No announcement yet.

Rock tumblers for parts cleaning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I hate aboutthe wire wheel is I can't hear where the bolt or nut goes to... when it gets caught...

Comment

Yeah, they're like freakin missiles
      Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
      What I hate aboutthe wire wheel is I can't hear where the bolt or nut goes to... when it gets caught...
      STUGOTS

Comment

from the rear of the grinder where the outlet port is, put an appropriately sized pipe elbow and piece of pipe leading down into a garbage can - all the junk off the stuff ends up in the pipe and eventually the can, and - with any luck at all - the projectile missiles end up in the can.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Mine's a stand with a motor mounted on. 30 gallon barrel..

Comment

I've been a wire wheel guy forever.

However, the vibratory tumbler can work while I'm sleeping, can't same the same for the wire wheel.
            I'm still learning

Comment

I used to use wire wheels, but it's hard to find wheels that don't "shed" while in use.. picking wire out of skin isn't the fun it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                I've been told that walnut shells are the answer. ??
                I use walnut sheels in the media blaster. It replaced the glass beads because solvents won't 'stick' to the glass beads to wash them out of a metering block - for instance. You spray carb cleaner etc on them and it has no effect, the walnut media will wash right out because the liquid will stick to it like water will stick to your hand when it gets 'wet'. The glass beads just sheds the liquid and won't wash out.
                A Carter Carb Shop, sales and service

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                  What I hate aboutthe wire wheel is I can't hear where the bolt or nut goes to... (removed: when it gets caught) After it bounces off your eyeball...
                  black snot is not much fun either. I'm gonna try the ultrasonic / pinesol gig this winter I think. Pinesol smells so much better than Chem Dip.
                  Last edited by Beagle; January 14, 2014, 08:30 AM.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

the benefit of the tumbler IMHO is TIME
                    you don't have to stand at the grinder or blaster for x time using up electricity and / or compressed air to do the cleaning of small parts.

put it in turn it on - walk away - tomorrow, or later today - the job is done and it didn't cost you any TIME - that's huge.

How much do these tumblers cost and what's a good size to get?

DON'T USE CHEAP WIRE WHEELS! Spend a few extra bucks on a good one, you'll save a lot of perforated skin and clothing.
                    Last edited by milner351; January 14, 2014, 10:56 AM.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post

DON'T USE CHEAP WIRE WHEELS! Spend a few extra bucks on a good one, you'll save a lot of perforated skin and clothing.
                      still got a bristle in the meat beside my knee that screws with MRI.. can't get a good pic so doc knows if my knee should be replaced

Comment

Working...
                      X