Rock tumblers for parts cleaning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock tumblers for parts cleaning question

Does anyone here use a rock tumbler to clean nuts, bolts, and small parts? If so, tell me what media you use. Solid, liquid, or a combo of both. SPECIFICS please. THX
    Attached Files
    Last edited by groucho; January 6, 2014, 07:01 PM.
    STUGOTS

Groucho, we do a lot of this at work on various parts. We always use a combination of solid media with liquid, basically soapy water. The plain hard media is too aggressive.
    I R Bob
    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Will Simple green sub for the soapy water? What's the solid media?
      Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
      Groucho, we do a lot of this at work on various parts. We always use a combination of solid media with liquid, basically soapy water. The plain hard media is too aggressive.
      STUGOTS

Comment

The media we use is ceramic. I would assume that Simple Green would work pretty well as it's mostly used as a lubricant.
        I R Bob
        You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Assuming you already have one..
          Rocks get made smooth because of the grit they use.. If you used the polishing beads which are plastic like balls it might work..
          Whatever you use.. Dawn with water, gasoline or whatnot..remember the tumbler usually does not have vents and some stuff expands like gas in a can left in the hot sun..
          If you are buying.. Look into vibration type cleaners used for ammo brass cleaning..
          They are a bowl like thing that has a vibrator built on it and uses walnut shells or sand for scouring medium..

Tumblers MAY or MAY NOT nick threads on bolts
          Need a medium to cushion and scrub the item in the tumbler..
          Water is used with rocks as a cushion..
          It has been done with nuts and bolts.. I have been told it was the stupidest thing he done to the best thing since sliced bread..
          It is what you use as cushion (liquid) and scouring medium, (sand, or grinder grit, or plastic pellets or nut shells) that determines success or failure..

Comment

Pinesol and ultrasonic cleaners seem to do a really good job on used brass - don't flame me, just sharing what I found. Pinesol may work in the tumbler. I'd use BB's and pinesol, based on having spent way to many hours running cleaner over a nut and turning it over and letting the solvent "dissolve" the junk on it.
            Last edited by Beagle; January 7, 2014, 05:03 AM.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I never considered this. I'll be watching this thread. Bob (BluLightning) works for Swagelok and they make BEAUTIFUL instrument-grade plumbing bits so I'll wager they have the finest methods and procedures. We used lots of their SS fittings and the finishes are flawless.

Dan

Comment

I got some stuff at tractor supply.. http://media.tractorsupply.com/s7vie...ges/spacer.gif

Comment

Dad and I had to clean a motorcycle carb. He used an old sander taped to paint can. Used Simple Green for a solvent, made lots of noise but worked ok.
                  Attached Files
                  Lon. HazelGreen Ala.

Comment

Genius!
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I've been looking into a vibratory tumbler for carb parts. I have a heated sonic cleaner that gets the dirt off but these 40-70year old carbs need something more aggressive. I haven't bought one as yet.
                      A Carter Carb Shop, sales and service

Comment

The sander one makes me sure my old letter sorter will work after all.. It shakes the mail into a nice stack..

Comment

So, here's what we got. $15 media (w/25% coupon) from HF and some water with dish washing soap over night (maybe 16 hrs). I'll try during the day next time to see if I coulda saved some wear of the machine by checking sooner. I'm happy! Thoughts?
                          Attached Files
                          STUGOTS

Comment

Looks like it worked pretty well. I like Lon's system, too and I have the raw materials.

Dan

Comment

When I need to clean engine bolts and nuts I use Berryman Carb clean in the one gallon pail. Make sure you get a basket with it. I use the five gallon pail for aluminium intakes and carburetors. This chemical works great for dirt, grease and some rust.

Comment

Working...
                              X