillions are at Pima Rd and Indian Bend. Here's a link to mapquest.It all goes on at the McDonalds on the north side of the road.

Last edited by BigAL; January 4, 2014, 09:55 PM.
                      The Green Machine.
                      http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
                        RM auction is going on at the same time in Phoenix at the Biltmore Hotel, IMO I would go to the RM after seeing the list of cars that are going to be auctioned off

Ferrari 250 and 275 gt's, porsche 959, austin martin db5

http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/?SaleCode=AZ14&sort=lot
                        There is the Russo/Steel auction to. That's up there along the 101 between Scottsdale and Hayden roads, on the south side fo the freeway, you can see it from the road.

Last edited by BigAL; January 4, 2014, 10:00 PM.
                        The Green Machine.
                        http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

RM has some incredible cars crossing the block, Including Harry Van Iderstines Duesenberg Murphy Convertible coupe, A true survivor with only 3 owners from new. But if you only have Saturday, forget it. The auction is Thursday and Friday, and open to registered bidders only. The preview, which is open to the public, is Wednesday.

Comment

We won't be down there till late Thursday. Friday will be a business day so the RM Auction is out of the cards.

Comment

Working...
                            X