2 post lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 post lift

I'm wanting a 2 post lift and was wondering where your is located in your shop I have a 28x30 garage with it 30' wide and 28' deep... how far are you from the back wall been thinking 12' to the center of post. lift is a symmetric lift but can be used Asymmetric with the rear arms having 3 extension
    Last edited by quick 52; January 5, 2014, 01:25 PM.
    Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
    Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

I'll measure mine tomorrow when I'm out in the shop. I know mine is just a bit too close to the door and I have to be fussy when I put the Dodge (Truck) up or the rear will hit the "roll" of the overhead door. The S-10 and other normal-sized vehicles are no problem. Mine sits at a slight angle so that I have plenty of clearance for a bench between the hoist and the wall - works OK. When I installed the mezzanine the corner gets a bit close and I've played with the idea of remounting the hoist a bit further into the shop and a little straighter so there would be more clearance to the corner of the mezz. But it doen't bother me enough to actually DO anything about it!

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; January 5, 2014, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Mine came with recommendations on placement, and minimum distance from walls, etc.

I was sort of stuck with the location since the building is only 30ft deep, with a floor drain down the center, so, I had to put it close to the drain on one side or the other to center it. As is my 21ft long truck barely fits to close the door.

Is your ceiling flat or do you have scissor trusses? The new barn doesn't have the ceiling height for a 2 post, need to put up an addition with higher ceilings.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
        Mine came with recommendations on placement, and minimum distance from walls, etc.

I was sort of stuck with the location since the building is only 30ft deep, with a floor drain down the center, so, I had to put it close to the drain on one side or the other to center it. As is my 21ft long truck barely fits to close the door.

Is your ceiling flat or do you have scissor trusses? The new barn doesn't have the ceiling height for a 2 post, need to put up an addition with higher ceilings.
        When I had the shop built I had 12' ceiling included they came out 12'5".. the hoist im looking at is a min of 143.5" max of 149" so its very close

Comment

Originally posted by quick 52 View Post
          I'm wanting a 2 post lift and was wondering where your is located in your shop I have a 28x30 garage with it 30' wide and 28' deep... how far are you from the back wall been thinking 12' to the center of post. lift is a symmetric lift but can be used Asymmetric with the rear arms having 3 extension
          You want the post to be inline with with the mirror on the door, that is usually about the area you'll rack a car at so you can still open the drivers door. Best thing to do is take a car with a long front end and park where the hoist is going to go, then mark on the ground where you want the posts to be. Then in front of the car you'll want 6-8 feet of workign space, that way you can have a 24" wide work bench in front of the car against the wall and still have room to move around between the bench and the front of the car. Being that you have 28 feet your going to have to measure the longest car you have and make adjustments from there. You might not be able to have the work bench in front of the car. You will also need a 12 foot ceiling, I'm actually making the ceiling of my canopy 13', because there are some connections for the hydraulics that are up there in the crossover brace where the cables run and I want to be able to get to them.
          The Green Machine.
          http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

This is the lift I got. It's a great lift, took my '04 Suburban with no problems.

And a little video about quality of lifts, I feel this is a must see, it'll really make you think about buying a cheap lift.

The Green Machine.
            http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

My shop in Michigan used full 8 foot 2X4s in the sidewalls and that sat on 2 rows of concrete blocks. Then I had scissor trusses over the hoist bay. The eves were about 10 feet and the high point of the scissor truss ceiling was about 13' IIRC. There wasn't any extra height but it was sufficient. But I'm pretty short and I didn't need to car up as far as many might like. All of this is to say that the 12' should be fine though a lifted 4X4 might be a close fit. This shop has a Gilbarco in-ground that I bought used. I was a great hoist and a real anvil (tough enough to take a beating). The shop and the hoist are still there, unused. A damn shame.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                My shop in Michigan used full 8 foot 2X4s in the sidewalls and that sat on 2 rows of concrete blocks. Then I had scissor trusses over the hoist bay. The eves were about 10 feet and the high point of the scissor truss ceiling was about 13' IIRC. There wasn't any extra height but it was sufficient. But I'm pretty short and I didn't need to car up as far as many might like. All of this is to say that the 12' should be fine though a lifted 4X4 might be a close fit. This shop has a Gilbarco in-ground that I bought used. I was a great hoist and a real anvil (tough enough to take a beating). The shop and the hoist are still there, unused. A damn shame.

Dan
                I m good on height just want to know from the back wall .. back wall to center of post

Comment

30x36' shop, 9' off the wall. I don't have an asymmetric lift - so the nose is pointed the 9' direction when a car is on the lift.

With that said, were I to do it over again, I'd turn the lift around so the exhaust pipes aim out the door rather than into the middle of the shop.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Well it looks like the weather should warm up a little next week.. so I hope to get the trailer out of the back yard have about a 100' to it with about 18" of snow... Cant wait for a hoist will nice not laying on the floor anymore

Comment

I would leave enough space to back an engine hoist with an engine/trans on it without backing myself into the wall.
                      Originally posted by quick 52 View Post
                      STUGOTS

Comment

That's exactly what I did and I considered a bench on the wall also. It came in handy yesterday when I put in the motor and tranny in my 39 Ford. Could not have been happier. Plenty of room to manuver.
                        Solutions are often obvious once you get the questions right.

Comment

Working...
                        X