Are bumper guards uncool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are bumper guards uncool?

Removing the bumper guards was the very first thing I did to Big Olds. I thought they were ugly. "Uncool" makes no difference to me, BUT if I think something on my car is unsightly it's coming off or I'm changing it somehow.

I LOVE the smoothness of your bumper now.

Comment

I think your car looks pretty smooth without them. However it's not like they're shoe-box sized lumps on there either. Looks kind of nice with them too. Guess it's up to you since I've been absolutely no help.
      sigpic

Comment

Tough question.Leave them off for awhile. You can always go back later if you want.

Comment

Had them on a 66 Mustang, bought new bumpers and the valance panels to delete the guards. Cleaner looking I think.

leave them off the Camaro, looks much better.

Comment

Bumper guards are cool. I love them.

People don't like them for psychological reasons. Its all in the name-- if they were called "sport widgets" or "drag-car push pads" or something like that, they would sell truckloads of them. Point in case-- tow bar brackets on old drag cars. You know, the pieces of steel with a 1/2" or so hole that hang out from under the front bumper. Now, they are a lot less aesthetically appealling than bumper guards. However, they are perceived as cool because of their intended use. People think of shopping carts and things like that when they think of bumper guards; shopping carts are not cool, therefore bumper guards are perceived as not cool.

Leave them on. The front of your Camaro looks too boring without them.

The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Shopping carts not cool? I beg to differ ;D

Comment

Originally posted by VTJUNK
                I agree, nothing like a bunch of friends in a parking lot with some beer and a shopping cart to add to the evenings festivities. ;D

Comment

I say if you leave them off the front, take them off the back too.

I lean towards no bumper guards, but it looks good both ways IMO.

By the way, the license plate protects that part of the lower valence from rock chips. I like the look w/o the plate, but be ready with the touch up paint.

Comment

Originally posted by HotRodLadyCrusr
                    Originally posted by VTJUNK
                    I agree, nothing like a bunch of friends in a parking lot with some beer and a shopping cart to add to the evenings festivities. ;D
                    Haha, I meant in the absence of beer and pulse jet engines.
                    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by dagenesta
                      Bumper guards are cool. I love them.

People don't like them for psychological reasons. Its all in the name-- if they were called "sport widgets" or "drag-car push pads" or something like that, they would sell truckloads of them. Point in case-- tow bar brackets on old drag cars. You know, the pieces of steel with a 1/2" or so hole that hang out from under the front bumper. Now, they are a lot less aesthetically appealling than bumper guards. However, they are perceived as cool because of their intended use. People think of shopping carts and things like that when they think of bumper guards; shopping carts are not cool, therefore bumper guards are perceived as not cool.

Leave them on. The front of your Camaro looks too boring without them.

I thought bumper guards were designed for pushing shopping carts across the parking lot?
                      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I like things that are plain and simple, ( like my wife ;D). I think it is much cleaner without them. and I also agree that without them on the frt, should have none on the rear. Doug
                        Reading , Pa
                        Good Guys rodders rep.
                        "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                        Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

I think that camaro looks mighty fine with them on or off.

Green dusters however should never, ever have bumper guards....

Comment

I'm wondering about the ones on my Caprice. I kinda like them, though mostly I do not like overriders on most cars.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

IMO, bumper guards are a major violation when they get into the monster '72-up rammers. The factory ones earlier than that can be acceptable, but a car is almost always cleaner without.

Cop-car pushbars, however, are almost never a violation.

Comment

These couldn't possibly a violation when they are the factory item, and not owner installed like most.
                                I like the car with or without. ;)

The RS option is a style and not a performance option anyway, so they actually suit the RS better than say an SS or standard grille in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X