School me!!!! Band exhaust clamps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
    used these on our grandprix exhaust... just make sure to clean the pipes and get the clamps tight enough!

will not use the old guillotine clamps again if I can help it!
    I've used these in the lap joint style in several placed on my Riviera both on the old TA 2.5in system on the Nailhead and the new 3/2.5in on the Turbo6. I've never used the butt style units where you don't have the pieces of tubing sliding inside of one another but the lap joint ones will seal with only like 0.75in of engagement between the two pipes. Had to do that when I put the mufflers out back with the nailhead and a pair of S-pipes where the mufflers were.
    This is the summit link to the brand I used: http://www.summitracing.com/search/d...walker-exhaust
    Last edited by CTX-SLPR; January 7, 2014, 06:48 AM.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Sorry Beags, I didn't mean to be contrary. But, some people are very literal.
      I'm still learning

Comment

no worries here, I've used beer cartons for 3 bolt flange gaskets before. haha. I failed.
        Last edited by Beagle; January 7, 2014, 06:11 PM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
          I think he's using the collector ends as an example, not that he's gonna try to use header collectors and duct tape around the outside! Thanks for the clarifying pictures, but I think Mark's understanding was correct. There is a taper on the clamp that both aligns and forces them together.
          B-I-N-G-O!!.. just using the header parts as an exp. of the way it fits together..

Comment

let's not underestimate the power of cut up beer cans, duct tape, and hose clamps when it comes to getting a car inspected. haha.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
              let's not underestimate the power of cut up beer cans, duct tape, and hose clamps when it comes to getting a car inspected. haha.
              nope, and don't forget the steel wool in the pipe with a screw in pipe to keep it there until testing is done.. then remove screw and goose the gas..

Comment

used these on our grandprix exhaust... just make sure to clean the pipes and get the clamps tight enough!

This is what I used - so far so good - makes for an easy connection that's simple to get back apart too, and allows for some expansion and contraction with heat.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                  This is what I used - so far so good - makes for an easy connection that's simple to get back apart too, and allows for some expansion and contraction with heat.
                  Ya and sometimes they are so easy to get apart that they do it all on their own. Those types fo clamps came with the OBX headers I had on my '99 Z28. On that setup the pipes slid into eachother and then you clamped it, when I took the headers off the pipes were no longer slid into each other and the only thing that was holding them together was the clamp. IMO the metal on those types of clamps is to thin and stretches easily. Or at least that is how it was with the OBX ones I used.
                  Last edited by BigAL; January 9, 2014, 08:59 AM.
                  The Green Machine.
                  http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Big Al - I'm worried about that - I'll let you know if the ones I used ( I think from summit or napa, can't recall) work out OK.

There's not much wiggle room on my system as far as the pipes coming out while driving, but we'll see what happens.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Think I'll try these, as it looks like each end is sized for a slip pipe joint.. and will require no welding.. if it doesn't hold I'll move up to the weld "v" clamp type.. we'll see, hoping to get junkyard headers blasted soon, and if they don't become holy, I'll save for the magna flow stainless kit.. as I plan on keeping this truck a long time.. as seen as the photo said oreilly, I'll mostlikely upgrade the hardware once in hand.. if it's grade nothing, or 5 .. hope to find the clamps in stainless as exhaust parts rust like crazy .. hardware can be steel.. as it's easily replaced.. have to look at the kit, it might come with clamps like this..
                      Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; January 9, 2014, 10:24 AM.

Comment

One of the reasons for using stainless v-band clamps is serviceability and long term reliability. A primary use is for turbo plumbing on aircraft, no tolerance for failure environment if there ever was one.

I use them for my exhuast system, after the x-pipe and, after the muffler at the turn up over the rear end. They make for easy on and off as well as adjustment on the. Not cheap, especially well made Ameerican parts by companies like Five Star, but worth every penny. Just my $.02.
                        Attached Files
                        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Working...
                        X